Looking to replace my HD 5850

Nebtuu

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Hi everyone!

I've been excitedly watching the fight between AMD & Nvidia recently, as I've been wanting to get a new video card for a while now. Do you reckon the dust has settled, or are there more price drops to come?

I've saved €400 for the new card, but I can always throw in a little extra if you think it's worth it.

At the moment I'm mostly playing World Vs World in Guild Wars 2. It's a combination of PvE & PvP which often has two large groups of players (40ish per group) collide and start throwing particles at each other. Good fun... iffy framerates. Also playing Diablo III and looking to get back into EVE Online soon as well.

Current GPU is a Sapphire HD 5850. I overclocked it and it lasted me quite well, but I feel that it's been holding me back for a while now. My PSU is a Corsair 750 GS so CrossFire / SLI should be possible, though I'd prefer a single card to avoid microstutter.

My processor is an i5 3570k. The motherboard's a GA-Z77X-DEH 1.1, and I've 16GB of 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance RAM. The case is an Antec 900, which might be a problem. The 5850 just about fits; anything larger might cause problems.

I have a 23" 1920x1080 monitor and I'm looking to add a second one before the end of the year.

I live in Ireland, so I'm used to having a terrible selection and needing to get parts shipped from the UK. The best that I've found is komplett.ie, and recently even they've been useless. A quick search on Google tells me €400 is approximately £340, but I honestly don't mind something which is a little more expensive than I've budgeted for.

I've only ever had AMD cards, and I've been very happy with them. For every person I've heard telling me that Nvidia is better at high-end cards, I've heard someone else complaining that Optimus keeps selecting their integrated graphics for games. I assume they both work fine and it's pretty much the same as the iFans and Fandroids insisting their preference is best, but feel free to educate me if I'm mistaken. As it is, the only preference I have is avoiding AMD stock coolers.

I'm new here, so I'm really sorry if there's anything I missed or I just waffled on incessently. I tried to use the sticky as a guide, but if there's anything I forgot to mention, just gimme a poke and I'll be happy to add it.

Thanks in advance for the help, it's honestly greatly appreciated. <3