Sign in with
Your question

What is the best gaming keyboard without a hefty price tag?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 9, 2013 9:33:06 AM

I'm looking to get a new keyboard for PC gaming (mainly FPS games), and I am struggling to make a choice. I currently own a Microsoft Sidewinder X4 which has served me greatly and only cost £35 back when I bought it last year. However, lately the keys have been starting to get a bit stiff and sticky, in particular the shift key from constantly holding it down to sprint in-game. I am looking for a different brand of keyboard this time, something which could be considered a bit more 'professional'. My maximum budget is about £70, so what should I get? I'm no expert with keyboard types and all the various key types (i.e. red, blue, brown keys)...

Thanks
November 11, 2013 5:33:33 AM

If you like chicklet keys (Low key caps), I recommend the Razer deathstalker. It is what I have and I'm happy with it.

I also recommend the Logitech g15, but it maxes your budget out.
November 11, 2013 6:24:47 AM

Don't get another rubber dome gaming keyboard. The difference between a keyboard that comes free with an HP computer and a gaming one is lots of money, lights and macros keys. Mechanical is the only way to go if you are spending much money. Idk how much it is over there but the Logitech G710+ is amazing. If I were you I would go to a store and check out the keyboard switch types so you can know which one you like best since there is no best switch for every person. IMO brown is the best as it has the best balance (again in my opinion) between feedback and sound level. From my experience I haven't really seen a bad mechanical keyboard that should be avoided like the plague so look around and see which one you like best then run it by Tom's just to double check
Related resources
November 14, 2013 2:26:49 PM

thdarkshadow said:
Don't get another rubber dome gaming keyboard. The difference between a keyboard that comes free with an HP computer and a gaming one is lots of money, lights and macros keys. Mechanical is the only way to go if you are spending much money. Idk how much it is over there but the Logitech G710+ is amazing. If I were you I would go to a store and check out the keyboard switch types so you can know which one you like best since there is no best switch for every person. IMO brown is the best as it has the best balance (again in my opinion) between feedback and sound level. From my experience I haven't really seen a bad mechanical keyboard that should be avoided like the plague so look around and see which one you like best then run it by Tom's just to double check

I've actually decided to get a Cooler Master Quickfire TK Mechanical keyboard, which uses Cherry MX Brown keys. There aren't any stores here in the UK which are advanced enough to even sell mechanical keyboards, so I can't try the keys out myself. However, after watching some sound test videos and reading up on forums the brown switches do seem to a fit a nice balance, as I do both gaming and casual typing. Thanks for your advice.
November 14, 2013 3:16:39 PM

cherry browns arent a bad choice at all.

just dont listen to all the nay-sayers who badmouth rubber dome keyboards. while i'm most certainly with them when they say mechanicals are better, there are some very nice rubber dome keyboards on the market as well. cheaper too.
November 14, 2013 4:12:42 PM

xtobymc said:
thdarkshadow said:

I've actually decided to get a Cooler Master Quickfire TK Mechanical keyboard, which uses Cherry MX Brown keys. There aren't any stores here in the UK which are advanced enough to even sell mechanical keyboards, so I can't try the keys out myself. However, after watching some sound test videos and reading up on forums the brown switches do seem to a fit a nice balance, as I do both gaming and casual typing. Thanks for your advice.

I have this keyboard. Keep an eye out on slickdeals. I picked mine up for $45 shipped.
!