£500 new PC build input

Shoelace Express

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
After over a year of creating a theoretical build and swapping out components as my price point changes, i am finally in a position where i have enough money to buy the components.
The use of this build will be primarily for gaming, however i desire good performance in applications too, aswell as boot-up times and Windows responsiveness.
I have settled on the following components, hoping for input on any possible changes to make before i order them:
CPU: FX 6300 (will OC to 4.2GHz or so, nothing too extreme) - £80
CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO - £25
GPU: Gigabyte 2GB Radeon 7850 OC (just ordered this an hour ago as it's on sale and has limited stock) - £110
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 (i gather this is the cheapest mobo i can go with that has good VRM cooling and overclockability) - £59
Memory: 8GB 1600MHz of whatever brand (just gonna go with whatever suits my colour scheme and is priced well at the time) - ~£60
Backing storage: 1TB 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue - £42
Boot drive: Plextor M5S 128GB (not completely settled on this, i just want an SSD which will be reliable and not die on me after a couple of years, while maintaining good performance) - £72
PSU: Corsair CX 430W (little bit of headroom to suffice my OC) - £37
Case: Xigmatek Asgard Pro (i'm a bit obsessive about temperatures so i'm adamant that i have a case with front, side, bottom, rear and top fans) - £33
All feedback is welcome.

Computerchap

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
Seems like a very well rounded build, you seem to have your stuff together. I would recommend Corsair Vengeance RAM as I have 8 gigs of it and have had no issues whatsoever. You seem to know your stuff mate, have fun with your new build!

Shoelace Express

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013

The PSU is one place i see little need to increase costs on. Although i read that XFX is a great manufacturer, so is Corsair and it is fine for my needs. Reliable, functional and efficient is all i need.
As i said, i'm a bit of a temp nazi, so despite being told by people what you said, i'd rather keep them in a range i'm comfortable with. Especially in an instance where i plan to OC the CPU and GPU. This is probably comical considering i live in Scotland and i can see my breath in my ambient room temperature.
I COULD cancel the GPU, but the 7850 is plenty for what i want, hitting ultra isn't actually something i even care too much about.
It would make sense for me to ditch the SSD but quick boot-up times are the stuff of dreams for me.

Corsair is a great manufacturer, but their CX series are their only flaw. The capacitors found in the CX series aren't as good quality as other Corsair/XFX psus, which means they die quicker. So if you really want reliability, XFX is your best choice. The CX series are meant for budget builds, but with this build I would definitely spend the extra money for the XFX 550w. Not to mention, it's larger so you'll have more options for upgrading in the future.

If you feel like the 7850 is strong enough for you, then that's fine.

If you can see your breath in your ambient room temp, doesn't that mean that your room is fairly cold? That will help your temps as it will be cold air entering the case to cool your components. Also, the xigmatek asgard pro only has 2 fans as well (one front and one rear).

Shoelace Express

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013

Ah, thanks a lot for that information on the capacitors! I'll be sure to take that into consideration.
It does indeed mean my room is very cold, and why I'm saying it's almost amusing how I fuss over it. The case has 2 fans installed at stock, but there is another mount at the front, 2 mounts at the side, a mount at the bottom and another 2 mounts on the top; I will buy these separately of course, I just didn't deem them necessary information to mention.