Rebuilding my pc $600 budget please critique build

crazboy84

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Rebuilding my old pc using what old parts I can to maximize funds available for parts that matter. Replacing the mobo, ram, cpu, gpu, power supply, and dvd drive (current dvd drive uses IDE)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1UKts

So here is what I have put together so far. Im buying all the parts from microcenter or frys to avoid any shipping/return nightmares.

Im open to any and all suggestions and also would like to know what additional wires, parts, etc I should anticipate buying. I know I need the silicon gel for the heatsink/cpu connection.

One particular question, I was suggested the GTX 760 for my GPU, any other suggestions that may be better? With the GTX 760 which brand is considered the best? I just picked the one I have in the build from the reviews I saw.

Ive done an A+ class in college so I know my way around the innards of a computer but this will be my first time outside of the classroom so any tips, guides, advice on pitfalls to avoid are more than welcome!

Thank you all for your help!!!

g-unit1111

Titan
Get the FX-6350 - it is a much stronger CPU for not much more money. I would also second getting a better PSU, but do not get a Corsair CX series, it will not power that rig. Get a Seasonic instead or Super Flower, something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703035

I would also recommend Gigabyte or EVGA for your GPU vendor over Asus. Also do not purchase a Hitachi HD, get a Seagate or WD instead. And ditch the BD-R reader, get a regular DVD drive instead - put the money toward a better PSU and the FX-6350. Also forgot - Apevia cases are absolute trash, do not purchase. Get a Corsair, Antec, NZXT, and so on.

The FX 6350 is stronger , but the only difference between the 6300 and the 6350 is the clock speed and the cooler you get with it .

Most system builders will add a cooler of there own so there is little point paying for the 6350 IMO since you can get the same overclock with 3 mouse clicks

crazboy84

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1UTs4

Ok here are some updates ive made using yalls suggestions and thanks its all very appreciated.

Couple notes, i refuse to buy any of this online. I live close to frys and microcenter and microcenter has everything on my list at prices very close to newegg's without the hassle of shipping. yea i miss out on bundles and free games, but its worth it to me to not deal with the shipping and considering the amount if items i am buying its increased probability there will be a problem with at least one.

Also someone said somthing about the case and HD, i already own these in my current build, im rebuilding not replacing.

And for the disc drive, I prolly wont be buying this immediatly i dont use discs that often but i want blue ray when i do buy one.

Also, i want to be able to play on my 60in tv listed below, plus i do plan on eventually upgrading my monitor, does this graphics card cut it for this tv?
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-60LM7200-led-tv

the budget is american government style :p its just recommended by the wife, hell im already over as it is. Ill probably buy everything but the graphics card and the optical drive on the 5th when i get paid then get whatever else when i get paid on the 20th. My current graphics card should suffice for a couple weeks.

Tell me what yall thnking about the updated build!

zichus

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
i think also that you could buy easily FX 6300 and save some money. You can OC that to the FX6350 level and spend the additional $$ somewhere else.

crazboy84

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
The cost difference is pretty minimal and the 6350 is made with better silicon to OC even higher.

Any other suggestions from you guys? Planning on building on 11/5 and ill post results!

g-unit1111

Titan
And for the disc drive, I prolly wont be buying this immediatly i dont use discs that often but i want blue ray when i do buy one.

Optical drives aren't really necessary anymore. Everything is moving toward cloud computing and online distribution. I personally wouldn't spend the money on one. If you really need one you can always add one in later.

Don't purchase that case - Apevia cases are complete trash. There's far better you could go with. And the Corsair CX430 will not power that build. I've seen it fail on me on multiple systems of different configurations. And Hitachi hard drives also have a higher fail rate than Seagate or WD.

This is what I would suggest IMO:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($265.66 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($71.30 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $765.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-31 14:34 EDT-0400)

- Better case
- Better PSU
- Better primary HD

crazboy84

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Like I said above, im rebuilding. im not replacing my case and spending money on it its fine. the hard drive is fine too. Im already over budget and have to cut corners where I can. I do however agree the opitical drive is not a necessity and ill prolly just pick that up in a month or so.

zichus

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

How do you know that its not the same silicon?