• Too many

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Just right

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too little

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

It was brought up last year about the increase of adverts on Tom's, specifically the Tech News TV Show, which I still seem to bump into with audio on every few weeks or so. But lately it just seems like an onslaught of adverts is being spammed now, especially all the pop up ones that take up half the screen. It's gonna be like the below link pretty much soon!

http://

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
manofchalk is quite right there - registering can reduce the ad intensity you experience. I'll raise this with the UK ad folks though, just to make sure everything is working correctly on that end.

There's no sign of the ad the OP mentions in my part of the UK, Joe - beautiful downtown Newport Pagnell. However, I do keep seeing an advert that tells me that I'm registered and therefore am ad-free. :D It's not really invasive but in a netbook, it does jump in just when you think you've scrolled down enough and you have to go further to see the page.

8350rocks

Distinguished
What I want to know is...why on earth have the number of ads that pop-up been increasing? I just had a black bar with a NVidia ad across the bottom of my browser window for about 5 minutes...it was annoying as anything can get with blinking numbers and all kinds of other garbage. I personally wouldn't care if NVidia went out of business and was advertising free GPUs...I don't want ads like that in my browser window regardless of what it's about. Much less the garbage that pops up ever so often while reading threads/articles...or the flashing garbage that populates when you sign into the site.

It's all a bit disconcerting honestly...it was nice to have the site be ad free for members...this new rash of annoyances in various ad forms could be done away with and it would only make me all the more happy.

the site isn't free to host and run you know :p

advertising is a valid source of revenue.

however i do agree that they should be previewed first before they appear. some can be rather obnoxious.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Yes, and the stuff in the side bars, etc. doesn't at all bother me in the least. The part that bothers me is when it's thrown in your face and forces you to stop what you're doing to click and close the stupid little box because the rest of your screen is greyed out. The ones that go across the bottom of your browser window are particularly annoying as well...the firefox and Nvidia ads have been down there lately and I hate them. The NVidia ad doesn't even have an X to close it out...you just have to wait for it to go away which is terribly annoying!

I am all for advertising funding the site...good on them for bringing in a buck however they can. However, when the user experience begins to suffer over it...I think alternative methods should be explored.