R9 290x Room Temperature vs GTX 780

aplats

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
So I have a R9 290x on its way (to put in my Silverstone FT02), but now the GTX 780 is cheaper... I picked out the 290x for a few reasons:

1. Cheaper (at the time)
2. I use a wide gamut monitor for photo work and AMD's drivers work better for color calibration in games
3. It's a beast on performance.
4. Some of the new features mantle and trueaudio seem interesting, although I'm not sure if Mantle is going to be the next Glide and not take off well enough.
5. Came with battlefield, although Nvidia's bundle is more enticing to me.

I've only used Nvidia before and have a 680 in my gaming HTPC that works great.

Now for the question:

My workstation computer is in a closet that is around 6ft x 6ft. There is no AC vent in there, but the small room next to it does have a duct. I'm concerned about heat in this room. I understand that any GPU (including my current GTX 285) is going to heat that little closet up, but I'm wondering if there will be a noticeable difference between the 290x and the 780... I know the 290x will put out more heat as it consumes about 14% more watts under load.

Do you guys think it will be a noticeable difference? I understand there are a lot of variables in involved, but assume airflow in the room isn't the best.

Since more watts consumes = more heat dumped into the room, are there any other factors to consider, such as the processor running at 95 (290x) vs 80 (780)? I know that those temperature don't mean much for ambient room temps, but do they have an effect on how hot the room can get in the long run? As opposed to the wattage which correlates to how fast the room will get hot.

Hope this questions isn't totally stupid... I just think it's going to be warm either way, but trying to determine if I should send back the 290x and get the 780.

P.S. I prefer to use a reference blower design since I have a 90 degree rotated motherboard (Silverstone FT02 case).

aplats

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
I decided to send back the 290x. Although it would only slightly heat the room up quicker than the 780, I think it will be too noisy for my tastes, and I figured out amd would be no better with the wide gamut monitor.

I'll wait for the 780ti to come out and see what it looks like. Otherwise I might pick up a 780 with (what I consider) a better game bundle, or the 290x with better cooling for noise and a better game bundle.

TRENDING THREADS