Ashton Kutcher is Product Engineer at Lenovo Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
I don't know the first thing about him as a person. He could be great, I really have no clue. I'm not prepared to judge a man based solely on assumptions.

sha7bot

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
This reminds me of Tom Cruise who, at one point in an interview, claimed he knew all about psychiatry. We need to stop assigning value to these entertainer's opinions when there's no value to be had.

Unless it's Ben Stein.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
I dont wanna say he is gonna be bad or good for the company because I have no idea what he is capable of, but I fail to see what he could really bring to the table based on his celebrity/actor status

May 2, 2013
Who knows... maybe he'll surprise all of us. He's an actor, so he's inherently creative... he might bring something useful. Then again, maybe not. We'll see how this plays out. If he is spotted with his MacBook air sometime down the road, we'll know it's all crap :)

godfather666

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
The man isn't as dumb as the people he plays on TV. And he does love technology - I think he can be credited for a lot of Twitter's success (or so I'm told).

He can give his two cents on the design of some products, why not? And he can definitely promote the products.
I understand the negativity here, but I think it's not totally warranted.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Here's an idea. Why not take the $50 million or so you might have him and either invest it in raising the conditions of your workers or putting it towards making better products?

ouch. For the brain deads here actually trying to praise this idiot...NEWS FLASH...HE NEVER FINISHED COLLEGE, NEVER STUDIED COMPUTERS, or computer science. he's a model, nothing else. gees, kissing up will not magically make your life better!

Spac3nerd

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
With people like him on-board, there's no need to wonder why the thinkpad line was butchered. Maybe they should hire some actual engineers.

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
It would be interesting. He has done a lot of commercials for Nikon already, and if you read his background, he does have some technical background as far as marketing and finance goes.

He may be a good asset, or bad asset, to the company. Who knows? We will just have to see. Other people on here should not judge him based on his acting career, but rather what he does/has done outside of it.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Love how they throw that word engineer around. Makes me wonder why I bothered to go to school to become an engineer... Apparently its not necessary anymore

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Well....at least it isn't a "creative director", but rather a real job. I don't know how good he will be, but at least it can't be worse than Alicia Keys work at Blackberry *snicker*

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Regardless of whether you like Kutcher, it's hard to deny the recent success of Lenovo. Their products are typically top notch.

Hopefully they won't catch him Tweeting from a Mac.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
"Ashton will help us break new ground by challenging assumptions, bringing new perspective and contributing his technical expertise to Yoga Tablet and other devices."

Technical expertise???? And unfortunately, their marketing department thinks that the engineers that have been working for them for 20+ years are just a bunch of robots with no talent. How disrespectful is that toward the technical guys that work their butts off to meet deadlines etc.

Thats like telling everyone "Yeah our division of 100 degreed computer engineers are totally lost and now that we were able to find an actor, all of our technical problems are going to go away and our products are going to be great.

I actually like Ashton.... on "Two and a Half men" and "that 70s show", and I heard he is a pretty sharp guy. I just think that many times when you have people sponsor a product, the real people that were responsible for comming up with the idea in the first place are totally left out.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
"Ashton will help us break new ground by challenging assumptions, bringing new perspective and contributing his technical expertise to Yoga Tablet and other devices."

Technical expertise???? And unfortunately, their marketing department thinks that the engineers that have been working for them for 20+ years are just a bunch of robots with no talent. How disrespectful is that toward the technical guys that work their butts off to meet deadlines etc.

Thats like telling everyone "Yeah our division of 100 degreed computer engineers are totally lost and now that we were able to find an actor, all of our technical problems are going to go away and our products are going to be great.

I actually like Ashton.... on "Two and a Half men" and "that 70s show", and I heard he is a pretty sharp guy. I just think that many times when you have people sponsor a product, the real people that were responsible for comming up with the idea in the first place are totally left out.

Status
Not open for further replies.