Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PS4 to Have Resolution Advantage at Launch vs. Xbox One

Last response: in News comments
October 31, 2013 2:59:33 PM

"Besides, those who are truly after the best technical experience out of these games should be playing them on a PC."

NUFF SAID!! PC FTW :-)

Unfortunately, some of the titles aren't available on PC.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
October 31, 2013 3:00:56 PM

Why the hell cant the ps4 run bf4 native 1080p? Would rather slightly reduced visuals and have it run at 1080p. They could optimize it to run at 50fps/hz if need be. But whatever, this rubbish is why i have a PC.
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 31, 2013 3:12:18 PM

"Unfortunately, some of the titles aren't available on PC. "

Unfortunately, this is because the people driving the console market want to take away the PC because it is too open. Instead of focusing on making a good game, they focus on DRM and Copyright. Listen up game makers, make good quality games and you won't have to worry about people downloading them illegally. You better believe after the SimCity 5 launch that I would never pay cash for another EA game before having at least 2 weeks to play it and try it out first.

As a side note, boooooo EA...boooooo...
Score
October 31, 2013 3:17:43 PM

tbake said:

Unfortunately, some of the titles aren't available on PC.

So skip them. Console exclusives are just a scam to make you buy that console. If there weren't a ton of idiots who buy into it, it wouldn't happen.
Score
October 31, 2013 3:25:38 PM

Wow... I went to give tons of praise to this single statement and find I've already been beaten to it.

"Besides, those who are truly after the best technical experience out of these games should be playing them on a PC."

This is the smartest thing ever said in any article about any console / game.
Score
October 31, 2013 3:58:06 PM

PraxGTI said:

Unfortunately, this is because the people driving the console market want to take away the PC because it is too open. Instead of focusing on making a good game, they focus on DRM and Copyright. Listen up game makers, make good quality games and you won't have to worry about people downloading them illegally. You better believe after the SimCity 5 launch that I would never pay cash for another EA game before having at least 2 weeks to play it and try it out first.

Not totally true. keep in mind consoles actually predate the PC. My first at home video game experience was on a Sears Pong system. Then I moved to the Atari 2600. A lot of us old guys have fond memories of the console. More importantly though the console is cheaper/ smaller and comes out of the box with controllers which are very ergonomic. Thus it fills a role in the gaming market which would otherwise not be fully serviced.
Score
October 31, 2013 4:10:02 PM

So much for so called next gen consoles lol...Try gaming at 2560 x 1600 all ultra in BF4 - thats me.
Score
October 31, 2013 4:19:24 PM

southernshark said:
PraxGTI said:

Not totally true. keep in mind consoles actually predate the PC. My first at home video game experience was on a Sears Pong system. Then I moved to the Atari 2600. A lot of us old guys have fond memories of the console. More importantly though the console is cheaper/ smaller and comes out of the box with controllers which are very ergonomic. Thus it fills a role in the gaming market which would otherwise not be fully serviced.

consoles are pcs...
consoles do predate the IBM standard (a computer by one company would not work with bits from another company think of it today as being dell computers can only have NVidia cards and HP computers can only have AMD cards)
Score
October 31, 2013 4:35:46 PM

It will be interesting to see how the Steam Box platforms match up.
Score
October 31, 2013 4:45:21 PM

"Although the Sony hardware has the technical lead, a less than perfect software scaling up to 1080p has handicapped its expected lead over the Xbox One version, which in some cases has it looking slightly crisper, if more aliased."

IMO, the Xbone seems to apply some sort of sharpness filter. Very clearly seen in the BF4 comparison shots. While the PS4 doesn't.

Aaaaand, we all know Frostbite 3 is still using the shittiest AA mode in existence: FXAA
Which applies Vaseline blur on the display. So that might explain the soft PS4 shots.
Score
October 31, 2013 4:49:28 PM

So these next-gen consoles that there was all this talk about matching high-end PCs still can't even run games that are specifically optimized for them at native 1080p (and probably using lowered settings)....

Can we as a gaming community finally stop drinking the "next-gen" kool-aid? My biggest concern is they're going to KEEP holding back the advancement of monitors and GPUs made for higher resolution gaming.
Score
October 31, 2013 4:51:23 PM

Framerate>textures>res. Well, depending on the style/genre of the game.

That said, I looked at the side by side comparison pics of the XO and PS4 versions of BF4. If they claim AA in either game, they're full of it. I can see jaggies in both pics. The difference in resolution appears to be very little (although in motion it could be bigger. Hard to tell with pics), but the difference in the crispness of the textures stands out between the two console versions. The XO version has much crisper textures and the look higher res as a result. More pronounced bump mapping on the XO textures too. That gives it a better visual pop than any res difference between the two (900p vs 720p isn't that great of a leap). I hate 'vaselne' texture look. I'd take a drop in res as a trade off to better/shaper textures any day. So the XO version looks better overall IMO.

That said, both versions look fantastic for these new consoles. The $400 price tag of the PS4 makes it as pretty decent option IMO. Of course, I'll be playing this on PC :)  (fps games with gamepads sucks)
Score
October 31, 2013 5:03:26 PM

Oh no! I'm worried about who's going to get my viewership on youtube let's plays! Hah!

I don't make a habit of gaming on the llano system, but I do prefer 720p with better effects and more fluid frame rates versus trying to play at higher resolutions and turning things down.

As long as the gameplay is good, its fine.

The latest PS4 FAQ suggests keyboard/mouse support may be up to the game devs.
Score
October 31, 2013 5:32:47 PM

PraxGTI said:
Listen up game makers, make good quality games and you won't have to worry about people downloading them illegally.

Really? Is this your attempt at a joke? You can't seriously be trying to make the claim that good games get pirated less than bad games. That is a totally ridiculous and factually inaccurate statement. A couple minutes of browsing any torrent site will demonstrate how stupid this is.
Score
October 31, 2013 5:36:15 PM

*sigh* megapixel myth applies to game consoles now? i'll take sharp '720p' over blurry '1080p' anyday. fortunately i dont have to make that choice on my pc. "next gen" is looking like a stinker already. slighty off subject: gta5 was painful to play at 30fps on 360 after enjoying gta4 on pc. my next gen will be a new gpu...
Score
October 31, 2013 5:54:38 PM

Damn right that people looking for the best technical doodads be playing on the PC.
Score
October 31, 2013 6:10:48 PM

With the NVidia and AMD price wars, $400 to $500 will go a lot further towards buying a better video card or even a second card and give me lots more for my money than a throttled down game console struggling with 720p and 1080p at medium res. Thanks but no thanks, I'm sticking with the PC.
Score
October 31, 2013 6:24:27 PM

The announcement today that the PS4 has no DLNA, no ability to play MP3's, cannot view a JPG, cannot play a CD does not bode well. I have both a PS3 and XB360. What a cool DLNA box the PS4 would have made with all that power to process codecs. Terrible when they **arbitrarily limit the capabilities of such a powerful device.
Score
October 31, 2013 6:29:06 PM

"$400 to $500 will go a lot further towards buying a better video card or even a second card and give me lots more for my money than a throttled down game console struggling with 720p and 1080p at medium res"

i've been trying to convert my console playing friends based on variations of this argument for years. especially considering several of them already have decent PCs minus the gpu. i guess its just human nature to stick to what you (think you) know...
Score
October 31, 2013 6:32:14 PM

computerguy72 said:
The announcement today that the PS4 has no DLNA, no ability to play MP3's, cannot view a JPG, cannot play a CD does not bode well. I have both a PS3 and XB360. What a cool DLNA box the PS4 would have made with all that power to process codecs. Terrible when they **arbitrarily limit the capabilities of such a powerful device.

Your right about that, Its going to be pretty much just a gaming machine that plays BR disks. I know I may catch it for this statement but If I was to consider a console in the future it will be an XBOX One, I like the media features on it. I'm beginning to see there is a lot to loose for the 100 dollar price break on the PS4.

Score
a b 4 Gaming
October 31, 2013 6:32:29 PM

Quite comparing PC to next-gen consoles people.

Not everybody can afford to build a quality gaming PC or even want to deal with the hassle of driver updates, troubleshooting etc, or the NOISE in the living room (PS4 has single, quiet fan). They just want to plug it in and have it work.

A $200,000 Mercedes Benz might be an awesome car but if I have $20,000 I'd get a Toyota Corolla.

I love my high-end gaming rig but there's a place for the PC and consoles.

Score
October 31, 2013 6:34:03 PM

Don't forget its 5400 RPM SATA II 500GB hard drive, that games must be installed on to even play. (and 1 TB is the biggest since it has to be 9.5mm for the hard drive) Can't use external HDD either. Can’t share to YouTube, only Facebook.
Score
October 31, 2013 6:35:51 PM

leaderWON said:
"$400 to $500 will go a lot further towards buying a better video card or even a second card and give me lots more for my money than a throttled down game console struggling with 720p and 1080p at medium res"

i've been trying to convert my console playing friends based on variations of this argument for years. especially considering several of them already have decent PCs minus the the gpu. i guess its just human nature to stick to what you (think you) know...

Yea, You make a good point on that one.
Score
October 31, 2013 6:37:44 PM

That was a comprehensively misleading article title. The Xbox One is still going to prove better than the PS4, it will sell hotter, have more exclusive titles, and more manufacturers on board. It will crossover other platforms smoother, and oh yeah, will still have the vastly superior Xbox Live.

Graphically, both have tremendous horsepower under the hood. Just because one Skinner Box game company had "technical difficulties" doesn't mean you will notice one pixel of difference between the systems side by side.
Score
October 31, 2013 6:41:09 PM

photonboy said:

Not everybody can afford to build a quality gaming PC or even want to deal with the hassle of driver updates, troubleshooting etc, or the NOISE in the living room (PS4 has single, quiet fan). They just want to plug it in and have it work.

A $200,000 Mercedes Benz might be an awesome car but if I have $20,000 I'd get a Toyota Corolla.

I can't argue with you on that point, took me forever to be able to build a system that's good enough for gaming. Money is harder to come by these days.

Score
October 31, 2013 6:54:34 PM

photonboy said:

I built an sg05 based system that sits under my living room tv for maybe $600. my technically challenged girlfriend has no problem using it. just saying...
Score
October 31, 2013 7:03:59 PM

I game on both the PC and PS3, spending upwards of $1,500 every 2-3 years for a new ground up PC build. The PS3 is great for me because it's portable. I can take it to parties and on trips to see family where everyone can enjoy side-by-side gaming. It also makes a great hotel companion when traveling on business solo. Can't do that with a PC. But nothing beats playing BF3, Crysis 2/3, F1 2013, and Grid 2 in front of a 1440p monitor. And yeah, nothing beats playing a FPS with a mouse and keyboard...a console controller sucks for that. One of my PS3 gaming buddies used to build PCs, but he got tired of spending so much money every time new games came out to play them at good settings. To each, his own.

With that said, I've got a PS4 on pre-order from Amazon and look forward to gaming on it. Except for loading home videos and pictures on it to show friends and family, it is not used as a media server. I am disappointed however that some games like COD Ghosts are *STILL* not going to be native 1080p at the PS4 launch. What the hell?
Score
October 31, 2013 7:17:33 PM

COD ghost will be native 1080P on ps4, it says in the article buddy don't fear. Xbox is the one in 720P upconverted to 1080.
Score
October 31, 2013 8:12:56 PM

Just like last gen, A PC and a Playstation should be more than enough to cover all your gaming needs.

Get Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank and Killzone for PS4, everything else for the PC.
Score
October 31, 2013 8:14:25 PM

Good thing my PC has been next gen for 4 years. I don't have to worry about an upgrade until GSYNC monitors hit the market.

IB
Score
October 31, 2013 8:53:53 PM

Unfortunately there are many titles that will remain console exclusive! Or will get ported to PC pretty late!
Score
October 31, 2013 9:41:37 PM

computerguy72 said:

Those will most certainly be available after a PS4 update.

So no reason to pop zits over it.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
October 31, 2013 10:47:44 PM

wait what???? the new consoles wont be 1080p???? i thought that was the only reason to be releasing new consoles was to "actually" be 1080p instead of the crappy 720p.... you have to sit like 10 feet away from a 50" tv at 720p, any closer and it messes with your eyes. i like to sit about 4-5 feet away from my 50".
Score
November 1, 2013 12:42:14 AM

The fact that these so called 'next gen' consoles are already hitting their limits before launch is laughable...

HD content started hitting TV's in 2006... almost 8 years ago, in the electronics industry that might as well be a millennium ago.

There is no excuse, in 2013 (soon to be 2014) to be launching a console that isn't at a minimum capable of running 1080p/60... I suppose expecting any sort of Anti Aliasing is out of the question as well...
Score
November 1, 2013 1:15:50 AM

So the moral of the story here is neither is really capable of pushing future gaming at 1080p. We already have two shining examples out of the gate (BF4 and COD Ghosts). Xbox1 it seems will run into this every time on a top graphic title, though PS4 might escape 1/2 (COD is running native).

Note to self: Still ok to ignore consoles this gen as originally thought. Just buy a new Gsync GPU for future monitor purchase :) 
Score
November 1, 2013 1:21:05 AM

10tacle said:
I game on both the PC and PS3, spending upwards of $1,500 every 2-3 years for a new ground up PC build. The PS3 is great for me because it's portable. I can take it to parties and on trips to see family where everyone can enjoy side-by-side gaming. It also makes a great hotel companion when traveling on business solo. Can't do that with a PC. But nothing beats playing BF3, Crysis 2/3, F1 2013, and Grid 2 in front of a 1440p monitor. And yeah, nothing beats playing a FPS with a mouse and keyboard...a console controller sucks for that. One of my PS3 gaming buddies used to build PCs, but he got tired of spending so much money every time new games came out to play them at good settings. To each, his own.

With that said, I've got a PS4 on pre-order from Amazon and look forward to gaming on it. Except for loading home videos and pictures on it to show friends and family, it is not used as a media server. I am disappointed however that some games like COD Ghosts are *STILL* not going to be native 1080p at the PS4 launch. What the hell?

You shouldn't need a whole new system every 2-3 years, just a new vid card should get the job done in between. A new cpu these days doesn't get much, but a vid card die shrink is huge.
Score
November 1, 2013 1:24:02 AM

I am selling my console, games etc. tomorrow. I probably will not buy another console for myself, the next one will be for kids if I ever have any.
Score
November 1, 2013 1:24:44 AM

Oh I know I shouldn't do this... But here it goes.

Oh, and thanks tom's, all that work to write up a answer to the PC console discussion and it's only view able on the forums... Thanks. maybe one other person will see this, I hope. Otherwise what a waste....

Were is this idea coming from that you have to upgrade to all new PC hardware every new IP or 2-3 years? If you put forethought into your PC this is surely not the case. And just because some like to do this doesn't make it is at all necessary. For example, a LOT of people still rocking the i7-920's(November 2008) or that beast Q6600(January 2007). If your still buying big box PC's I am sorry for you have not yet learned your lesson. For me it's ~5-6 years to build from the ground up.

Yeah, you upgrade your GPU in that time to make sure you still get the most out of the rest of your hardware and enjoy the new eye candy. And maybe buy another HDD, but that HDD isn't sold twice the normal cost because of a unnecessary proprietary design. Sell the old PC parts and buy new, repeat. Not to mention if your are a little patient and you can buy most PC game titles at a great discount offsetting the price further compared with consoles which generally keep prices higher for longer periods. Sadly though, this practice is bleeding over to PC titles more and more ie. Borderlands 1&2. When your ready to sell your old consoles and games it is heart-breaking how little you can get for them considering your investment.

PC's are open systems; Its a PC it does all those things PC do too :-). You cannot just say that full $1200 for a PC is JUST for the gaming aspect. Take the price of your home desktop and then add that up with ALL you spent on console hardware/services over it's lifespan, now you do have a gaming PC budget everyone claims is not affordable. Non-inflated storage prices, no paying twice for internet(live/plus) to play online multi-player, choose your components to fit your wants and needs. The FUN of learning how easy it is to assemble a PC that will kill a DELL any day. All these secondary console costs added up over the lifespan of a console could be instead put to a very nice PC. But this seems to be all too forgotten in the debate. I guess if your economic status allows for consuming without discretion, this is all pointless drivel. I look at this as a cost/benefit comparison.

The only man's argument I will concede to here.
Quote:
10tecle: The PS3(read: consoles) is great for me because it's portable. I can take it to parties and on trips to see family where everyone can enjoy side-by-side gaming. It also makes a great hotel companion when traveling on business solo. Can't do that with a PC.
So true, and that is where consoles have a place in the gaming market. Social, side-by-side gaming. I just don't think they should be the driving force in ALL of the gaming industry due to the other drawbacks, limitations, and profit motives.

As you can tell, I don't like consoles. Not because I am a PC fan boy. In words of Spock: It's only logical. I have reasons and I have stated them as clearly as I can articulate them. Owner of Atari 2600, N64, Xbox, PS2, Xbox 360. I was younger and more ignorant at the time. I Bought the PS2 just for GTA3 and Gran Turismo. For the 360 at the time I really just wanted to play the new Halo(single player ONLY) and I never bought more than a handful of used or platinum hits games for either systems and that is what gave me my epiphany. Too loud, too expensive, too closed off and when new models come out I have to do it ALL over again. It's because your buying into a limited performance closed system, controlled and designed to make a company profits and furthermore my biggest gripe of all, as with most PC gamers, being that this is holding back the technological progression of gaming industry as a whole. This is a fact. Yes your consoles are becoming more like PC's; crippled, simplified, expensive, profit generating, little PC's.

My 2 cents, let the down votes begin. Honestly, I really just want the gaming industry as a whole to progress in the best possible manor for ALL of us and in my opinion consoles systems are hindering this progress and focusing on generating profits at the gaming communities ultimate expense. Keep in mind we are going to be living with these things for 5+ years more than likely, just imagine how technology could grow in that time without the confines of these console systems.
Score
November 1, 2013 1:55:47 AM

1440p should be the minimum
Score
November 1, 2013 5:45:36 AM

Holy Christ. For every comment that bases the consoles gets bumped up while those who are neutral or pro towards the console get bumped down. Good god you people are even worse than console fanboys because if you're not bitching about console Vs. PC you are bitching about who gonna kick who's ass in the Intel, AMD and Nvidia front, geez it's like a damn kindergarten in here. I love my PC gaming as much as I love my console gaming really there is no freaking need to tear each other or the machines apart over the games they play and how they play them, the PC and the console are made for their markets and enjoyments they both have their genres and games they both provide experiences. I think I finally understand why every dev just threw their hands and just outright gave up on the PC it due to the freken BS fanboys demanding more and bitching and whining about the stupidest things, we always like to tear a new one for every conversation regarding anything related to hardware or games does everything have to be a freken war? Sheez every time I think about the PC as a gaming platform I always put a picture of responsible adults who are respectable and have a head on their shoulders, you know? People who actually use their brain?! But that view in my mind is starting to wither severely now all I see is a bunch of kids fighting over who get the candy bar, and it's really fitting too. Oh and as for all those who are bashing these systems graphically BEFORE they are even out, is..... Ahhhh just forget it really don't want to waste my time with people who just don't see anything else but BASH BASH BASH!!!!!!
Score
November 1, 2013 5:55:18 AM

Wow. Huge letdown gta v runs at 720p on ps3 and now this crap with ps4. Im so sticking with my pc and getting a steam box to my tv.

5.1ghz i7, 16gb 2200mhz ram, SLI gtx 680 at 1300mhz core/7ghz ram. Mushkin 240gb SSD.
Score
November 1, 2013 6:39:55 AM

honestly i'm generally disappointed with the "next gen" consoles. normally consoles at least release with "top of the Line" components in them for the year they release. and the next gen this time around is releasing with hardware that wasn't even top of the line last year (maybe it was the year before that). that said , the hardware itself is NOT my biggest disappointment.

the biggest disappointment is that both are just aiming for 1080p in most cases... when the hardware they are offering should be getting 1080p With 4xAA in ALL cases or at least FXAA (a post processing AA that is far less intensive than regular AA). To make matters worse NONE of the games I saw previewed at E3 looked any better than PC titles like Far cry 3 and tomb Raider that already exist today.

hell the PC i'm typing this on already has better hardware AMD FX -3850 , 16 gig of DDR3 PC 1866 ram , powercolor radeon 7870 MYST edition (uses same chip as a 7950 not a regular 7870).

Don't get me wrong i'm no fanboy and while I likely will get one of the new consoles in a few years. i'm certainly not seeing the value in it right now. I think my money would be better spent catching up by getting some of the other current gen consoles.
Score
November 1, 2013 6:46:24 AM

for some reason i'm not seeing the quote button any way...

Southernshark said this :
"Not totally true. keep in mind consoles actually predate the PC. My first at home video game experience was on a Sears Pong system. Then I moved to the Atari 2600. A lot of us old guys have fond memories of the console. More importantly though the console is cheaper/ smaller and comes out of the box with controllers which are very ergonomic. Thus it fills a role in the gaming market which would otherwise not be fully serviced."

my response .... Are you a fkn idiot ??? consoles do not predate PC's . Apple and IBM both had PC's to market a good year or two prior to any console system. do some research on it before you speak.
Score
November 1, 2013 6:52:19 AM

" Aaaaand, we all know Frostbite 3 is still using the [removed] AA mode in existence: FXAA
Which applies Vaseline blur on the display. So that might explain the soft PS4 shots."

actually toms did a up close comparision screen shot of FXAA and real time 4XAA , and concluded that FXAA is actualy better image quality than 4xAA the problem is not in FXAA , its the way that the frost bite engine goes about implementing it. compare 4XAA and FXAA in a different game engine and you'll see in most cases the FXAA looks better while also taxing your system less because its a post processing AA.

Watch the language. - G
Score
November 1, 2013 7:20:16 AM

And we're supposed to forget that in full-motion video resolution is the least significant measure?
Score
November 1, 2013 7:27:14 AM

Hahahahaha, that last line made me LOL at work.
Couldn't have said it better myself. If you want plug and play, go console. If you want the best graphics, frame rates, effects etc etc and are willing do deal with some bugs/technical issues, PC is the way to go!!
Score
November 1, 2013 7:28:38 AM

Will this piece of turd really not run at 1080p on an xbone? I guess 10 year old game engines are just too much for new consoles.
Score
November 1, 2013 9:09:03 AM

heero yuy said:

consoles are pcs...
consoles do predate the IBM standard (a computer by one company would not work with bits from another company think of it today as being dell computers can only have NVidia cards and HP computers can only have AMD cards)

Well the meaning of words change. I give you that. But back in the day to be a PC a device needed two qualities to be called a PC. It had to be upgradeable and programmable by the owner ( easily ). A console is neither of those things out of the box. There have been hybrids like the Atari 800 or 1200xl and the Commodore 64 which were part PC and part console but those devices are long dead. Today's consoles would not have been deemed PCs in the 80s even though the processors are much more powerful.
Score
!