BlackBerry Replaces Thorsten Heins with New Interim CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Blackberry is going the way of Commodore did years ago. Great platform early on but never really pushed it hard enough to be accepted for wider audience. Now their OS and hardware are too late in the game.

They are better off just licensing the remaining patents and sell the assets. It's done.

Time for them to look for a new venture.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Since I live through the Commodore Amiga era (I still have my original hardware ) I know the signs of tech company death... but commodore was a very stupid company. It still took MS 15 years to have a consumer OS that is worth a damn after Amiga OS first came out (that would be XP) and even still some aspects of xp is still substandard to AmigaOS 2.0 (1990).

RIM should have known better. 3 year to get QNX running on a phone was stupid. They would be in much better position today if they simply went Android and tweaked it for businesses and their own style. BB functions with android? That would have SOLD.

BB has one hailmary left to save their ass. Its embarrassing, but turn around would be months.

Make android phones. Don't change the hardware. Simple. Skin android to look like BB10. Put it out there and hope its enough. Otherwise, they might as well close shop now.

Commodores death was almost a surprise. They didn't know how to function like a modern computer company or market their advantage over PC or mac, nor did they do important businesses features that Amiga needed... but wasted time and money on stupid PC emulation (Amiga desktops had PC only slots, along side their own PNP slots since 1986). Not even 1% Amiga owners ever made use of this stupid hardware feature...

Stupid people kill tech companies.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
We need another OS or two in the market. Android is owning 80%, with iOS far behind with about 13%... It's too bad that likely won't happen, we'll continue to be pushed towards one OS to rule them all.

vern72

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2012

Ever heard of Tizen?

Status
Not open for further replies.