Sign in with
Your question

Building an amazing Computer for Flight Simulator X

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
October 31, 2013 4:54:45 AM

Want to make this build for the best FSX PC ever

(I fly as well in real life (getting my PPL after getting back from being s student ambassador in Germany (www.igorcbyx.wordpress.com) , but love computers :) 

So, my build is:

CPU- BLACK EDITION AMD FX-9590 Turbo 5GHz

GPU- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti

Motherboard- GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 Socket AM3+

Hard Drive- SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD

CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-D14 6 Heatpipe CPU Cooler

RAM-Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3

Power Supply- Corsair 1000W HX1000 – 80 PLUS Gold

O.S.-Microsoft Windows 1995 (JK :D ) No, Windows 7 (x64)

CD Drive-Asus Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-Ray Drive

Case-Rosewill Thor V2-W

Monitor-LG 42CS570 42-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV :D  (Good zonal backlighting for night flying)

What do you think?

Will everything fit in the case? I am not a real expert at cases.

On the otherhand, I am the owner of a computer buisness I started, BaylukPCFix, at the age of 15.

With the cost of all these things above, brand new buy it now on ebay, this built costs an astounding:

$2,024

+ Monitor ($520)

=$2,524

And I will find some shelf speakers at Best Buy or somewhere for under $70.

Any suggestions? Again, this is a crazy built, but the PC should last a very long time.

Thanks for reading!

Best Regards,
Igor

October 31, 2013 9:52:22 AM

"RAM-Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3
O.S.-Microsoft Windows 1995 (JK :D  ) No, Windows 7 (x86)"

You either want only 4GB of memory total or you want Windows 7 x64.

Also, get Windows 7 Pro, so you can download the free XP Mode in the event that you want to easily run older games in XP.
October 31, 2013 10:58:29 AM

RealBeast said:
"RAM-Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3
O.S.-Microsoft Windows 1995 (JK :D  ) No, Windows 7 (x86)"

You either want only 4GB of memory total or you want Windows 7 x64.

Also, get Windows 7 Pro, so you can download the free XP Mode in the event that you want to easily run older games in XP.

The XP was a joke, sorry. I can get any software for free, since I lead a Computer program with the USAF Association, so I will use Windows 7 Ultimate (x86)

Related resources
October 31, 2013 11:32:06 AM

"so I will use Windows 7 Ultimate (x86)"

I got your joke, although I do run Win95, DOS, and a bunch of stuff up through 8.1 in VMWare as it is often useful.

But no, my point is that you don't want the x86 version Windows 7 -- that is 32bit and would only recognize 4GB of memory, you need the x64 (64 bit version). Typical poor Microsoft naming.

The XP Mode of Windows Ultimate is very useful since it runs in a window, and it is just a couple of free downloads from MS. It does a great job for old games that can run while you are "working." :) 
October 31, 2013 1:52:27 PM

RealBeast said:
"so I will use Windows 7 Ultimate (x86)"

I got your joke, although I do run Win95, DOS, and a bunch of stuff up through 8.1 in VMWare as it is often useful.

But no, my point is that you don't want the x86 version Windows 7 -- that is 32bit and would only recognize 4GB of memory, you need the x64 (64 bit version). Typical poor Microsoft naming.

The XP Mode of Windows Ultimate is very useful since it runs in a window, and it is just a couple of free downloads from MS. It does a great job for old games that can run while you are "working." :) 

That's right!!! :D  I always confuse the two! It's literally the only thing. That's right x32 and x86 is the same but x64 is 64 bit :)  Sorry, and thanks for your help!
October 31, 2013 2:36:02 PM

Sure, have a good build!
January 16, 2014 12:41:54 PM

I'm curious how this worked out? I'd think intel would be better for this game, but, I'm not sure. I'm just asking because I know someone having issues with this game on his AMD pc.
!