Overclock Adaptive Mode Problem

zaidjawed88

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Hi guys,
I've been reviewing these forum posts extensively as I recently began overclocking my new I7-4770k chip. I've been fairly successful, however, I have been having problems with manual mode vs adaptive mode turbo voltages in the UEFI menu ( I am using an ASUS Z87 Pro Motherboard).

Currently, I am at 4.7 GHz stable at 1.37 volts in manual mode. I have tested this with AIDA 64 running for approximately 2.5 hours. Temperatures generally average at approximately 75-78 C (peak temperatures at 85-87 C b/w the 4 cores) with cooling provided by the Cooler Master EISBERG 240L Prestige cooler. Of course, I do not run AIDA 64 with AVX instructions included, i.e- "Stress FPU test" in AIDA 64 is switched off. When I do have the "Stress FPU" box checked and the other test boxes unchecked, temperatures skyrocket and throttling begins in a few seconds. So I stick to testing without FPU calculations.

But here lies my problem. When i switch to adaptive mode and type in 1.37 volts (the same voltage where i had stability in manual mode) in the "Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage" and 0.001 volts for "CPU Core Voltage Offset", on running AIDA 64, I can see my core voltages rise up all the way to approximately 1.49 volts. As a result of this higher voltage, my temperatures rise up to the point where stability cannot be maintained. I also tried leaving the "CPU Core Voltage Offset" to Auto but I have the same results. It seems as though this extra voltage is coming from somewhere but I cannot decipher from where. Any Ideas?

Also, what do you guys think of the voltages I'm dealing with? Does 1.37 volts @4.7 Ghz stable sound too high? I know most people can hit 4.8 mhz at 1.35 V but clearly I cant. I can push for 4.8 Ghz, however, I foresee a minimum core voltage of at least 1.4 volts. I understand each chip is different but it seems as though I'm dealing with one that's below average.

Lastly, does anyone recommend adjusting the values of CPU Cache voltage or any other voltages in order to make this work?

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help I can get.

You are playing with fire! 1.37 v. is too much! A safe maximum is 1.300 v.

As far as your voltage spikes, that is prolly due to "Intel Speed Step" (in the BIOS settings).

Additional settings:
Cache ratio = 35
Cache voltage = 1.200v., Override Mode
Vccin (CPU Input Voltage)= 1.900v.
If memory is rated at 1.500v., increase to 1.600 to 1.650v.

Good luck!

Yogi

zaidjawed88

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

Hi Yogi,
Thanks for the reply. I just had a chance to read your message right now. I hope I haven't damaged the CPU with these high voltages in the time that I've been testing. Last night I moved down to 4.6 Ghz with 1.33 volts and there seems to be stability there. If i go any lower with voltage, my system is not stable (without lowering the multiplier of course). I take it, from what you state, that 1.3 volts should be the safe maximum and whatever highest frequency I can obtain with that, I should not push it any further. Am I correct?

Also, what exactly does upping the Vccin (CPU voltage) do in regards to overclocking? Does it help make the system achieve stability?

Lastly, the memory I am using is the 2X8 GB Corsair Vengeance (1600 Mhz DDR3 ) RAM. Yogi, I assume you mean those voltages would work with the RAM that i have?

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll be sure to lower those core voltages.

That is correct.

Yes, it helps achieve stability.

I don't know the rated voltage for your RAM. Typically, RAM is rated at a range of values, say 1.500v. to 1.650v. I'm saying to use the higher number for more stable OC.

Yogi