Looking for good cheap 27" 2560x1440p monitor

xHALORDx

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Hello, I'm looking to get a good 27 "2560x1440p native resolution. Problem is I'm no expert on monitor terminology. I've heard that there are very good cheap Korean monitors and am wondering if they are any good. I wanna use it with my 1080p asus VG278H. I'm hoping to only spend <$500 AUD on it that includes Australia currency and shipping. I should be able to use a 2560x1440p and a 1920x1080p (both 27") Simultaneously with 2x GTX 670 4gb SC gpus?

Solution
There are two popular ones, the QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll 27" (2560x1440) and the X-Star.
Care must be taken with these monitors as sometimes they have too much dead or stuck pixels and backlight bleeding.
Thus it is best to get it from a trusted source that tests the monitor first for you.
These monitors can also be overclocked to go higher than 60hz often going over 120hz apparently for smoother gaming.

Yes you should be able to use both monitors with that setup.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
There are two popular ones, the QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll 27" (2560x1440) and the X-Star.
Care must be taken with these monitors as sometimes they have too much dead or stuck pixels and backlight bleeding.
Thus it is best to get it from a trusted source that tests the monitor first for you.
These monitors can also be overclocked to go higher than 60hz often going over 120hz apparently for smoother gaming.

Yes you should be able to use both monitors with that setup.

Solution

xHALORDx

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

1. How do you overclock one of these monitors
2. out of the 2, Which one is better suited for gaming?

pltan75

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but would love to rack your brain on a similar issue.

Do you reccomend any other 1440p monitors, if I have a larger budget?

And secondly will a MSI 770 lightning be able to run say BF4 at 1440p? And lastly, if the answer is yes, would the card be able to handle BF4 on the 1440p, and 2d applications (web browsing etc) on a second screen?

Also I've noticed some Dell 1440p monitors and they refresh at 60hz, is this a deal breaker?

Thank you.

xHALORDx

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Also I think I may go with the qnix as the other one does not ship to Aus. However I'm stuck as to whether to get;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710-LED-Evolution-ll-Ma...
Or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pixel-27-QNIX-QX2710-Ev...

Will I notice the LED?

gaborbarla

Distinguished

There are guides on the internet for overclocking these monitors. You basically instruct your graphics card drivers to create a custom profile and choose a higher Hz and check if it works.

I believe both of these monitors are based on the same PSL samsung panel and both of them are equally suited for gaming.
There are no monitors with such high resolution that are 120hz out of the box, but many of them can be overclocked to achieve that.

In order to run such a high resolution over 60hz you will need a very fast graphics card or possibly 2 running in SLI or crossfire. I am thinking of getting the qnix one here in South Africa, we have a supplier that checks for quality (dead pixels and such) before they send it to us which is great.

You would only notice the stuck pixels in general, if you have a stuck white pixel in the middle of the screen it can be very annoying as it is always lit. Otherwise one can learn to live with it if its not right in the middle and white.

gaborbarla

Distinguished

Those are both the exact same monitor. Both are LED IPS panels. The perfect pixel one probably means that they dont have pixel problems.

gaborbarla

Distinguished

770 lightning will be able to run at that resolution but you might have to reduce some settings to make if perfectly smooth. I have not run the final bf4 yet but if you want to go significantly over 60fps (60hz) then you will have to overclock the monitor and a 770 lightning might or might not be sufficient to do that.

The Dell 1440 panels can also be overclocked, especially if they are IPS panels. It is a deal-breaker for me if it doesn't go over 60, specifically the qnix and x-star panels are famous for having controllers that can be overclocked to stellar levels.

pltan75

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

Thank you sir, you've been a great help, I've decided to order a Qnix and see how things go from there with monitor evolution.

So with your answer I guess it will be difficult for the MSI 770 Lightning I have, to run both a game on a main screen and also maintain a secondary monitor for other apps?