evga gtx 590 crass on bf4

iceraider07

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
hello all. I have an evga gtx 590 classified and i cannot get past the first 30 seconds of the opening scene of battlefield 4. The computer crashes, reboots, and reports a video card issue. Can i even run the game on my card and at what settings would you suggest? All new drivers installed as well. Thank you for any replies.

iceraider07

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

airflow is good. Computer is on top of desk and wide open. It is also clean and dust free. Downloaded MSI afterburner and temps are 66-67 with the fan at 95%.

The game set on auto has all graphics set to High. I'm is this card so old I will only be able to do medium? Either way, it's a 590, I figured it would be able to hand good resolution just fine with this game.

iceraider07

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

Ok, that sux. Unfortunately I don't have the old CD. I recently reorganized my house and I'm sure I lost it somewhere. I just did an OS restore and had to use the ones from their site. Everything has worked fine, even 3D, until this.

iceraider07

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
Thanks. I read some stuff on a forum while waiting for your replay and it seems lots of 590 users are having issues with their card stuttering or dying while playing BF3 (not 4) with the 3xx drivers. I heard a few people say 296.10 works well so I'm going to give that a try before testing a beta. Again, thank you very much for all your help. Also, yes, I have Win 7 64bit

iceraider07

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
Ok, I switched to the 296.10 driver and it is working fine. However, the automatic settings with everything on high seemed a bit slow/choppy. I changed antialiasing post to medium and and ambient occlusion to SSAO. not really sure what these do but it slightly brighter and much smoother. Thank you all for help. If anyone could enlighten me to what these do and why it just made such a big difference how how the game is running would be great. THANKS!

well never mind it just crashed again using these drivers. Going to try the beta drivers posted above

iceraider07

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

I don't have any other games installed. The last game I played on the computer was BF3 and I have recently fresh installed my OS so it is no longer on here.

iceraider07

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

thank you kristian. I'm trying your beta drivers now. hopefully i'll get further this time. I played or about 3 minutes and practiced some shooting on the old drivers. It seemed fine. I quit out to post it was fixed, went back, and then it crashed after a few seconds again. ugh.

iceraider07

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

intel i7 940Ghz 2.93GHz
8.00 GB RAM
64 bit OS
EVGA GTX 590 Classified GPU
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

dkulprit

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/IMPORTANT-Updated-11-10-BF4-Beta-Known-Issues/td-p/1600897

scroll down to "Known PC issues," in bold "We have received reports of Freezes and Crashes affecting the BF4 Beta client. Our team is currently investigating this matter and we will update you here as soon as we know more.

If you are affected by a Freeze or a Crash upon joining a game, and the error message “BF4 Beta has stopped working” appears, please make sure your Windows is fully updated and your Graphic card is running on its latest driver. Alternatively, some players using GeForce drivers were able to fix this by downgrading their driver to an earlier version. "

It is a known issue, I wouldn't point to your hardware yet. If you want to test if it is your hardware, download a benchmarking software, like msi komburster, set the settings to high, and just let it run. If it isn't crashing, it's not your card.

iceraider07

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

I got about 20-30 seconds into that burn in test and it crashed. Guessing my card has gone bad then eh? sounded like it was pushing it pretty hard

iceraider07

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
Well, EVGA is a fantastic company. They have a lifetime warranty on card. I called and had an intelligent, helpful rep in less than a minute. We quickly determined the card is failing after explaining my trouble shooting to him and they are sending me a replacement. I had to call back to ask another question and I got another intelligent and helpful rep in less than a minute. I'll update in about a week when the new card gets here and I see if it works. Thank you everyone who took to time to offer up their help.

dkulprit

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

lower setting and try again to see if it works. Find at which resolution its crashing. What are the temps before crash? The other issue could be the psu failing to deliver power. If its out of warranty, open the shroud and see if the radiator is clogged. If you have a spare psu, throw it in there and test it.

The-eh

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
Take the card out of the computer and look under the fan; my gtx590 crashed consistently in benchmark programs until I removed dust that were covering the heat-sink and obstructing the air-flow. You don't have to dismantle the card itself, just blow air in to the heatsinks from the sides of the card, and dust should fall out around the fan.