Help with recovering RAID 5 volume from Intel RST!

crispy345

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
Hi!

I decided to build a array in my server approx a week or so ago, because I finally got 4x 500GB drives.

Now, I set them up in RAID 5 with the provided RAID software on the Intel controller. Set it up just fine, and worked like it should. Now, today I had to turn it off to do some power measurements, I did so, but when I turned it back on again, I noticed it told me the array had "degraded". Now, I thought to myself that it couldn't be good, so I moved the computer back to it's place, and turned it on again. Now, the controller said the array had FAILED. I have 5 drives connected to the controller, whereas the SSD I use for boot is one of them, and the 4 remaining are 500GB drives.
Then, two of them said "RAID-disk", but the third one said Offline Member, and the fourth said Incompatible.

I took some google-searches, and found out I could try resetting all the drives to Non-RAID drives and then make a new array, as it would not hurt my data. I did, but the one that said "Offline Member" said Unknown error, and the Incompatible one didn't do anything. However, when I resat the computer, the two first drives as well as the Offline Member said Non-RAID disk (which tells me all the three first drives were reset to Non-RAID disks) However, the last one said incompatible still, and this is where I am now.

So, I've found tutorials, but I have a different problem. I do have three (four with the incompatible one) working, but I have no idea to set it up again with the fourth one being incompatible. I guess if I set up only the three providing me with approx 1TB of space, my data will be lost (as the prevoius array was 1,39TB)

I would highly appreciate help, as this would be good to get back. It's not life important, but as I deleted the music on the old drives, I will lose most of it.

Kristoffer

popatim

Titan
I suspect your data is already lost. Unfortunately raid is not a replacement for making backups of important files. Since its only music and not impossible to get back - the price of this lesson was not very costly to you.

Reformat the incompatible drive and it should reset that flag and allow you to add it back into the raid.

crispy345

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
But RAID 5 should in theory hold the data on 3 of the 4 drives, right?

It was sadly not only my music, but also some files I had "rescued" from older, dying drives. How ironic.