Tesla Model S

• Thread starter Deleted member 1300495
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1300495

Hey guys do you know what kind of a solar panel array I would need to charge my Tesla Model S with the high powered wall charger. Thanks!

Solution

A very large one.

But there are far too many variables for that to be answered in here.
Location, environment, building construction, etc, etc, etc.

Contact Tesla and a local solar installation company or two.

USAFRet

Titan

A very large one.

But there are far too many variables for that to be answered in here.
Location, environment, building construction, etc, etc, etc.

Contact Tesla and a local solar installation company or two.

Solution

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Up north I have a cottage and it's off the grid. I have several 100 watt panels(exact # is always changing). They continuously charge a bank of ~twenty 12 volt lead acid batteries. The 12 volts DC goes into an inverter and then to the standard house breaker panel. I run any standard 120 volt appliances without worry.

But 240 volts at load would be too much. There is an electric water heater(220 v) and I use a gasoline generator to run that (it holds heat for many hours). But point being, you would likely need several thousand watts of solar panels to charge a model S. And typically those systems work with the grid (net metering).

D

Deleted member 1300495

Wouldnt you just be able to not attach an inverter and just use DC power? Because that is the way I was thinking about charging my Tesla

USAFRet

Titan

Direct from Tesla: http://www.teslamotors.com/models/facts
"If you’re interested in installing a home solar system to charge your Tesla, we recommend working with a local solar installer to develop and install a system that supports your total daily energy demand. Assume average energy usage per mile is approximately 330 Wh/mile (206 Wh/km). Learn more about residential solar installations from our friends at SolarCity."

You can't just wing it.

TRENDING THREADS