Streaming 720p/1080p Possibly need to upgrade?

kologa

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
Hey,

I have recently dabbled with the idea of streaming games. All kinds of games either at 720 or 1080 depending on game. I have done some test streams and there is stuttering and frame skipping based on OBS. Once I built my computer (over a year ago) I did not keep up with the current technologies so I have no real idea what has been going on. Hence my request for help here.

I have gone to my own gaming community for advise and they seem to suggest my 2500k is showing its age. I currently have it OC'ed between 4 and 4.2ghz I cannot recall off the top of my head. I will be in a position to upgrade soon if need be and I am curious if I can make it work with my setup or if indeed my cpu, cpu/mobo or even my video card needs to be replaced.

I have been looking at the i7's and i5's 4000 series but I am not really sure where to go from there. I also see they are 1155 but it seems weird they would work with my "old" mobo.

Anyone I hope I can get some suggestions here and by all means let me know if you need more details I would be happy to provide.

PC Specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3
Ram: 2x4GB Kingston
Processor: i5 2500k OC'd to 4.0ghz
Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D
Power Supply: Corsair 750W Bronze
Video Card: EVGA SC 660ti

8350rocks

Distinguished
For streaming, the i7 series would benefit you, however, depending on how much streaming you do, it may not be enough to matter in the grander scheme.

Your 2500k should be fine for what you're doing, I would OC more, as much as 4.5+ if you can get it stable. You may need more aggressive cooling to do so. However, I don't feel that going to a newer CPU would be greatly impactful.

However, your 660Ti is very much a low/mid end card. For streaming, I would look at something like the R9-280X or R9-290/290X and get a serious upgrade in your graphics. That would likely make the biggest difference for you.

Also, what are you using to stream? Some programs are more resource heavy then others, so you might investigate different software and see if you can find a program that is less intensive. I can recommend a few programs if the one you have is resource heavy.

Mopkap

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Nah mate you should be good-to-go for streaming. I would recommend upgrading your GPU though, because soon that 660ti isn't going to be able to handle it ;)

kologa

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
I am currently testing with OBS. By more aggressive cooling I assume you mean liquid based? Would a closed circuit cooler be enough for this puprose such as corsair H series?

So is the R9-280X around the same kind of card as the current Nvidia 770? I have (perhaps an irrational) preference for Nvida and the 770 seems to be in the same price range.

So the video card could actually be causing this stuttering?

8350rocks

Distinguished

R9-280X is a bit better than the 770, and the R9-290 is better than the 780, and the R9-290X is better than the Titan and GTX 780Ti.

However, you can buy the R9-280X for $299, while the NVidia stuff is more expensive...

Try out Radeon, you may like it better...they're better for streaming any way...

Yes, your video card may not have the horsepower to stream and run the game at the same time. In fact, I would bet it doesn't pretty handily. I have a HD 7870XT (almost a HD 7950, but mine has 2 GB VRAM instead of 3 GB VRAM, the HD 7950 is pretty much GTX 770 performance), and I don't run heavy streaming on GPU intensive games...

EDIT: If you really want to save some money, buy a HD 7950 Boost for $220 and call it a day...that's a GPU that trades blows with the GTX 770 for 60% of the price of the 770.

kologa

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
Well that is good to hear. I figured I would have to up both my cpu and video card so that is nice I can save alot of money.

You mentioned needing better cooling and attempting to hit 4.5 on my 2500k any recommendations for that?

8350rocks

Distinguished

Certainly...

Look at the following air coolers:

Zalman CNPS9900 MAX-B
Noctua NHD-14
Thermaltake NiC C5
Cooler Master V8 GTS

kologa

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

Thanks for the quick responses. I will pick up a better cooler and OC my 2500k. I think I will upgrade to a 770 as I do not have the money for a 780. Really hoping this will solve my problems.

Thanks Again.

TRENDING THREADS