60hz IPS vs 144hz TN Gaming Monitor

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
I am a casual gamer i play BF4 mainly, like FPS games. I'm running a A10-5800k OCed to 4.4ghz and a 7870 Oced to 7950 performance, i can barely run maxed on BF4 maybe 48fps average but i think once i go 1080p i can take off some AA and it will give me more FPS im only a average gamer. I have a Proview 17" 1280 x 1024 16ms. So i am open and anything will be new to me. I just want to know which would be better in my situation.

I know IPS looks great which i really like, the low ms response time, i heard it does matter if its 1ms vs 5ms you cant notice it and i know i will notice a difference being im at 16ms now. I know its future proof, Im looking to keep the monitor for 5+ years.Being 60hz i think looks smooth if i can find a game that i can get constant 60 which in bf3 i can.

I like TN because its cheaper and if its right ms time doesnt matter in FPS games but i do like the 144hz i heard anything over 60hz even 61hz looks better and i heard at 60fps looks better even on a 144hz monitor. So thats my case i need to choose one before Black Friday. BTW viewing angles do not matter.

Here is the IPS monitor i want
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236310

Here is the TN panel i want
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

Thanks for anybody who can help

Solution
I have the Asus monitor, here are some things I can tell you.

Color wise, this monitor is pretty poor, you can see some blacks dither and the overall color quality is weak.

Motion wise, this is just as good as my old Sony CRT, if you play fast paced games this thing is flawless, and you will greatly appreciate being able to see moving objects clearly. If you get this monitor, I would HIGHLY recommend using Lightboost 2d (which you can get to work with AMD cards), it absolutely eliminates any motion blur you would have left over. It also will prevent most tearing, which is amazing.

The Asus also has a godlike stand with it, very adjustable and sturdy.

My conclusion: No point in buying a monitor for gaming if you can't see anything...
Ignore response time as a way of determining input lag, its pixel response time as opposed to how much lag there is between the card outputting a frame and it appearing on screen, it can only be used to judge how much blur there will be with motion. IPS will obviously have colours a billion times better than the crap you'll get from a TN display, but the effect a higher refresh rate has on responsiveness and vertical tearing is hard to turn down. You simply have to ask yourself if you want better colours, and either deal with the lag of vsync or horrible vertical tearing, or you want crap colours but little/no vertical tearing and a faster display.

If you are wanting it to last 5 years, 1080p is going to be extremely primitive at that point. You may want to consider spending a bit more and going with an imported Qnix display, $300, 1440p, PLS and can be overclocked to 96Hz, pretty much everything you'd want.

koreanoverlord

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
I have the Asus monitor, here are some things I can tell you.

Color wise, this monitor is pretty poor, you can see some blacks dither and the overall color quality is weak.

Motion wise, this is just as good as my old Sony CRT, if you play fast paced games this thing is flawless, and you will greatly appreciate being able to see moving objects clearly. If you get this monitor, I would HIGHLY recommend using Lightboost 2d (which you can get to work with AMD cards), it absolutely eliminates any motion blur you would have left over. It also will prevent most tearing, which is amazing.

The Asus also has a godlike stand with it, very adjustable and sturdy.

My conclusion: No point in buying a monitor for gaming if you can't see anything while the environment is in motion. Looking at standard 60Hz monitors now is a pain.

As for the resolution, 1080P is well enough for me... I like my games running fluid at 120fps.

Solution

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

both are asus are you talking about the TN?

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

Thank you for your reply, okay so maybe not 5 years but around 3 years because those monitors are WAY expensive. and the decision is soo hard to make, well couldnt i just get the IPS turn V sync off, because like i said i play bf4 mainly and when i play only in certain parts of the map do i get 60fps so i turned v sync off on this monitor and i didnt find any tearing, but which do you think is better?

koreanoverlord

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

Sorry about that, yeah I am talking about the TN panel.

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

You also have a 290x, i only have a 7870 and sometimes i cant even get constant fps, so would it be pointless to get a 144hz if its a 50/50 in places i get 60

koreanoverlord

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

Even at 60fps, you would still get a lot of benefit.

You will have absolutely no tearing, and you could run lightboost at 60Hz. You also do not need 120fps to receive a benefit from 120hz.

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

Oh yeah but even 61fps i heard makes a difference but if i hardley ever even hit 60fps how would i benefit from the 60fps< .Also i can turn v sync off now and i dont get tearing,

TommyTanker

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

MrAcd,

What did you go with in the end? I am looking at the exact same monitors as you. I have been reading all the rants and raves of TN vs IPS. I am sliding towards the IPS for more 'eye candy' in game play. Unfortunately I like both landscaped beauty games - Skyrim (IPS) and BF3 (TN) so its a tough one.

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

Haha a lot of people had this question just nobody posted it, I did end up going with the IPS though it just shipped today I hope it looks amazing that all the things I hear it is suppose to, I say IPS TN is old tech, and I'm hoping to overclock the IPS to 75hz like I got my 2004 monitor but I play at 75hz and I see a difference yes but no where near enough to buy TN I figured I want it to look better than it to be fast but 60hz still looks stunning so I went IPS dude Skyrim is going to look fantastic and so will bf4, go IPS dude :D

TommyTanker

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

Right. That settles it then.
I am going to go for ASUS MX239H Silver (IPS) monitor.

It looks stunning too. Get my new rig in 2 weeks and will be ordering that monitor. How can you overclock it? Is it easy to do?
cheers

MrAcd

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

Quite simple actually either, your monitor my support 75 right click desktop > screen resolution > advanced settings > hit the monitor tab and hit the refresh rate and hit 75hz, hit apply and if it is stable and no blurry images or anything then there you go, if the 75hz option isn't available then you got to download a program and stuff, but yeah, I actually got the ending up getting the VN248H-P it was on sale for like 139 and barely if ANY noticeable differences, but If that wasn't on sale I would I bought the MX239-H but don't buy anything yet wait till Black Friday or so, hoped it help