Would 4gb of vram be enough for a heavy modded Skyrim?

lord hircine

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
I want to get the R9 290X 4gb vram in order to mod the **** out of Skyrim but not sure if it'll be enough. I have a single 1080 monitor. If its not enough i could still wait till next year. I know the titan is 6gb but i will never pay 800-1000 for a graphic card. Thanks

Solution
first of all, with ENBseries 0.229(a must have for skyrim), you will get dx10 type effects and ambient occlusion, smaa, water effects, lighting and shadow effects etc., all sorts of fun stuff.... you wont need an nvidia card for that. second... skyrim will crash when it hits 3.1gb vram... anything over that wont help you, but the enb will make sure you dont cross that barrier if you have a card with more than 3gb vram as the game engine will try to use it and fail. third and most important.... and you can go on nexus forums to confirm it if you want or dont believe me... but 2gb cards will not cut it if you want to run ultra maxed texture mesh mods... everybody over there ditched their 2gb 670/680's for much more stable 4gb models or...

xhaxhank

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
If you want to play skyrim why dont you get nvidia card? You also get to enable Ambient Occlusion, Transparency Supersampling, and Adaptive VSync with Nvidia drivers, which you can't on the 290x. And if you're going to play at 1080p only even 2gb of VRAM is more than enough for you. Worse case scenario you can turn down the AA

none of this is a good answer.............. amd cards don't have the same architecture as nvidia so you can't suggest this and have it make any sense.............."You also get to enable Ambient Occlusion, Transparency Supersampling, and Adaptive VSync with Nvidia"................ and it's also an idiotic rexponse.

also, when you say this............" at 1080p only even 2gb of VRAM is more than enough for you."........................ not in skyrim. sorry. there are instances where 2gigs will be surpassed depending on the mods run.

hypothetically if you take a 1gig/2gig/3gig gtx670................ and you run the same game at the same settings................ i doubt you will ever see the card use all of that 1gig, or all of that 2gig/3gig frame buffer. it will almost if not always have less usage than what's available. It will however, if more vram is availabe, use more than it's predecessor. (1gig/2gig/3gig )

first of all, with ENBseries 0.229(a must have for skyrim), you will get dx10 type effects and ambient occlusion, smaa, water effects, lighting and shadow effects etc., all sorts of fun stuff.... you wont need an nvidia card for that. second... skyrim will crash when it hits 3.1gb vram... anything over that wont help you, but the enb will make sure you dont cross that barrier if you have a card with more than 3gb vram as the game engine will try to use it and fail. third and most important.... and you can go on nexus forums to confirm it if you want or dont believe me... but 2gb cards will not cut it if you want to run ultra maxed texture mesh mods... everybody over there ditched their 2gb 670/680's for much more stable 4gb models or 3gb 7950/7970's because fps falls through the floor as soon as you use up the vram which is very easy to do.

3gb and up for skyrim... its the only way to go if your serious about your skyrim experience. if you get an nvidia card, make sure is not some wimpy 2gb model.

Solution

AO is not brand specific. I don't know why you would need NVidia to turn it on unless there are dirty tricks again.

Try radeonPro if you want adaptive vsync on radeon cards.

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008

To answer your question very directly with supreme knowledge and wherewithall of what you asked...yes, it's enough and its epic bro.