Can a computer technical service return hardware parts to the manufacturer?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I intend to set up a small computer technical service and have a few doubts about how it works. Here’s one:

Can you return parts you order if you find that they’re not what you need for a repair?. If you don’t understand what I say, here’s an example: you need to fix a Dell laptop from a customer and you think you need to change the screen. You order it from Dell and then you replace it and then find that it’s not the screen that is faulty. ¿How long do they take to send you the piece?. Can you return it to Dell?. ¿Should you pay for the shipping?.

Solution
The biggies (Dell, HP/Compaq, Toshiba, etc..) will only sell parts to authorized service centers. You become an authorized service center by first contacting the manufacturer and finding out what requirements you have to meet (meeting these requirements will cost $$). This is not a one time thing, there are continuing training and certification requirements that must be met in order to maintain your status.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Thanks. I wonder what manufacturers consider "an authorized shop". So if I own a repair shop and need a part, I may find out that the manufacturer won't sell to me? How am I going to fix the computer then?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
sorry for abusing your knowledge, but how would I have to pay to get parts from some of those you say?. I guess a small repair shop would will pay more than a big repair service chain because it orders parts on a lower scale, am I right?.

The biggies (Dell, HP/Compaq, Toshiba, etc..) will only sell parts to authorized service centers. You become an authorized service center by first contacting the manufacturer and finding out what requirements you have to meet (meeting these requirements will cost $$). This is not a one time thing, there are continuing training and certification requirements that must be met in order to maintain your status.

Solution

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Thanks for your answers, very clarifying. I'll see how to get more info about all this here in Spain. Although this repair shop I intend to set up would surely be in Africa (Equatorial Guinea).