Refresh rate vs Response rate in correlation to FPS

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
A buddy of mine is obsessed with getting the highest (true) refresh rate he can find. Offering me a deal on his 42 inch 120hz tv if I can find him a well priced 240hz display. However I'm becoming rather baffled when looking at the display information on these based off the knowledge I have.

Refresh Rate - The MAX amount of times per second a display will show a new image.
Response time - The amount of time it takes for the monitor to change from one image to a new one. (Grey > white > Grey)
60 Hz = 1 new frame every 16.66~ ms
120 Hz = 1 new frame ever 8.33~ ms
240 Hz = 1 new frame every 4.166~ ms

Of all the displays I've found that say 250 hz I haven't found a single TV that runs a Response time that's close enough to 4.16 ms to consider it 240hz. Does anyone have any more insight on this or is 240 hz a complete gimmick due to limitations of the Response time?

Kari

Splendid
you really need to focus on the type of inputs a monitor or TV accepts. A true 120Hz monitor is a lot better than a 240Hz (or 120Hz) TV that'll only take a 60Hz input signal. A 120Hz monitor will show up to 120 real original images, where as a 240Hz TV will show a lot of interpolated guestimates: 60 real ones and 180 guesses and it'll add some input lag into the mix as well since it needs 2 real images to add the guestimates in between.
AFAIK there isn't any real 240Hz displays available, this is the closest thing and it is brand spanking new:
http://www.techpowerup.com/193506/eizo-releases-the-foris-fg2421-240-hz-gaming-monitor.html

The response time is important because of ghosting, fast moving objects will leave a ghostly trail behind them (and look blurry) if the response time isn't short enough (like 2-5ms), doesn't really have anything to do with refresh rates as such...

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Thanks for the input. I'm aware of the interpolated frames, but he's looking for a replacement of the same size (42 inch). Due to that I won't be able to point him at something like that or (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313). After some looking around I've seen recommendations of "gaming mode" on 120Hz + that lowers or negates the TV's extra processing, however I've seen very little on the actual results of it. I know without a dual link dvi we most likely won't push those frame rates. Just all sorts of bleh here.