alternative for the DLink DIR 615 worthless junk

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I have 2 internet connections for which I have,

1. Belkin N300 Wireless modem and it works great. Zero issues and over a year.
2. DLink DIR 615. (Am absolutely complete worthless piece of junk which should have never been released into the market. Works for couple of days, and then next couple of days keeps booting itself and other wireless networks off the network. Shittiest piece of hardware i have owned!!)
I have decided to dump the DLink and get another one.

Require a WAN input router. Typically browse, watch videos and download stuff. Any particular suggestions?
Would I need a Single or dual channel one?

Also, are there any issues that I should be aware of while getting a second wireless modem such that there are no conflicts in the wireless network between the two modems?

The two modems will be placed next to each other. I have a 5 & 10Mbps connection. Desktop connected using DLink DWA 525 Wireless card (N150). Plus other wireless devices will be connected..

The brand will make very little difference. All brands get hardware failures eventually just how lucky you get since most everything is built by foxcom in china with almost the same parts.

The largest issue you will have is putting the 2 routers next to each other. You really need to run one on the 2.4 band and the other on 5g band.

Now you can run them both on 2.4 if you disable the ability to run wide bands. This means you will at max run about 56m. It also means there is no reason to buy a router that supports faster if you cannot use it. The reason it does this is because to get 150 or more it must use 2 channels. there are only 3 so if both try to use 2 channels you guarantee interference and if you have the routers next to each other you pretty much just get them stomping all over each other.

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
this was not a hardware failure which is quite normal in electronics. This was a failed model.

Loads of people have faced issues of being booted from network regularly. And this device had this issue from around the time we got it. I could not return this since we got it from a different country on way back.

I have had good luck with that router but I was loading dd-wrt firmware on it from the start. The support for dd-wrt was the key reason I bought that router. Then again there are like 5 revisions of that router all called 615 and they are very different so its hard to say if some are good and some are bad.

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

Correct me if I am wrong. So either N150 or N300 will work for me. Its only when I go over 150 Mbps (N150) and if I have another modem around, then I *could* face issues. Right?
Also, hypothetically considering that I am using only one single band on both modems (either the 2.4 or the 5 GHz band), its not like they will be using the same carrier within that, right? There should be multiple channels within that. Else no other modem will work around it. So wouldnt the two modems be using 2 different carrier frequencies, hence negating the conflicts?
(I see in my modem settings it has 11 channels or so within it)

On the circuit out of the house they should be separate.

There are in theory 11 channels but only 1,6,11 are non overlapping. when you use 150 you use 1&6 or 6&11 which gurantees a overlap on 6.

Any other options you get partial overlaps.