First homebuilt PC recommendation and review

mmmitsmikey

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Dear Tom's Hardware folk,

I am building my first computer and after much research came up with a tentative list of parts and was hoping I may get the community at large to review them! A friend of mine who recently built his PC suggested I post my specs on here since this community will most likely give me better feedback.

My goals for this computer are as follows : Gaming, web browsing, research, word processing, intermediate image processing.

Research is for university chemistry and requires intense CPU/GPU operations.

I have a soft cap budget at 1500$, I can be convinced to go to 1650$ at most if you convince me haha

To start out I should list what I don't need since I already have these covered...

-Don't need a monitor
-Don't need a keyboard and mouse
-Don't need an OS (yet)

And here are the parts I have in mind...

Component Part Name

Processor i5-4670K

Motherboard MSI-Z87-GD65

Graphics Card EVGA GTX 770 2GB

Hard Drive Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 3.5" Desktop Solid State Hybrid Drive

Memory G.Skills Ripjaw X series (Blue), F3-12800CL7D-8GBXM

Power Supply XFX P1-850X-XXB9 850W Bronze

CD-Drive Asus Black E818AAT OEM

Case Cooler Master HAF-932

Wireless Adapter Rosewill N900PCE Wireless N Dual Band Adapter

Keyboard and mouse Logitech MK550 Black USB RF Wireless Ergonomic Wave Combo

I was planning on buying all these parts from newegg (with the exception of the processor) and the total comes to 1461.51$ after tax.

I believe that is it..if anyone has any suggestions for the build or alternative parts or just general feedback I would be very grateful.

Thank you

If you're running one card, 850W is quite a bit of power (though I am a bit hypocritical with my Antec 900W, it was on sale)

I'd really recommend a solid state for your computer as well over a hybrid drive. Go for a 120GB or 240GB solid state with a standard hard drive for storage.

mmmitsmikey

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Thank you everyone for your feedback, I have followed your suggestions and updated my power supply ( thanks centrifugalblunderbuss!) and have swapped storage options for a samsung 840 evo ssd and 2tb hd (thanks Deemo13!) along with a few other changes as new deals presented themselves.

Thank you for all your help!