PC Crashing at random times

Nexusnebula

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Hey, basically the problem started about 3 months ago, when my pc restarted after hours of playing WoW. The pc just shuts off asif vie pulled out the plug and then starts up again. The first time it happened, it only happened once. But now it restarts after about 5 minutes of playing wow. Its not just wow either, its done it with Skyrim, Minecraft and more recently when watching youtube videos and just browsing files on my desktop.

So i originally thought this to be a temperature issue, but the cpu and gpu never reached temperatures higher than 65 degrees, according to CPUID HWmonitor and Catalyst Control Centre. All my drivers are up to date (updated them by using the function in device manager to search online, not sure how reliable it is. But i manually updated my Graphics card and bios). Everything is plugged into the PSU correctly, all fans are running fine, the computer has no dust whatsoever. There is no visible motherboard damage etc. Everything seems to be running smoothly. I have ran Virus scans and RAM Checks and they came up free of any issues. I aslo removed all the RAM and tested each stick individually, still crashed when playing the game for 1 minute roughly.

From what ive seen in forums ive narrowed it down to a faulty PSU, RAM or motherboard but im new to PCs so thats a guess at the most. One thing to note is when i upgraded my graphics card from the stock one, i had to get a new PSU, but before i got the new graphics card I didn't use the Pc much so I never had it crash on me.

My pc specs are:
Dell inspiron 560
Pentium Dual-core CPU E5500 @ 2.80GHZ
6G of Kingston DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5770
Alpine 650W PSU

Thanks alot for reading, and please comment with any suggestions or help! :)

trowinity

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
i had the same problem . my pc also crashes by it self . diagnosed my and it was the processor .

try Using different Components. from GPU RAM HD PSU . if still the same problem then it maybe your MOBO or your PROCESSOR . also try restarting BIOS settings if that helps.

Nexusnebula

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Hmm i cant afford to spend money on a new processor only to find out the problem still persists, ill try and different PSU and GPU though

trowinity

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
how about burrowing one thats compatible with your mobo . if you dont want to buy a new processor then Get a new mobo ... let someone else check your rig . how many years is your mobo and processor by the way also PSU .

Nexusnebula

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
okay so my gpu was a AMD radeon hd 5770, i switched it out for a 5450, and the pc hasnt crashed after half an hour of gameplay

Is this a faulty gpu or the Psu?

Nexusnebula

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Okay so i bought a new gpu, a Asus radeon hd 7770 2G and it still crashes
it seems that everytime i use a gpu that requires a power cabel (6pin) from the power supply, it crashes. When i use the 5450 that doesnt need the power cable it doesnt crash

Can anyone confirm this is a psu problem and not something else like motherboard? PSU is an Alpine 650w