noob VPN questions

jonnie123456789

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
Hey guys I have some questions about VPN's. I am interested into ordering a VPN subscription, I am thinking I'll go with "Private Internet Access" the reviews seem pretty good. I mainly want to mask my IP, so I can watch Hulu (im canadian). If you guys know of a better one let me know. I am using a broadband connection at my home. If I setup and connect to the VPN will only my computer have the VPN IP (3 people use the connection, me, my brother and mom)? Basically from my understanding is VPN is like a tunnel and encrypts the traffic. So if I'm connected to the VPN will everyones traffic be in the "tunnel" or just mine since im connected? Also will using a VPN to watch stuff online use more bandwidth? Thanks!

It depends how you run it. If you run the VPN from the PC only that device will use the tunnel all other devices in your house will not. you will need to put the VPN on the router for that to work and most routers cannot run the VPN.

You can figure about 10% overhead on the bandwidth but it actually depends on the packet size. It adds about 50 bytes (it varies based on the exact type of encryption) per packet but if the packets must be fragmented then it adds a second 50 bytes.

jonnie123456789

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
"It depends how you run it. If you run the VPN from the PC only that device will use the tunnel all other devices in your house will not. you will need to put the VPN on the router for that to work and most routers cannot run the VPN." Ok good this is exactly what i wanted, just my pc on the VPN. If I order a VPN subscription will I have to do anything on my router? Is setting up the VPN simple to set up? thanks

Most routers support a PC running vpn behind them with no configuration. The general support is called nat-t. A number of the more modern VPN use ssl/tls which appears to the router as a simple HTTPS session so again you have to do nothing.

I would try it and if it does not work then look thought the vendors help menus. They generally will have any router settings you need to make.

alex_reviewer

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
" - If I setup and connect to the VPN will only my computer have the VPN IP"

- Yes!!
You can set up VPN on your router to use it on all 3 devices :)

- "If you guys know of a better one let me know"
I'm currently using Seed4me Club to watch Hulu (outside the US). You can ask them to allow 2 or 3 simultaneous connections, so you won't need router setup.
Unfortunately you need an invitation to join them (google for it).