Seven Radeon R9 280X Graphics Cards, Rounded-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 280X Vapor-X looks spot on like my HD7970 Vapor-X. Probably is the same GPU with the BIOS for the 280X loaded.

But it looks like the Toxic is a pretty nice GPU. It runs very cool for the clock speed, has the highest clock speeds and the noise is not that bad.

Now we need benchmarks of these and HD7970s to see their value.

Sid Jeong

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
I refunded MSI r9 280x and got Asus card due to heavy coil whine. I wonder new MSI bios fixed the issue?(by the look of it, it seems MSI traded coil whine with fan noise) btw how did the reviewer set up mic in the noise comparison video? cuz my card sounds a lot louder than that.

Modified means its beyond the original spec. Throttling means that it was overheating and lowering the clock speed in order to cool down. New BIOS means just that, that they received a new BIOS to fix any previous issues.

They do a mic but it depends on your config. I think these are all open setups and not in a case.

Also, I have never been a fan of MSIs setups. I prefer Sapphire or Asus for GPUs from AMD as they have better cooling solutions and tend to last longer

That VaporX and Toxic cards just look great. Hate Gigabyte's Windforce 3X for its looks. Same for the RoyalKing from Club3D. Also boo to Gigabyte , MSI and ASUS for giving no backplate. But then again , if you keep the card good , put it nicely , you wont need one unless your gonna paint it , right ?

Waiting eagerly for a Watercooled card , although I know it wont come for the 280X as basically all of these cooling solutions especially the ICEQX2 , DCII , WF 3X , Toxic and Vapor-X just keep the card cool , till the OC limit lets em go. One for the 290X maybe..............

nekromobo

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Could you also add the audio frequency of the fan (or mayhaps curve)?
I don't know if its too hard but anyways, would seem that lower frequency would be better.

G

In my case, in these round-ups, all I ever care to see are the Temp and Acoustic/Noise numbers, since the base 'on-screen' number-crunching performance is usually within a couple of FPS. ASUS has been a consistent performer, though I would love to see others catch-up.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
+1 for the audio curve, it would be extremely helpfull, not to mention highly professional.

Some of those cards seem noisier than the results, most likely because the frequency of the sound it produces is not being accurately shown by the db(A) scale.

While I love the new idea of adding to this article as new version are tested. AWESOME...
The fact that your conclusions of the existing cards tested are ?missing?, that is annoying.

Anyway. LOL to MSI, bad VRMs are showing their colour. Bloody payback time.
Amazing how quiet that Asus is.
Amazing how HEAVY the Toxic is...

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
gigabyte an msi really disappointing cards. i always sticked with sapphire, might give asus a try.

I really like the new style of comparison with charts and screens. the video noise rocks. good job, keep it up.

senkyen

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
As an owner of a r9 280x vapor-x I must say it is pretty loud under load, but can't complain about anything else. Also I don't know how useful this metal plate on the back of the card really is, but it gives a very sturdy feeling while handling the card during installation and looks much better then a "bare" card.

taikundoe

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
Club3D card has slightly different dimensions from the ones provided on their website. Unless there is a difference between Club3D R9 280X royalKing OC and non-OC? Can you guys confirm which length is correct? These few millimeters make a difference in my case :p

GoliathPtXs

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
after owning a few sapphires, XFX, ASUS Gigabyte and MSI hardware, i'll stick with ASUS. Never had any problem with them and their hardware quality is just unmatched, sapphire gets close.

But it must be done. And there are actually some minor changes that are relevant.

Michael Robinson

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
I suppose someone might want to know how much a given card weighs but surely most people just want to know how the cards actually perform? and preferably against a known base like a GTX 680 etc and preferably showing results for a few well known games. Why is this info not there?

Status
Not open for further replies.