Galaxy Nexus Won't Get Android 4.4 KitKat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
It's funny, I just purchased that phone the other day. I'm not worried though, given enough time the big players, CWM, AOKP, Paranoid Android, etc will make a 4.4 release, and we'll get it.

It's better like this, honestly, I wouldn't want a crippled 4.4 update (only in name, not in features), the kind Apple gives it's older iPhones (they change the name, but cripple the actual OS features).
Besides, there will be more 4.4-based ROMs out there than you could shake a stick at (sic!).

Verrin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
The Nexus phones are at least some of the best supported phones by third party ROMs, so I'm certainly not worried. She's not out to pasture just yet.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
I agree, I had a Nexus S 4g and I stopped getting updates at 4.2 (or 4.1 I can't remember) even though the updates didn't really require anything more on the hardware side (the ROM community provide this with some great releases). I really don't understand why they didn't allow the update then, just like how I don't understand why the galaxy nexus isn't getting the update now. If Google plans on dropping support for phones after 2 years then they should come out and say it. It is very confusing for consumers to hear about how awesomely efficient the new platform will be, how it will run on more phones than the previous version (4.3), and then stop support phones that run the more hardware hungry version. Shame on Google... I just hope my N4 gets updates until at least this time 2015.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I guess its time to trade mine in for the LG G2 which looks pretty sweet. I'd go with a Nexus 5 but unfortunately Verizon screwed up and is the only carrier that will probably never get a nexus again. Boo.

Bill Reinhardt

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
I'm still perfectly happy with my Gnex. Currently running Cyanogenmod and have no real reason to upgrade (especially since I still have Verizon unlimited data, its basically contraband now). I want to fight the good fight and keep unlimited data for as long as i can!

ninjustin

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I'm a little dismayed about this from a security perspective but Google seems to be releasing so many of their apps via the play store. I think the new launcher and hangouts will make me happy until CM has an update.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
using a galaxy nexus myself, this dissappoints me a litte... though since I already rooted it when sprint did not push the upgrade for 4.3 its less of a big deal to me as i will install 4.4 soon as i can get the files to do so. makes me wary abotu buying another nexus device though I was going to buy the nexus 5 in a few months not i probably won't, i blamed sprint for not updating my nexus to 4.3 which they released the update for but sprint and verizon did not push it to customers this time though it is a fault of google and the nexus line, oh well, i wanted a larger water resistant phone anyway and the sony z1 ultra looks good

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
not to sound like an apologist to google but it appears this may be due to problems with the TI chipset, TI (Texas Instruments) stopped thier mobile dept a while back and this might explain it, less sketchy and makes the nexus 5 look like it might be a viable option again as i doubt lg is going anywhere... still wary if that is just an excuse

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
"Galaxy Nexus Won't Get Android 4.4 KitKat"

Yes, it will. It's called Cyanogenmod (or any other custom distro) and everyone who's using it couldn't give less of a damn about Google's/carrier's/manufacturer's update policy. Why do we tolerate such BS on phones? Imagine MS saying you can't install Windows 7/8 on your 2-year-old PC the hardware of which is perfectly capable of handling it? Go install Cyanogenmod or other distro ASAP and forget about this nonsense update drama, I'm running Android 4.3 on my SGS1 and it's awesome.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
It makes me a sad to read these comments. Nexus people are sounding more and more like Apple people. Google is a huge company with incredible talent. It should be not be much trouble, and if it is that doesn't matter, to release the update. Upgrades are one of the main reasons for buying a Nexus device, besides price. I could understand not moving phones before the Nexus S, but the Nexus S forward are perfectly capable of handling these updates. Google says they want to prevent fragmentation with one hand and creates more with the other! They are sending the message to other vendors that phones that aren't even 2 years old should be dropped and no longer supported. I understand, as I personally use custom ROMs, that the ROM community is doing a fantastic job on developing for these phones, but consumers shouldn't have to resort to that processes (although pretty easy) to get the latest updates for their phones. I just don't understand why they won't continue to support these devices and I don't understand why so many people are allowing one of the biggest names in the tech industry a slide.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

This would be a nice update for a phone with hdmi output though which, I'll admit, I have no idea whether the Nexus has. I like the direction this is going though - tiny little devices that can act as a media hub plugged into a much larger system.

Heh, no kidding. But that's the way of it - Google gets away with stuff like this while other companies get crucified for similar things - both Windows Phone and Apple have been raked through the coals over lack of back support for some of their updates. They're the "cool kid" in the school right now and, it seems, will continue to be so.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008

That's actually the first thing I thought of when I read this headline. This phone's TI CPU is probably why it'll have a shorter-than-usual shelf-life, it already cannot run a lot of the newer apps and benchmarks.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

So could you please explain to me how come only the maguro variant of the Galaxy Nexus got updated to 4.3, while all other variants got stuck at 4.2.

The same thing also happened to the Nexus One and the Nexus S.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Well, I don't give Google a pass on not supporting the Galaxy Nexus, especially without giving any kind of reasonable explanation.

I bought a Nexus phone because I wanted to stay up on the OS - and that's the only reason I chose it. So why would I choose another Nexus now? Google has broken the promise, broken that social contract with me, so how can I trust them going forward?

Yes, I know that they actually dumped the update responsibility with the Galaxy Nexus on Samsung (at least here in Canada), but that is not an excuse and it definitely isn't a reason.

I would have considered the Nexus 5 before, but now, why bother. They may decide not to include it when Android 4.5 comes out.

Steve Van Loenen

Honorable
May 24, 2013
The reason the phone is not getting the update is simple Samsung does not want to utilize the resources to update the phone. They have a very short span for device support.

TwoBridges

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
otacon , November 1, 2013 6:21 PM

What are you talking about? iOS7 will run on the 3 year old iPhone4 and the 2 year old iPad 2. Try running KitKat on any Android tablet that's 2 years old..lmao

Once again you show how little you know. My tablet is two years old. quad core and 1 gb of RAM. It runs 4.3 extremely smoothly and kitkat will be the same! now run along

Be0wulf22

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010

I was being sarcastic. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS