ASUS P9X79 PRO: CPU LED light stays on

Just built this thing a day ago and keep running into problem after problem.

This time when I turn it on, the CPU LED light stays on and it reboots after about 5 seconds. The CPU LED light stays on after it reboots and nothing displays on the monitor. Everything is plugged into where it needs to be. I don't know what's wrong with it.
10 answers Last reply
More about asus p9x79 pro cpu led light stays
  1. Check the 8 pin power cable. Make sure that it's properly connected.
    What CPU using?
    Did it work yesterday?
  2. alexoiu said:
    Check the 8 pin power cable. Make sure that it's properly connected.
    What CPU using?
    Did it work yesterday?

If you're talking about the 8-pin socket above the CPU, it's connected. I'm using an Intel Core i7-4930k 3.4Ghz cpu. I took everything apart a couple days ago and saw that I didn't position the CPU correctly. Doing that fixed an earlier problem I had.

I tried contacting ASUS, but apparently when they say that their offices close at 3 p.m. PST, they mean 1 p.m. PST or earlier, so I'm going to have to try again tomorrow. Whatever.

I checked every connection and everything is good. I don't get it. Maybe I need to RMA the mobo or the CPU.
  3. The CPU requires a newer BIOS version. There's a barcode sticker on the mtherboard. The last 4 digits on that sticker stand for the board BIOS version.
  4. After I flashed the BIOS, it blinked a few times and went solid. Now my pc no longer turns off and on after 5 seconds, but the CPU's LED light still lights up.
  5. The flash didn't succeed. What are the 4 digits?
  6. alexoiu said:
    The flash didn't succeed. What are the 4 digits?

The sticker says 4005. I downloaded Bios 4502. I think I flashed it incorrectly. I downloaded the BIOS and changed the file name to P9X79PRO.ROM. I think what I'm supposed to do is download the flashback converter and rename that instead of the BIOS itself. Is that right?
  7. No. You have to rename the file to P9X79PRO.CAP
    Use a FAT or FAT32 formatted USB drive and the designated USB Flashback port.
    The converter is not needed in your case (already CAP).
  8. alexoiu said:
    No. You have to rename the file to P9X79PRO.CAP
    Use a FAT or FAT32 formatted USB drive and the designated USB Flashback port.
    The converter is not needed in your case (already CAP).

Ok, I'll do this tomorrow after I get off work and see if it works.
  9. OK. Please post back the result.
  10. I think I discovered the problem. I noticed that some of the pins on the CPU socket on the mobo look bent and a few of the contact points on the CPU look damaged. I'm going to RMA them and get replacements.
Ask a new question

Read More

Light LED Monitor CPUs Motherboards