Upgrading GPU to gtx 780ti

Should I wait to purchase one or go for it now?

• Wait to see if better models with more vram are released

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • There's no need to wait, purchase it now

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Jystik

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Hello,

With the recently announced gtx 780ti, I was looking to upgrade my current graphics card in order to future proof my gaming system for the new consoles. However, it seems like all the current models only have 3gb of vram. While I know this is plenty for now, I am slightly worried that it will not be enough for the future since I tend to do a lot of modding which requires a lot of things to be shown at once. So, I would like to know your guys opinions. Should I go ahead now and purchase one, or should I wait a few months and see if new models get released that feature more vram.

Current Rig:
EVGA gtx 680 ftw+ 4gb
i5 3570k
asrock z77 extreme4
8gb g.skill ram
haf x case
western digital velociraptor 1tb

I am in no rush to purchase this gpu right now. My only concern is that my current GPU's value is going to go down with all the new hardware being released and I am planning on selling it.
Thanks

Oct 22, 2012
The R9 290 might be the best option for you. It has 4GB of Vram and a large 500 bit memory bus. The 680 and 780ti has a 380bit memory bus. So if modding is your thing and more grunt than a 680, then the R9 might be the way to go, especially how its great value at the moment. We are also increasingly moving towards larger Resolutions where the R9 will shine.

I would also wait for non reference model R9's if thats the case.

Oct 22, 2012

But its still only using a 380bit memory bus compared to the R9 290 500 bit memory bus. They don't differ too much in performance either, and nvidia always overprice their cards.

At higher resolution I still believe the R9 290x with a non reference cooler will be a nice spot to be in.

Oct 22, 2012

Most models are going to be with 3GB, and even if they eventually release a 780ti with 6GB Vram it will still use a 380 bit memory bus and be extortionately overpriced.

If you want to future proof then a card with 500 bit memory bus and 4GB of Vram shouldn't be a problem.

Oct 22, 2012

On games, its not that much better. on average its a few frames faster and it will be vastly more expensive. On top of this by having on average a few frames less, you get the 500 bit memory bus and 4GB of vram as an advantage for future Vram hungry titles. It will also be cheaper.

@ Jystik: Sit back, look at the system performance, and ask yourself if an upgrade is NEEDED. The GTX680 is still one of the top performing cards out there and you'll be paying upwards of $450 for an upgrade you may not need (I'm assuming $200 for the old card BTW).
Can't see 3Gb getting old anytime soon, even across 3 screens BF4 stays below 3Gb VRAM usage so I wouldn't worry on that account.
If you decide to upgrade: Wait, the R9 290/780Ti are pretty new and still attracting the inevitable price premium of new hardware so give AMD and Nvidia a little time to beat each other up over pricing before making a decision.