Monitor wont turn on after bveing off for a long time.

talktoarnab

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013
HI,

A starnge problem, I am in the habit off letting my Desktop do the maintenence jobs or downloads etc. at night. So I keep my PC on and switch off the monitor and let it run overnight.
Recently I replaced my 440 W PSU with a 55O W one (Corsair VS series) and also installed Spphire HD 7770 Video card. Now my problem is my MOnitor is not turning on after i try to switch it off. Its fine when i boot my machine or restart it but if I do a manula switching of and then on of the monitor, the monitor wont find any signal to show.
Any explaination of solution for this guys? This happens for both my OSs WIndows 7 as well as Ubuntu 13.04.

Lumber-jack

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
Are you sure there is a signal being sent to your monitor? If you leave the computer on and it goes to sleep it will cease sending a signal to the monitor. When the monitor doesn't detect a signal it goes into a power saving mode and sleeps too. Since you installed a new video card the display power settings and computer power settings probably have changed - check them. Don't turn off the monitor and see if it will wake up before you change the settings and then work from there.

talktoarnab

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Well, i have set the power setting to never go to sleep automatically, but have set it to turn off display(I believe is same not as switching off the monitor to completely cut the power supply) after 10 mins. But my problem is not with the system managed power settings. When i switch off the monitor and try to switch it on (machine is running overnight), the monitor shows nothing. The monitor is switching on, but there is no display. I think its safe to assume there is no signal.It doesn't turn on even when i send any interrupt like moving my mouse or spacebar. Now if i unplug the DVI cable from the monitor and plug it back again, then move my mouse, the display comes back on.
So the problem is with the manual switching off of the monitor not with the system managed power setting. I want to completely switch off the monitor rather than turning of the display to save power.

talktoarnab

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013

Thanks will definitely try to do that, but this happens on Ubuntu too..

talktoarnab

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013
Any ideas fellas?? updated my windows, still the problem exists. Another thing i noticed that if i keep switching the monitor off and on in quick successions, the display returns at some point. The monitor has feather touch buttons and not mechanical ones. Is this some problem with the monitor, the HDMI to DVI cord, the GPU card? any ideas?? Im pretty sure the OS is not going to sleep or hibernate on anything, its plain signal not being displayed on the monitor:

Its a Samsung Syncmaster LCD 20" monitor with max display resolution of 1900 X 600 and max refresh rate of 75Hz (display is currently on 60 Hz)

talktoarnab

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013

Do you experience this every time like me? Did you mean ctrl+alt+del after switching the monitor on?? I tried that in Windows and didn't work, in Ubuntu ctrl + alt +del has no function by default. Oh and the power LED is on and the monitor keeps checking for analog and digital signals to and fro (as it displays in the monitor), and few minutes later 'No signal'..

talktoarnab

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013
Problem solved guys.. n its pretty lame. Went to the menu of the monitor, where the source was set as 'auto'. Changed it to manual, it worked. Pretty weird really, auto worked when i use my previous nvidia gt610 and 450w psu.