Am I wasting my GTX 770 for 720p TV?

vinnywong

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
I just upgraded my video card from AMD 7850 to GTX 770. Gameplay is definitely smoother. However, I just have a 720p TV. Am I wasting my GTX 770?
I like to play games on TV because the screen is bigger.

Yeah that is a bit of a waste, get a 1080p monitor/TV to play on, you'd notice a very big difference in clarity and fidelity

With a higher end card like the 770 it's not really stretching its legs until you start using it on higher resolutions. On lower resolutions like 720p the CPU is doing more work whilst you could have an infinitely better experience if you went for a higher resolution.

IAMEXTREME

Honorable
No way! Why do you think you are wasting your GTX 770?? That's not called wasting. Wasting is when you have a gtx 770 and all you use your desktop is for "browsing", this is wasting!
720p is just fine. No need to sweat pal. Definitely NOT wasting.

Aslaf

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Its really up to you. As you mention, gmeplay is smoother, so you can clearly see the difference, and that's ok. Also your RIG will last you longer, you can easly play games on highest possible settings from now to, lets say 2018 or even longer. 720p is a ps3, wiiu and xb360 res, even some next-gen titles like battlefield 4 works in native 720p. I am using my ps3 from 5 years, and 720p is nice. You can always turn on best AA (its impossible on consoles. Imo lack of AA is more annoying than lower resolution) to achieve more crispy view.