Looking to upgrade current gaming PC, need advice!

karbn

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
Hi!

I built a gaming PC in late 2010, and I'm just wondering what sort of upgrade to the current rig would be the most beneficial to continue playing games on super high settings. For reference, I play mainly action games, so y'know - Arkham Origins, Assassins Creed, etc.

I was thinking a Graphics card would be the obvious choice, and I was tossing up between an R9 280x or a GTX 770. Would those be appropriate for my current system? I'd be upgrading other parts over the next year also, potentially including mobo/cpu. Really, I have no idea if that's necessary though.

Here's my current rig:

AMD Phenom II X4 955
4GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Radeon 6850
Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H mobo
700W psu

Thanks!

Your cpu would bottleneck, how much are you willing to spend? The 7950, or 760 would be better. That is only if you OC that cpu heavily. My 965 @4.11 barely clears it. Another stick of ram would be a good choice as well. There is always an ssd too.

karbn

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
Thanks for the responses!

I'm in Australia, so I guess the USD equivalent would be $350 or so. The GTX 770 would be the upper limit of what I'm prepared to spend.

I guess to clarify, I'm not super concerned with bottlenecking, I'd just like a distinct boost to graphical performance with my current rig, before I upgrade the mobo/cpu/ram later this year/early next year.

So I'm after a card that will give me better performance right now, and will still hold up for a few years down the track in a new system that would be able to utilise its full potential. Does that make sense?