Help Picking a Motherboard for i7 4820k

TheOfficialEdge

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Hey guys, I'm planning on building a new computer, and I'll be getting the i7 4820k to suit my needs (mostly gaming, with video editing).

I've been looking at the ASUS P9X79 PRO, but I've heard many horror stories about dead out of the box, along with the added hassle of having to flash the BIOS.

I'm looking for a motherboard that will allow Crossfire/SLI, overclocking, and work out of the box with the 4820k, for a similar price (around 250-300$).

Does anyone know of any similar boards that will save me some time and effort?

Thanks!

x1c0

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2013
I was hoping we could revisit this discussion. There seems to be enough stories to discredit any board I scrutinize.

I've been looking at the p9x79 and the sabertooth but both reveal issues with the production and compatibility with ivy e.

I'd prefer to shoot high on the graphics card and don't like the prices for the 2011.

Dr_Layne

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
I had to update my bios to use the 4820k on a Sabertooth x79. It's actually simple to do. The motherboard only needs power. No memory or CPU has to be installed. All you need is a USB flash drive and the latest bios from Asus website. You rename the bios file to SABERX79.CAP copy to the USB flash drive, insert the USB drive into the white USB port and hold down the button next to the port until it lights. The button will flash faster as it updates, then stop flashing. Then you're all done. Finish installing your components and the bios will update on first boot.

TRENDING THREADS