Bending of motherboard I/O ports when plugging in PS/2 keyboard

THK

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
Hi there.

I recently bought a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P motherboard, which I use in SilverStone Precision PS05-USB3 case. I need to connect a PS/2 keyboard to the purple PS/2 port, however there's a certain amount of force that must be applied to plug in the connector. As a result, the I/O backplate part of the motherboard bends a bit while plugging in the PS/2 connector. And if I had to plug in a PS/2 mouse (most unlikely, but still) the bending of the motherboard would be even more intense because the green PS/2 port is located on top. Anyway, the I/O part of the motherboard bends some 2-3 millimeters upwards during the procedure, and I'm afraid that if I apply more force I'll break the female PS/2 sockets off the motherboard - or crack the board itself.

My question is - how much bending/flexing the motherboard can endure before PCB cracking takes place?

And if you want to know why I don't just use the USB keyboard, there are 2 reasons:
1. For some reason, the PC wakes up from sleep when I turn on the lights in the room, if I use the USB keyboard. I've tried every possible power management setting, none of which helps.
2. I can power up the PC using my PS/2 keyboard's Power key (BIOS doesn't support cold start using USB keyboards).

elmo2006

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

I would discontinue the constant removal/insertion of the PS/2 connector. I too had this issue and one day the I/O port literally snapped off the motherboard. ONCE CONNECTED LEAVE IT ALONE!
As for your computer resuming after sleep when the lights are turned on tells me that you have a bigger issue here and you should have the electrical looked after.

THK

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
I believe I found a kind of workaround. I open the PC case, and hold the PS/2 ports with my finger while connecting the cable. A bit tricky to get my hand in there, but reduces the stress on the ports. As for waking up from sleep, it happens only with certain brands of USB keyboards. I have to test it with other models.