I'm looking to get a new Alienware Computer, what graphics card should I choose?

RepoDraghon

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
I have these choices, I have read the reviews and they are heated between the 670s and 690s but are the other options just as good if not better (besides, they don't have the 670s and 690s as duals listed)? I'm thinking of running 5 to 7 monitors for games such as iRacing, The Sims 3-4, Flight Sims, but one of those FPS games... well maybe I'll start, I just don't like having tunnel vision in those damn FPS games...

Dual Video Card Options

Included in Price
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 graphics with 3GB total (2x 1.5GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled

+$450.00or $14/month
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 Ti with 2GB GDDR5

+$450.00or $14/month
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680 2GB GDDR5

+$500.00or $15/month
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770 graphics with 4GB total (2x 2GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled

+$900.00or $27/month
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780 graphics with 6GB total (2x 3GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled

Arcanine300

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Well i would get the if i had an unlimited budget but do you even have a budget? ( i guess not if your looking at alienware)
+$900.00or $27/month
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780 graphics with 6GB total (2x 3GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled

RepoDraghon

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012

so what are you saying? Get the single 670/690 then buy a 2nd if the computer has the slot(s)?

Edit: sorry my dyslexia got me that time... So you are saying get the 1st option?

Arcanine300

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

we're saying that you should go with a custom build as alienware is overpriced.

RepoDraghon

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
Sorry, I edited my last question... I know it's overpriced, it's like Apple, you are buying the name... but there are things I want that I see only the Alienware has... I know now actually that the Dell site (who owns Alienware) has the same stuff for less as it is not branded Alienware...

Anub1s

Honorable
May 27, 2012
What is it that they have that others don't, that you are willing to pay several HUNDRED dollars more for? The cases?

Really, a custom bulid will save you money, and get you better overall results.

RepoDraghon

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
1, whatever the final price is, maybe max $3000 (right now its around 2250)
2, I don't have to build it myself (Although I could get my Brother in law to build one, he builds them)
3, Glow, Liquid Cooling, Cool Looks, Name, and Fan Base (not every computer company has all of these all together)

corvetteguy1994

Distinguished
when i hear "i have an alienware" i really hear " im a noob" build one dude way better for cheaper.

RepoDraghon

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
I'm sure that would do, but There's something else that Alienware has that not any other computer really has, People making sure all the latest components will actually work together and don't just throw things together saying, "oh it'll fit so it will work." but then another thing you are not taking in account of, is the OS there, that's another 1000 on top of that price...

OS costs next to nothing so don't worry about it. All components work together so long as they are intended to do so, pretty much the only thing you cant mix are CPU's with motherboards they aren't meant for.

Blaise170

Honorable

That's why we are here, we can make sure all of your components will work together. Also, 1000? What OS are you buying?

RepoDraghon

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
well, they used to be that, yeah I'm looking on Frys.com and it looks like windows 8 is only $200, though I don't understand 8, my parents have it and it confuses me, and I'm the computer whiz out of the 3 of us...

RepoDraghon

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
The Vista I'm using right now has a free upgrade to 7 but the problem is, The teacher I got this computer from doesn't have the receipt to where she got it nor when, so I cant upgrade to 7, but that's ok, this is a tired old computer that seems to use too much ram for stuff I'm not using... but seriously, back to the OP, what one is the best? just for future route, maybe I will go custom, but then what are my options? dual 670s/690s, or the higher 780s, etc etc etc....? but then what am I to aim for? if I get one setup i am limited to certain motherboards, then all the other components, so on and so forth, I just want to go to Alienware or dell or something cause I don't have to think about that, otherwise I'd have to keep coming on here to ask and ask and ask, then you guys would be sick of me :)

Blaise170

Honorable
We spend our time here because we enjoy helping others. :)

It takes awhile to learn the various terminology, but whenever you are confused you just ahve to ask. Some people have posted builds already. For $1500, you can build your own machine that will run games at ultra for years to come.

You've got everything back to front. It's if you go Alienware you'd be tied down to specific components, not your own build. Alienware PC's use proprietary motherboard and case fittings, and sometimes PSU's depending on the model, meaning you cant change your case, motherboard or anything without buying a whole new system, and since its an OEM, even if you did swap the components, you'd have to buy Windows again, since with pre-builts the copy of windows is tied to the motherboard.

With a custom made PC all you do is take the old part out and put the new one in.

You could customize that full tower PC case to your heart's content with LEDs and fans, the amount of airflow and cooling would be much better. Everything is nice and customizable, OEM desktops always have some proprietary part fitting as cooky just mentioned :D