Dell Officially Goes Private, Delists from Nasdaq

Status
Not open for further replies.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Lets hope this sets a precedence on how companies can fix their shit up instead of taking the 'bankruptcy' approach.

Good luck Michael.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
great news. I look forward to seeing what Dell comes up with. if they really want to shake things up, they could take a stab at a steambox.

Good luck Mr. Dell, IMO the first step should be to improve quality and design. There is no good reason for a desktop mid-tower to weigh 40lbs+. Second step should be better options and value.

I'll be watching what they do, but I haven't recommended Dell for an OEM machine in many years, maybe that will change, but I wont hold my breath.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Dell USED to produce good hardware. Used to...

I'm not sure whether or not going public, followed by answering to short term demands of investors killed their quality, but that's what it seems like. Although, I think every company suffers from this problem (I AM NOT A BUSINESS MAJOR, just what I see). Hopefully going private can cure this.

Would I buy anything Dell makes now? NO. If they can turn the ship around and show their unwillingness to cut corners and make a quality product at a decent price, then that will earn them their name back on the table to a lot a companies looking for solid turn-key computer solutions.

theLiminator

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I've always been of the opinion that their workstation class hardware has been quite reliable. Even their consumer stuff is decent. The main thing with dell is that they're less competitive with price, and often their hardware is hard to do repairs on yourself.

I would never suggest a Dell computer for an individual, but their business units were so good 10 years ago, and I really hope that they get their act together and standardize the industry again. Let's see an army of NUC sized devices that you can slap on the back of a nice Dell monitor for business use which are dirt cheap! Businesses would love that model so much better than the AIO units being pumped out by most companies!

I wouldn't buy a Dell then and I wouldn't buy a Dell now. The only "brand-in-a-box" desktop I ever owned was an IBM PC in 1985, (well my dad did...lol) and of course, back then, . My first computer after that was a 286-16 that I built myself in 1988 and I haven't looked back since. All of these "manufacturers" are famous for filling people's minds with more marketing BS than technology. How else could an i3 with a GT 240 be called a "gaming monster"? I also remember BTX-spec Dell computers and Dells with no PCI-Express slots. Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick to building my own and for friends & family, these corporate geniuses who make money screwing people can look elsewhere for suckers as far as I'm concerned. I worked at Tiger Direct and I'll tell you that as far as desktops are concerned, all the "manufacturers" (I say that because they all buy prebuilt PCs from China and throw their names on them) have at least one flaw in their machines that prevent them from becoming useful. The most common flaw - the 250-300W PSU. I can't tell you how many times I've seen these companies doing everything that they could to keep everything proprietary in an attempt to eliminate real competiton but Dell using the BTX standard really took the cake. Even when it came to buying a laptop, Acer consistently was a better value than Dell. Dude, I'm never getting a Dell.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Sorry i yealed at the Gabillionare, I was really depressed yesterday. Now I am ok and I shouldn't have posted that, because people like that probably have to work really hard for so much moneys and always worry about loosing it or being stolen. My apologies. I don't usually troll like that on forums, it only makes me look evil. I wish I'd never do that again, so horrible. Sorry sorry, forgive me forum fwwwwiiiieeeends.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I've owned 2 of their 30" 2560x1600 monitors and loved them. Waiting for thier 4k version now. Wishing for them to bring down prices a bit though.

Tuishimi

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Well, I wish them success even tho' I generally build my own... Actually the last PC I bought was from Indelible Blue and was an OS / 2 machine - When I say PC I mean non-Apple machine. I have bought Apple computers in addition to building my own Windows / Linux PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.