Monitor slow to wake from sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

byronhawkins

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
One of my monitors is very slow to wake from sleep. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes for the display to realize that the computer has woken up and is sending a signal. I have a second monitor attached to the same graphics card, and it has no problems. So it seems like there must be a mistake in the monitor's signal sensor, like somehow it expects more of a signal than it is getting. But the image is fine after it wakes up, so nothing is actually wrong with the signal.

Can anyone give me a suggestion for how to adjust the monitor so that it is more sensitive to the signal in sleep mode? Thanks for your help.

Solution
If it's an older LCD with the CCFL backlighting, that is most likely failing. Happens am my workplace all the time. If you shine a flashlight on it, you may be able to see the image on it to try and confirm that the monitor's working, just not the backlight.

byronhawkins

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013

No, it is still blank after cycling the main power. I also tried unplugging and replugging the DVI cable, but that did not help either.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
If it's an older LCD with the CCFL backlighting, that is most likely failing. Happens am my workplace all the time. If you shine a flashlight on it, you may be able to see the image on it to try and confirm that the monitor's working, just not the backlight.

Solution

byronhawkins

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013

This is incorrect, there is nothing wrong with the backlight. I tried shining a flashlight on it, and the screen is 100% blank. When the image appears, the backlight comes on immediately. So the backlight is not any part of the problem.

metalfan49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2013

Did you ever find the issue? My Dell is taking a long time now, its power LED stays amber even while computer is on. I can key in my login before screen wakes up and the PC will be happily at the desktop when LED finally turns blue and the screen comes on. I believe the screen is a U2211H.

Here_to_lern

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Another possibility is the monitor's power supply. My monitor's power light would blink as if asleep, and worked perfectly when it did awaken. Two bad caps replaced and the problem went away.

byronhawkins

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
The monitor finally started showing a scrambled screen and would not work at all, so I just replaced it. Not much of a loss, really, since I used it for 5 years, and the current monitors are bigger and better for the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.