Wait for G-Sync enabled monitor?

grom358

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Looking up upgrading my monitor and wondering if I should get a 144Hz monitor or wait for the G-Sync enabled monitors?

What differences will a G-Sync monitor make compared to a 144Hz monitor with v-sync enabled? The example for G-Sync shows how with V-Sync if the draw render is longer then the Hz of the monitor it has to wait for the next sync. But with 144Hz monitor there is a sync every 7ms, so how noticeable is the judder on a 144Hz monitor?

Also in regards to input lag.. won't G-Sync mean inconsistent input lag as the monitor will now have a dynamic refresh rate. so you will get a variable response from when you input to when you see the result?

Using Vsync on a 144Hz monitor kind of defeats the point of having one, and you are going to need one hell of a setup to maintain 144FPS with Vsync on in any recent games, since with Vsync anything under the native refresh takes an instant nose dive in framerate, plus stutter.

The point of Gsync is it is meant to make it look like vsync is on and working, but it will work at any framerate, have no performance impact and no lag. Gsync means less input lag as the card generates the frame and the monitor displays it immediately after it is sent to it, where-as before, the card generates the frame, sends it to the monitor, and you have to wait for a refresh before it is displayed, though with a 144Hz monitor, its so fast its not going to matter in terms of lag.

Personally, I'd wait.

grom358

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
how is 144Hz with vsync pointless? its capable of 144FPS, 72FPS, 48FPS, 36FPS, 28.8FPS etc. So for games that run between 48-59FPS will give output of 48FPS instead of the 30FPS would get with 60Hz monitor.

Vsync aims to eliminate vertical tearing, which it does. At 144Hz, you aren't going to get noticeable vertical tearing, because the refreshes are fast enough to near enough get full frames.

Also I don't get your point with framerate. Whenever you have vsync on, and you aren't at a framerate equal to your refresh rate, you are going to get either framerate dips, stutter, or both, its unavoidable even with triple buffering.

fps doesnt have to be equal to your refresh rate, so long as it is evenly divisible by it. for example, 60 hz vsync locks into 60fps, 30fps, 15fps etc to keep frames synced.the monitor displays one frame per refresh at 60fps, 2 refresh cycles per frame at 30fps, 4 at 15fps etc. Since lcd's dont need high refresh rates like the old crt's to give a stable image, gsync is possible, so you get the full range of fps synchronizing as the refresh cycle changes to match the fps.