Should I be upgrading yet?

DJ_Nenz

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
I've been having a fair amount of FPS dips in Battlefield 4 (100+ FPS down to 8-9, intermittently, multiple times per minute. While I'm assuming it's mostly because the game still needs further optimization, it leaves me wondering what the bottleneck in my system is. (All drivers up-to-date.)

I built the rig over a year ago, and it still performs well; however, I've been wanting to switch to Intel and possibly upgrade my GPU(s). I'm unsure about going Haswell, only due to lack of knowledge. Would it be worth it to switch to Intel? If so, Haswell or Ivy? What are the advantages/disadvantages of Haswell over Ivy? (I doubt I'll be overclocking unless it becomes necessary, which is unlikely.) Also, are 2x GTX 590's in Quad-SLI still a good setup?

Specs:

Case: CoolerMaster HAF-X
CPU: AMD FX-8120 (Not OC'd)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7
RAM: 16gb DDR3 @ 803 MHZ (11-11-11-28)
GPU: 2x GTX 590 (Quad SLI)
SSD: 2x 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro (Not in a RAID Array)
HDD: 1TB Seagate 7200 RPM
PSU: 1000w CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold

In short, worth it to go Intel? And is the Quad 590 setup still viable?

Thanks in advance for any advice. If you'd like more information, please ask.

mcdonh

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
I would advise upgrading the 590's as the new gpu's have better utilization of their performance and better technology maybe a couple of 680's or pherhaps somthing from the 7 series like 770's, depends on your budget and performance wishes. I would go to intel maybe a 1155 socket with a i5 3570K or a 1150 socket with a i5 4670K 1150 is the newer socket in case you are wonering, otherwise pretty good, although if you like the WD Caviar black might be better than your current hdd

DJ_Nenz

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

Thanks for the quick response. If I were to put it this way, would I get better results from upgrading to say, a 3570k, or from upgrading to a 700 series GPU? Budget doesn't really concern me at the moment, as I've been saving a bit, but I do eventually want to upgrade both the GPU and the CPU/Mobo; just not both at the same time. I'm leaning towards the GPU upgrade first, since it's A. Easier to install. and B. I'd like to get away from the Quad SLI setup, as most drivers/games aren't optimized well for Quad SLI.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the HDD speed doesn't really concern me either, as it's mostly for storage and things I don't need quick random read access to. That's what the 840 Pro's are for. :D

I know, I'm throwing a lot of questions out there, but I'm trying to be specific in what I'm asking I guess. Thanks for the solid advice mcdonh.

mcdonh

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Assuming you live in america you can grab a couple of 780's for $1000, 780's overclocked being better than GTX Titans is it amazing graphics, I recommend a pair of EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Cards which are a little under $500 each nowdays. sure a CPU can come later but it would be better if you did both at the same time as your current one might bottleneck the 780's a little, however if you swap the CPU you would need to swap your mobo, If you do so I can reccomend the ASROCK Extreme 4 and its gets ever more complicated :S well hope that jumble of words did some form of help besides confusing you :D