Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • windows-8-1
Last response: in News comments
November 4, 2013 2:44:41 PM

In other news, reports say Windows has frozen since the dawn of time
Score
November 4, 2013 2:48:11 PM

Cry babies. What would they have done if they lived through Windows ME and its constant stream of BSODs?

Sissies.
Score
Related resources
November 4, 2013 2:51:10 PM

Should have stuck with Win 7...Just works,
Score
November 4, 2013 2:54:32 PM

hahaha windows me was an absolute delight, could never get anything but chipmonk sound on win me, made age of empires very funny
Score
November 4, 2013 2:57:32 PM

slow news day? 8 people reporting "similar" issues since October 18.... I don't think that constitutes for an issue worth reporting about, as the root cause can be just about anything from a buggy torrent app to faulty hard drive or simply malware...
Score
November 4, 2013 3:21:18 PM

@nbelote Completely agree, Growing up with my first computer being on windows ME is what inevitably started my IT career.
Score
November 4, 2013 3:25:48 PM

I am experiencing this myself.

For those who are claiming it's due to "buggy apps", "malware" or "faulty hardware" you don't know what you're talking about.

The article is referring to users whose systems were 100% reliable prior to the 8.1 upgrade, and are crashing and freezing after the upgrade. Hardware hasn't gone buggy. Drives SHOULD have remained compatible. Apps haven't changed.

There is OBVIOUSLY a problem in Windows 8.1 in certain configurations causing freezing. I've had to stop using Windows on my PC in favor of my backup OS (Linux yech) until this is sorted out or I have time to reinstall back to 8.0.

Just because you, personally, haven't experienced the issue, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Score
November 4, 2013 3:30:47 PM

soldier44 said:
Should have stuck with Win 7...Just works,

I have been running 8 since release and did the 8.1 preview then clean installed 8.1 officially and so far I have had no issues.

Problem is that people are very bad at maintaining their PCs. What's interesting is that if you search for one of those KBs, I only found articles based on this and nothing directly from Microsoft.

Normally if you search for a KB article you get a link from support.microsoft.com and these did not come up with that for me.
Score
November 4, 2013 3:38:52 PM

Here , windows 8.1 user
I got myself upgrade the OS on the day after launched ~
And 3 update released on windows update right after upgrade.
After those updates , I didnt update the Windows Update yet ~
I didnt experiences any freezing with those update ~
So I expect those updates probably are the reason why the windows 8.1 freeze ..
Score
November 4, 2013 3:42:00 PM

nbelote said:
Cry babies. What would they have done if they lived through Windows ME and its constant stream of BSODs?

Sissies.

Windows Me worked great for me, not a single BSOD and it was my very first OS for my very first self build. :) 
Pentium 3 800MHz
128MB ram
20GB HDD
ATi Rage XL 8MB AGP
Acer 50X CD Rom
Beige Case with PSU
Windows Me

As for Windows 8.1, it doesn't freeze for me, but flash still has problem, but I got 2 systems running the same thing Win 8.1 Pro w/MCE. Netbook works fine, like preview post on Tom's forum works in IE and FF. For my desktop it only works in IE, but not FF. :\
Score
November 4, 2013 3:44:19 PM

Wonder whats going on I've been with windows 8 since consumer preview, same with 8.1 and i've had all of two blue screens in that whole time, and i'be been on 8.1 retail since it came out and no issues at all.
Score
November 4, 2013 3:51:18 PM

I had an issue after the last set of updates. It installed the updates and rebooted, and I started getting a steady stream of low level writes to my main hard drive. I thought it was malware or something. When I rebooted trying to track down the cause, it wouldn't boot back up. it kept bluescreening on the way up saying there was an error on the hard drive. I tested the drive with OCZ's toolbox, but it came back clean. I reimaged from a backup and it came up fine. I reinstalled the latest updates, and the low level writes came back. I rebooted and it went back to the same old bluescreen. Right now, I'm holding back on updates until this is resolved, keeping my backups current.
Score
November 4, 2013 4:11:35 PM

System freezing? That could be bloody anything.

Start with the PSU and memory.
Score
November 4, 2013 4:51:26 PM

I had a similar issue when W7 SP1 came out, event viewer pointed to a usb device driver. To fix it, I went to services and changed Windows Driver Foundation to "Automatic" and I've never had this problem since.
Score
November 4, 2013 5:22:44 PM

This article would've been helpful last week. I've been using Windows 8.1 Pro a month before release because I got it on DreamSpark and I kept running into intermittent crashes, usually when playing YouTube full screen or having up Metro UI. I figured the error was due to immature video drivers from nVidia since I was running a triple monitor setup and I had just upgraded to their new drivers. This past weekend I reformatted into Windows 7 because I just couldn't take the crashes anymore. I choose Windows 7 over Windows 8 because for some reason the wi-fi drivers from ASUS for the P8Z77-V Deluxe work much better on Windows 7 than Windows 8.

To all those comparing this to Windows ME, it's not were near the same level of severity. Me and my friend used to the play this game on Windows ME when it came out, how many programs could you open before you hit the BSOD. I don't think we ever got past 5 programs running at the same time.
Score
November 4, 2013 5:22:45 PM

This article would've been helpful last week. I've been using Windows 8.1 Pro a month before release because I got it on DreamSpark and I kept running into intermittent crashes, usually when playing YouTube full screen or having up Metro UI. I figured the error was due to immature video drivers from nVidia since I was running a triple monitor setup and I had just upgraded to their new drivers. This past weekend I reformatted into Windows 7 because I just couldn't take the crashes anymore. I choose Windows 7 over Windows 8 because for some reason the wi-fi drivers from ASUS for the P8Z77-V Deluxe work much better on Windows 7 than Windows 8.

To all those comparing this to Windows ME, it's not were near the same level of severity. Me and my friend used to the play this game on Windows ME when it came out, how many programs could you open before you hit the BSOD. I don't think we ever got past 5 programs running at the same time.
Score
November 4, 2013 6:12:02 PM

Sounds to me like a SATA issue. The mouse moves because it resident in memory at a hardware level but everything else is locked tight. That normally indicates loss of communication with the drive.
Score
November 4, 2013 6:38:23 PM

aelfwyne said:
Drivers SHOULD have remained compatible.

That's a big "should". Shoddy drivers are the biggest cause of software-induced crashing since forever ago. I know Nvidia and AMD rushed to update their drivers for 8.1, for example.
Score
November 4, 2013 6:46:49 PM

Software is quite complex these days, and trying to be compatible with all kind of hardware can be a problem.

Windows 8/8.1 has been the most stable version yet for me, so I am happy, just hope they fix the issues for people.
Score
November 4, 2013 7:20:46 PM

No freezing here its been running great
Score
November 4, 2013 9:23:20 PM

All the issues on this PC are DICE related, but there's been no problems with my 8.1 install as such. In any case, out of curiosity I followed the instructions in the article and the "Performance Troubleshooter" is not one of the items listed after clicking "View All" in the left pane.
Score
November 4, 2013 10:08:08 PM

I think I may sit this OS, out. I've been upgrading to every new OS since XP. XP was great, Vista sucked, 7 is still great. 8 sucks (or so I've heard). 8.1 is better than 8.1 (or so I've heard, too).
Score
November 4, 2013 11:20:37 PM

When I first installed Windows 8.1 Pro, my PC was constantly freezing (4-5 secs at a time).

However, I downloaded and installed motherboard (including LAN) drivers for my Gigabyte motherboard.

These were quite old- around December 2012- and certainly much older than the drivers that came with Windows 8.1.

I have not had a single freezup since. The PC has been rock solid for the last 6-8 weeks.
Score
November 5, 2013 12:17:50 AM

Windows 8.1 has a lot of issues with drivers, and drivers that worked with Windows 8 do not necessarily work with Windows 8.1 particularly wireless drivers and network drivers. Also some software is now incompatible with Windows 8.1 such as classic shell which even the latest version crashes on shut down. These issues are the probably cause for Windows 8.1 freezing.
There are also many small changes in Windows 8.1 usage that only serve to annoy. I recommend that users should stick to Windows 8 or better yet install Windows 7.
Why Microsoft why?
Score
November 5, 2013 12:18:56 AM

8.1 runs like a champion for me. high five.
Score
November 5, 2013 2:25:26 AM

Well I have been using win 8 for months untill I update it to win 8.1. Amazingly my screen went blank but my mouse pointer works just fine. I can point anywhere on the screen but the screen was blank. Even after I restart my laptop the problem still there. So I tried to recover my windows installation. After that I lose almost all previously installed drivers and apps and games. There was a report called "removed apps" on my desktop after that which open my browser if i click. In there I found lots of apps and drivers has been removed.
Score
November 5, 2013 2:42:18 AM

Fresh install!
Score
November 5, 2013 3:11:51 AM

aelfwyne

Maybe I should have made my self clearer. Just because Windows hangs, it's not automatically an issue for Microsoft to look into.Most of the times, it's because of a buggy program or utility you have installed yourself.

The low number of people actually reporting this points to the fact that this is such a non-issue.
Score
November 5, 2013 4:27:19 AM

Hmm... I don't have "Performance Troubleshooter" when I click View All in Troubleshooting in 8.1.
Score
November 5, 2013 5:30:07 AM

lp231 said:
nbelote said:

Sissies.

Windows Me worked great for me, not a single BSOD and it was my very first OS for my very first self build. :) 
Pentium 3 800MHz
128MB ram
20GB HDD
ATi Rage XL 8MB AGP
Acer 50X CD Rom
Beige Case with PSU
Windows Me

As for Windows 8.1, it doesn't freeze for me, but flash still has problem, but I got 2 systems running the same thing Win 8.1 Pro w/MCE. Netbook works fine, like preview post on Tom's forum works in IE and FF. For my desktop it only works in IE, but not FF. :\

Hopefully, your not running windows 8.1 with this same build... :na: 
Score
November 5, 2013 5:34:30 AM

I upgraded to Windows 8.1... The only issue i've had to date is i upgraded my discrete sound card and had some issues when cold booting the machine... Not sure what it was but after rebooting it and running the startup analyzer or something... something got jarred loose and so far i haven't had any problems since...

However, to the subject of this thread... I haven't had Windows 8.1 freeze on me, however i don't leave my machine running 24/7 either...
Score
November 5, 2013 7:39:18 AM

Windows 8 simply refused to work properly and stable on my i7 six core machine go figure. Windows 8.1 is fine however i am on Windows 7 cause UI sucks on Windows 8.x
Score
November 5, 2013 7:44:52 AM

Perils of the early adapters have always been present with Windows.
Score
November 5, 2013 9:15:26 AM

Everyone hated ME I thought it was great big jump over 98SE it was the precurser to XP felt allot like it.. Had its issues but i don't remember and more issues than any other OS Remember all the driver issues when moving up to Vista/Win7 that was prob the most issues I've ever had..
Score
November 5, 2013 11:33:30 AM

Your main mistake was Windows 8 then 8.1 but it might not be Windows. Back in my days of XP, I had machine I built that started doing that, out of the blue. It turned out the hard drive was going bad. It would stall or power off and disconnect from the computer. The computer still had the OS in memory and would continue to function until it required info from the hard drive. Eventually crashing with blue screen. A reboot would cycle the drive back up and everything was ok for a while but eventually it would do it again.
Score
November 5, 2013 11:51:13 AM

All these reports of 8.1 problems I don't get... it runs just fine for me LOL (I'm being serious)
Score
November 5, 2013 6:55:09 PM

I had issues with my radeon 7400m drivers when I updated to 8.1. it would occasionally freeze as mentioned, but once I got the driver problem straightened out after a couple hours looking for the proper drivers. after trying 6 or 7 different ones I got it to work and have had no freezing problems since.
The driver that worked for me was a driver for a 6000 series radeon mobile card.
Score
November 5, 2013 11:28:45 PM

Ran Windows 8 almost since launch. Never a problem. Upgraded to 8.1 and immediately had issues. Can I get my PCs ability to sleep back? None of the dozens of fixes listed around the web helped. I think the only true fix is to go back to 8.
Score
November 6, 2013 7:53:01 AM

Hi There

I am also getting freezes, but my sound still continues.

I suspect it is one of two things in my case - Either the latest NVIDIA Drivers screwing me over (Newly released ones) or my SSD.

Sounds like lots of SSD's are having problems with Windows 8.1

I think I am suffering from both - Never had any problems prior to 8.1 and had 8.0 since launch.

Hopefully they iron themselves out soon
Score
November 7, 2013 10:08:38 AM

Steam came to Linux, so hell froze over, which included Windows.
Score
November 15, 2013 1:28:34 PM

Hi
Since I have updated my laptop to win 8.1 I have some freezing issues. I searched in lot of forums.
I have found a solution that's working.
The problem seems coming from the shutdown function of Windows.
When I use the shutdown function from the menu, when I restart my computer, it's freezing.
If I shut down my laptop with the shudown line commande, when I start my computer there is no freezing.
The command I used is : Shutdown /s /t 0
It's working every time.
Score
November 20, 2013 10:18:23 PM

I have had this problem and more. Its strange really. It freezes randomly and even when you try to start it up it will freeze before you can even log in at times. Another very weird thing that is happening my computer randomly powers off all by itself like the cord was unplugged or the power went out. This is all after doing a fresh install on a formatted hard drive. I reinstalled windows 8 then update it after. The first time I thought it was something to do with my dvd. So I did it again from a usb flash drive but it did the same thing again. After the second time installing the update and it kept doing the same thing. I was trying to just format the hard drive again and reinstall windows 8 but now it wont boot from the dvd or usb drive no matter what I did. I even tried to uplug the hard drive so that it was just boot from dvd or usb but it wouldn't work. I fluked out and got the setup to start within windows 8.1. I actually had enough time to start the setup before it froze again. I tell you I have been working with windows for forever it seems and I love windows but this was weird to say the least. It was a huge headache and I am still running windows 8 instead I am scared to try the update again because I have so much audio software to install everytime.
Score
November 21, 2013 5:34:59 AM

A lot of "expert" advice from those who obviously know little about Windows.
To suggest checking PSU, memory or "shoddy drivers" is laughable.
In case some are slow readers, let me recap: Freezing issues after installing 8.1.

All my video drivers are up to date, may sata drivers up to date, ect.....never had a Win 8 crash period, until the day after installing the official Win8.1 upgrade.

In my case the freezes are about once a week and occur when playing video, be on up-to-date media Player, up-to-date VLC, or on YouTube (with up-to-date shockwave).

This is a WINDOWS BUG. A known, and growing WINDOWS BUG. Don't blame it on AMD , Nvidia or Flash.....these crashes did not start after installing THEIR drivers, it started after installing 8.1.
Score
November 21, 2013 4:06:36 PM

skullywag said:
A lot of "expert" advice from those who obviously know little about Windows.
To suggest checking PSU, memory or "shoddy drivers" is laughable.
In case some are slow readers, let me recap: Freezing issues after installing 8.1.

All my video drivers are up to date, may sata drivers up to date, ect.....never had a Win 8 crash period, until the day after installing the official Win8.1 upgrade.

In my case the freezes are about once a week and occur when playing video, be on up-to-date media Player, up-to-date VLC, or on YouTube (with up-to-date shockwave).

This is a WINDOWS BUG. A known, and growing WINDOWS BUG. Don't blame it on AMD , Nvidia or Flash.....these crashes did not start after installing THEIR drivers, it started after installing 8.1.

The issue started for me when I updated to 8.1 from 8. It has not happened again since I updated graphics drivers.
Score
November 27, 2013 10:35:40 AM

After my last freeze up I checked the event viewer. Here is the text from the warning I found: "LiveComm (3156) C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Local\Packages\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\LiveComm\bf405b16e12f1509\120712-0049\: A request to read from the file "C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Local\Packages\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\LiveComm\bf405b16e12f1509\120712-0049\DBStore\livecomm.edb" at offset 3211264 (0x0000000000310000) for 8192 (0x00002000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (41 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem."
Score
December 2, 2013 8:56:10 AM

there r lots of yellow and red error logs what should i do .....!!!
Score
December 9, 2013 4:43:34 AM

The Antivirus is the culprit in most cases. If you have AVG or Norton Antivirus, your windows 8.1 is likely to hang and freeze frequently. Therefore, instead trying third party, using the Windows Defender is a good solution.

If your issues are still not resolved, try going through this useful article:
http://www.registryrecycler.com/blog/2013/12/windows-8-... ..

Resetting the Power Settings solves it too !!
Score
January 2, 2014 10:05:59 AM

I get a pop up screen that informs me I can update my Windows and when I do, my PC fails start up; obviously because of the Microsoft update and now MicroSoft is blackmailing me $150 to fix the error in the software? Nice try
Score
January 7, 2014 5:58:52 AM

Please remove this "fix". Obviously, even Microsoft does not know their own operating system. there isn't a "Performance troubleshooter" in the options. doesn't anyone check the validity of these answers?
Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!