Typhoon Yolanda in the Philippines

Status
Not open for further replies.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
We should thinking about those less unfortunate than us as what just happened in the Philippines.Thousands of lives are lost forever on account of this horrific storm Yolanda which pummeled that country recently.Let us remember the victims and families lost in this devastation of this storm.

Solution
marv you ok over there?

Jeez what a storm ... 147 mph winds avareage peaking at 195 mph (315kph).

So many people living along the coast too ... copped the huge storm surge.

http://www.rappler.com/science-nature/43457-storm-chaser-philippines-typhoon-off-scale

Good news here is the aussie govt is going to send $10M in relief instead of the $400k they had planned ... so I think that is a good start.

Relief agencies are now in full swing so providing the Philippino military help out it should get better quickly.

The US ships in the region are moving in to help fly people in and out.

Have not heard if the Chinese plan to help ... or Indonesia / Vietnam.

Viber is letting locals call their families overseas for free ... which is great.

I have some friends who are worried here about family there..

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I live in Cebu and thankfully we were not in the direct path of this storm. No one was hurt here where I live and no significant damage happened either.Thank GOD for the Australian Government and other countries providing goods and financial help to the other victims who need it the most here.

riser

Illustrious
They're saying it was the largest storm ever recorded.

Hey America, good thing we didn't cut the military because it does have uses outside of war. Marines generally are the first to go in since they're quick response.

I was reading an article today about how they're just lining up the bodies in the road. Most drown apparently?

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
That is correct most of the dead did drown by this typhoon.The military should never be cut period.

Though I note that the Chinese news sites are reporting on the damage in the Philippines there is no mention of ANY aid coming FROM China.

Why would the nearest neighbours with the best logistics support NOT offer to help out with the relief efforts.

This is another damning indictment on the Chinese ... care factor zero from them.

Solution
I am sure up until only recently both the US, UK, Canada and Australia were all still giving aid to china.

I frickin hope that still isn't going on now.

They have a heap of ships within 100 nm of the Philippines ... no reason why they couldn't pop over and help.

You know, there's politics ... and there is simply human decency ... not hard to sort out which is whcih.

Remember two years ago when that US warship rescued the sinking Iranian fishing boat and took them back to Iran?

riser

Illustrious
China has given $200,000.

Given that in a country where a vast majority of people live in very bad conditions, I can understand the viewpoint of not providing aid when they're really in better shape. They potentially risk another population riot if they're handing out money to other countries while their own suffer.

Given that in the other countries that provided money and relief, our "poor" live better than most in the world anyhow.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Power is everything I know this and also money is power also.Unfortunately this is true.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Let me tell you the truth there were billions of dollars sent here and they cannot seem to locate a lot of the money. 32 countries were involved in this effort.Nothing has been done regarding rebuilding there in Tacloban at all. This sickens me immensely! Aquino stinks as the president here in my opinion.No leadership qualities at all.Corruption everywhere.Don't blame China blame this country and their corrupt politicians here.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
It depends where you live. Stay away from Mindanao and go to Cebu where it is mote peaceful and a lot of foreigners live there.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Did you decide yet about the Philippines?

Status
Not open for further replies.