Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I'm looking to get a new Alienware Computer, what graphics card should I choose?

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 1, 2013 8:11:48 PM

I have these choices, I have read the reviews and they are heated between the 670s and 690s but are the other options just as good if not better (besides, they don't have the 670s and 690s as duals listed)? I'm thinking of running 5 to 7 monitors for games such as iRacing, The Sims 3-4, Flight Sims, but one of those FPS games... well maybe I'll start, I just don't like having tunnel vision in those damn FPS games...

Dual Video Card Options

Included in Price
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 graphics with 3GB total (2x 1.5GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled

+$450.00or $14/month
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 Ti with 2GB GDDR5

+$450.00or $14/month
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680 2GB GDDR5

+$500.00or $15/month
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770 graphics with 4GB total (2x 2GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled

+$900.00or $27/month
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780 graphics with 6GB total (2x 3GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled
November 1, 2013 8:18:58 PM

Well i would get the if i had an unlimited budget but do you even have a budget? ( i guess not if your looking at alienware)
+$900.00or $27/month
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780 graphics with 6GB total (2x 3GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled
a c 487 U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 8:19:26 PM

Normally we would suggest you go with a custom built, but none of those additional options are worth the money, SLI 760's are powerful enough as they are
Related resources
November 1, 2013 8:30:39 PM

rolandzhang3 said:
Normally we would suggest you go with a custom built, but none of those additional options are worth the money, SLI 760's are powerful enough as they are


so what are you saying? Get the single 670/690 then buy a 2nd if the computer has the slot(s)?

Edit: sorry my dyslexia got me that time... So you are saying get the 1st option?
November 1, 2013 8:32:36 PM

RepoDraghon said:
rolandzhang3 said:
Normally we would suggest you go with a custom built, but none of those additional options are worth the money, SLI 760's are powerful enough as they are


so what are you saying? Get the single 670/690 then buy a 2nd if the computer has the slot(s)?

we're saying that you should go with a custom build as alienware is overpriced.
November 1, 2013 8:36:09 PM

Sorry, I edited my last question... I know it's overpriced, it's like Apple, you are buying the name... but there are things I want that I see only the Alienware has... I know now actually that the Dell site (who owns Alienware) has the same stuff for less as it is not branded Alienware...
November 1, 2013 8:37:39 PM

Whats your budget then because if your on a budget then i wouldn't get the dual gtx 780's
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 8:38:04 PM

What is it that they have that others don't, that you are willing to pay several HUNDRED dollars more for? The cases?

Really, a custom bulid will save you money, and get you better overall results.
a c 487 U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 8:42:12 PM

The only thing I'm aware of that they do is customized LED colours... a custom build with SLI 770s or CF 7970/280x will be cheaper and you'll get much more bang for buck
November 1, 2013 8:47:02 PM

1, whatever the final price is, maybe max $3000 (right now its around 2250)
2, I don't have to build it myself (Although I could get my Brother in law to build one, he builds them)
3, Glow, Liquid Cooling, Cool Looks, Name, and Fan Base (not every computer company has all of these all together)
a c 487 U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 8:54:03 PM

This is just a random build you could get for less than 2k (you can add in your preferred liquid cooling and LED fans etc. yourself)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Wc4d

EDIT: outdated link
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 8:57:42 PM

RepoDraghon said:
1, whatever the final price is, maybe max $3000 (right now its around 2250)
2, I don't have to build it myself (Although I could get my Brother in law to build one, he builds them)
3, Glow, Liquid Cooling, Cool Looks, Name, and Fan Base (not every computer company has all of these all together)
when i hear "i have an alienware" i really hear " im a noob" build one dude way better for cheaper.

a c 487 U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 9:00:16 PM

Alternatively, given the recent price drop of the 780, this is also viable

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1WcaN

EDIT: outdated link
November 1, 2013 9:00:36 PM

I'm sure that would do, but There's something else that Alienware has that not any other computer really has, People making sure all the latest components will actually work together and don't just throw things together saying, "oh it'll fit so it will work." but then another thing you are not taking in account of, is the OS there, that's another 1000 on top of that price...
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 9:02:15 PM

OS costs next to nothing so don't worry about it. All components work together so long as they are intended to do so, pretty much the only thing you cant mix are CPU's with motherboards they aren't meant for.
a c 487 U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 9:03:02 PM

Win7 Ultimate is around $500 or so, Home Premium 64 bit is $85. Haven't had any experience with their customer support so don't know how well they hold up :D 
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 9:04:44 PM

RepoDraghon said:
1, whatever the final price is, maybe max $3000 (right now its around 2250)
2, I don't have to build it myself (Although I could get my Brother in law to build one, he builds them)
3, Glow, Liquid Cooling, Cool Looks, Name, and Fan Base (not every computer company has all of these all together)


RepoDraghon said:
I'm sure that would do, but There's something else that Alienware has that not any other computer really has, People making sure all the latest components will actually work together and don't just throw things together saying, "oh it'll fit so it will work." but then another thing you are not taking in account of, is the OS there, that's another 1000 on top of that price...


That's why we are here, we can make sure all of your components will work together. Also, 1000? What OS are you buying?
November 1, 2013 9:09:55 PM

well, they used to be that, yeah I'm looking on Frys.com and it looks like windows 8 is only $200, though I don't understand 8, my parents have it and it confuses me, and I'm the computer whiz out of the 3 of us...
a c 487 U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 9:13:33 PM

Just stick with a 64 bit version of Windows 7 and you should be fine, you can always upgrade to 8 (maybe 9 in future) when the need arises
November 1, 2013 9:19:24 PM

The Vista I'm using right now has a free upgrade to 7 but the problem is, The teacher I got this computer from doesn't have the receipt to where she got it nor when, so I cant upgrade to 7, but that's ok, this is a tired old computer that seems to use too much ram for stuff I'm not using... but seriously, back to the OP, what one is the best? just for future route, maybe I will go custom, but then what are my options? dual 670s/690s, or the higher 780s, etc etc etc....? but then what am I to aim for? if I get one setup i am limited to certain motherboards, then all the other components, so on and so forth, I just want to go to Alienware or dell or something cause I don't have to think about that, otherwise I'd have to keep coming on here to ask and ask and ask, then you guys would be sick of me :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 9:22:49 PM

We spend our time here because we enjoy helping others. :) 

It takes awhile to learn the various terminology, but whenever you are confused you just ahve to ask. Some people have posted builds already. For $1500, you can build your own machine that will run games at ultra for years to come.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 9:24:05 PM

You've got everything back to front. It's if you go Alienware you'd be tied down to specific components, not your own build. Alienware PC's use proprietary motherboard and case fittings, and sometimes PSU's depending on the model, meaning you cant change your case, motherboard or anything without buying a whole new system, and since its an OEM, even if you did swap the components, you'd have to buy Windows again, since with pre-builts the copy of windows is tied to the motherboard.

With a custom made PC all you do is take the old part out and put the new one in.
a c 487 U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 9:31:32 PM

You could customize that full tower PC case to your heart's content with LEDs and fans, the amount of airflow and cooling would be much better. Everything is nice and customizable, OEM desktops always have some proprietary part fitting as cooky just mentioned :D 
November 1, 2013 9:31:40 PM

well, I know I want the options I stated above where I numbered... I know that going with any system, I can ADD the parts that are not in the system later, but it's an all in one setup and isn't that what now-a-days is about? that's why we have things like Dealerships for cars... not everyone wants to build their own custom thing, but do want some leeway on the choices... at the Fry's Electronic store, they have gutted towers on display, and some of them are awesome and I have thought about building my own system, I just am to scared to do my own thing or have someone do it for me, cause where's the support then? I dunno, my head just can't think like others and things come out in random, so sorry if I sound like I'm talking gibberish...
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 9:34:50 PM

The support is on individual components, if something goes bad, you RMA it with the retailer you bought it from or the manufacturer who made it.
a c 487 U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 9:35:59 PM

The chances of all the parts being DOA would be like being struck by lightning multiple times in one go :D , some manufacturers even have lifetime warranties
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 9:37:45 PM

It's actually very easy to build yourself, if you ever played with LEGO as a kid you should already know what it's like.
November 1, 2013 9:48:49 PM

yeah and my Lego sets were never good, lol... but I did love playing with them... I get what you are saying about the custom computer, I just don't know, you guys are leaning me towards the Custom, but I just am too scared to screw something up and buy the wrong thing, I know if I get the Motherboard, I'd want something with the most ports possible for future expansion, so what would that be? then what video card(s) for 5-7 monitors? What game out there is the most labor intensive (not that I'd get it, esp if it's a FPS) on video cards, then suggest me a card that will easily handle it? Then I'd want a great-well it could be crappy but at least good enough 5.1-7.1 surround card, then I'd want a minimum 32GB Ram, I am actually on a computer with a total of 363GB (so says the properties of the C drive) and am fine with that amount but more is better of course, I'm considering an SSD (I seem to burn out the regular drives like crazy)... what else? is my $3000 budget busted already? I'm only considering 5-7 screens but I think most of the games I play will only require 1, maybe a 2nd or 3rd for looking at websites while playing...
November 1, 2013 9:53:13 PM

Oh, I moved to Arizona if anyone lives around here and knows what's best for cooling the systems... I know I should shut the computer down once in a while but I am one of those people who leave it on 24/7...
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 9:56:01 PM

A $3000 is astronomical for a custom build so don't worry there. The build rolandzhang3 suggested a few posts up is pretty close to perfect, just pick out a case you like the look of and build that with it, though I'm not entirely sure why he suggested a full tower then a mATX motherboard, its a bit cheaper but cuts out on features, this is a better choice in my opinion. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 1, 2013 10:00:32 PM

that looks pretty full, everything is lose to others, is there one that is more spaced out so nothing is so clumped together?
a c 487 U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 10:03:05 PM

Oh woops didn't notice it was a micro ATX mobo haha, never compiled a list of high end parts so yeah :D , ATX is about as spaced out as you can go

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1WdMK

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($119.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY XLR8 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($484.70 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($484.70 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 850W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($107.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2096.31
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-02 01:20 EDT-0400)
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2013 10:03:29 PM

RepoDraghon said:
yeah and my Lego sets were never good, lol... but I did love playing with them... I get what you are saying about the custom computer, I just don't know, you guys are leaning me towards the Custom, but I just am too scared to screw something up and buy the wrong thing, I know if I get the Motherboard, I'd want something with the most ports possible for future expansion, so what would that be? then what video card(s) for 5-7 monitors? What game out there is the most labor intensive (not that I'd get it, esp if it's a FPS) on video cards, then suggest me a card that will easily handle it? Then I'd want a great-well it could be crappy but at least good enough 5.1-7.1 surround card, then I'd want a minimum 32GB Ram, I am actually on a computer with a total of 363GB (so says the properties of the C drive) and am fine with that amount but more is better of course, I'm considering an SSD (I seem to burn out the regular drives like crazy)... what else? is my $3000 budget busted already? I'm only considering 5-7 screens but I think most of the games I play will only require 1, maybe a 2nd or 3rd for looking at websites while playing...


RepoDraghon said:
Oh, I moved to Arizona if anyone lives around here and knows what's best for cooling the systems... I know I should shut the computer down once in a while but I am one of those people who leave it on 24/7...


I'm serious that it's very easy to build. There are tons of tutorials you can follow too. I used this one the first time I ever built:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

Something like this is completely viable for $2500 (not really sure the reason behind 32GB of RAM though, most games don't even use 8GB).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Eisberg 240L Prestige 60.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($374.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($264.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($258.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($484.70 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($484.70 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Raider ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $2648.29
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-02 01:03 EDT-0400)
November 1, 2013 11:56:56 PM

Sorry for the late response, went to the store, which is 30 minutes away, then had to shop for food and then come back... well the 32 cause I saw that it is possible and @ 32 I might not have to upgrade that forever after and it's already cheap enough that it's not that big of a deal to just do it now... I already have 4x2GB but the comp here it's in can only see/read/write on 4gb apparently it's OS related as the Vista 32bit can only read 4GB while the 64bit can read up to 8GB
November 2, 2013 12:00:05 AM

I really wanted the Blackmagic Intensity Pro Video card cause it has a built in recorder for TV stuff like the PS3 but It doesn't really appease me like having 5-7 monitors and besides, there are other external devices that record tv too...

Edit: Oh, just putting it out there, I don't really care about sound, but the quieter the better, I will most likely buy this automotive grade sound deadener called "Boom Mat" and put it in the unit to quiet it down...
November 2, 2013 3:20:36 AM

Blaise170 said:

I'm serious that it's very easy to build. There are tons of tutorials you can follow too. I used this one the first time I ever built:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

Something like this is completely viable for $2500 (not really sure the reason behind 32GB of RAM though, most games don't even use 8GB).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Eisberg 240L Prestige 60.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($374.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($264.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($258.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($484.70 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($484.70 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Raider ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $2648.29
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-02 01:03 EDT-0400)


Why did you pick the parts you picked over other, well let's say for example the 4770K, why not the 4820K or the 870s that are listed?
a c 487 U Graphics card
November 2, 2013 3:25:07 AM

If you are doing video editing/video rendering or photoshop alot, the i7 would be worth getting, otherwise just stick with the i5 if you're gaming
November 2, 2013 3:26:27 AM

I would like to record and edit videos too
a c 487 U Graphics card
November 2, 2013 3:28:58 AM

Then the i7 is definitely worth it
November 2, 2013 3:30:05 AM

but what one? I see too many to choose on my own

Edit: better yet, what is the best one for under $325?
a c 487 U Graphics card
November 2, 2013 3:33:18 AM

The 4770k should be more than enough, the 4820k also requires a bit more power to cool given its higher TDP
November 2, 2013 3:35:38 AM

I don't really care about heat, I'm gonna mass the tower with fans everywhere including the liquid cooling system... please read the post above I just edited
November 2, 2013 3:40:53 AM

this has turned into a computer build thread, lol...

OK CPU Cooler, out of the liquid cooled ones, what one is the best? I'll add, under the $115 mark and Noise is not an issue but do try to pick the quietest...
November 2, 2013 4:13:11 AM

I am adding the 100I cause I like that it has one of the fastest fan speed rate, though fan spin rate is not the only ideal thing to look at, the blade design is better to look at but everything is mostly a basic design... ok, Motherboard... I'm looking for maximum slots for everything for future upgrades (if any)? I see you recommended the ASRock and Someone said ASUS, I know ASUS brand, I dunno this other brand... The $500+ one listed is about what I expected to pay for a board, so any of these are viable, but what one is best for future expansion (not necessarily upgrade but yes that too)?
a c 487 U Graphics card
November 2, 2013 4:21:14 AM

Just make sure you add one with two PCI-E 3.0 slots for your SLI setup, Asrock is a subsidiary of ASUS IIRC
November 2, 2013 4:30:06 AM

well, I know I want to eventually get up to 7 monitors, so 2 graphic cards will be used, but then I will want an internal USB card that has a buttload of usb ports, maybe (if the Graphic cards don't have an input, then a card for input for tv stuff), then anything else I might want later on... All I know the comp I'm on can use up to 4 expansion slots on the back of the tower but only 3 are usable at this moment with the Motherboard. I want something I could possibly add (exaggerating) 50 items on the back slots and maybe minimum 4 ram slots
!