How much cooling will I need for my build? (do I have enough fans)

Do I have enough cooling?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Depends on how much/long you game.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iColm

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
I'm currently building a computer and I was wondering how much cooling i'll need. I intend to OC my CPU. (I already plan on getting an after market CPU cooler) I know that gaming puts a bit of pressure on computers, and since mine is a cheapish build I know it will get quite warm in the case.
I'll be getting a Zalman Z11, which comes with 5 case fans, 3 x 120mm and 2x 80mm. http://www.dabs.ie/products/zalman-z11-plus-high-performance-mid-tower-case-82RX.html

I also intend to get an extra case fan. (120mm) http://www.dabs.ie/products/coolermaster-sickleflow-120-blue-led-fan---120mm--2000rpm-8K3D.html

Here is my GPU incase it's needed. http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-amd-radeon-7790-2gb-pci-express-hdmi-directcu-ii-oc-8PRY.html

If you need any more information let me know in the thread, Thanks for your time, Colm.

SirFerret

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
With 5 fans you should be MORE than fine with airflow. Always remember, it is the placement of fans, not the quantity, that matters. 3 well placed fans can run circles around 5 misplaced fans. Also don't forget that heat rises, so any exhaust should be higher than any intake. The goal is to keep a constant flow of air moving through the case. I would suggest a front intake, a rear exaust, and a side intake. The side intake really helps to cool the GPU, the chipset, and can even help the CPU cooler.

Here is a great article that clearly explains the science behind air cooling:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-heatsink,3053.html

iColm

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

Thanks so much :) With the Zalman there are 4 out-take and 1 intake, that's why I opted for the extra fan, I was going to put it at the bottom. The Zalman Z11 has unique fan positioning, it has two out-takes at the sides to help cool the HDD. Do you think I should change them or keep them as it is?

SirFerret

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

I would not recommend putting a fan on the bottom. It doesn't do much for cooling your system, all it does is suck tons of dust into your system from the floor. After looking at you case, it looks like it comes assembled the way you want to keep it for maximum airflow. It has one front intake, one rear exhaust, and a top exhaust. It also looks like it comes with 2 80mm fans for what I am assuming is for HDDs.

iColm

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

That is correct, should I turn the two side fans around and use them for intake? Because I presume 1 intake cannot be enough..? or could you recommend the positioning of my fans please :)

SirFerret

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

I am assuming the two smaller fans are in the front? If so I would make them intakes. Not only will it cool your HDD, but it should even out the airflow. 1 120mm + 2 80mm intake is roughly equal to the 2 120mm exhaust fans to keep a minimal pressure difference in your case.

iColm

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

Ok thanks :) the side fans have no filters though :/ should I buy two extra 80mm dust filters?

SirFerret

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

That would be up to you and the environment your computer is in. I don't run dust filters because I clean my PC regularly, as to not let things build up.

iColm

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

Ok thanks :) I'll probably clean mine out a lot :) thanks for all your help :D

tougas

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Just remember heat rises so use that to your advantage. In my build I have a NZXT switch 810. for intake I have 2 120's in front, 1 140" on the bottom. for exhaust I have 1 140 on the back and 3 140's on the top. My cpu still has a stock intel cooler on it and it doesn't get over 20*C above ambient unless its really warm out and just last night I didn't even hit 50*C while gaming on extreme in TW: Rome 2. It is probably good to mention that I also have a bottom mounted psu that exhausts straight out the back and bottom of the case so the psu isnt adding much to the heat. I also have a 120 fan behind my hdd's just to move air within the case as an assist fan.

iColm

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

Thanks for the advise, nice build BTW :D Do you think the 5 fans will be enough? Front 120mm intake, two 80mm intakes on the side, out-take on the top and back, both 120mm. I'm not sure about my PSU, it's a Corsair 500 watt builder series. I have an old 80mm fan at my house, should I put that in the case somewhere or is there any point?

tougas

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

you should be fine without the extra 80mm fan. If the fan isnt anchored somehow it will just vibrate and make noise. also look into rubber fan mounts. They are cheap and easy to use and they reduce almost all vibration noise from fans.

iColm

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

Ok, thanks for your help :) It's hard trying to plan everything correctly on your first build.. :/

tougas

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

I know it can be. there are plenty of people here to help