Sign in with
Your question

Better choice, Two GTX 770's, or 1 780ti?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 10, 2013 10:10:21 PM

I would like to know which one would be better in terms of performance? A GTX 780ti 3gb (roughly $700, ~$775 superclocked edition), or 2 Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 4GB OC Editions running in SLi ($400 each, totaling in at $800, I could also just get 1 card now and get the second one down the line when I add extra monitors). Which choice is better suited for gaming? Keep in mind that I plan on adding multiple monitors down the line, so the extra VRAM from the 770's would help in that department. The prices are essentially the same, so that's not an issue, I just want to know in terms of raw performance, which choice would be the stronger one?

More about : choice gtx 770 780ti

November 10, 2013 10:16:32 PM

The SLI 770s will run faster than a single 780ti, but will also generate substantially more heat, take more power, and SLI has loads of issues with it that make owning a single card powerful card better than two not as powerful ones.

2Gb RAM tends to be more than enough for 1080p, 3gb is more than enough for 1440p and even 4k.

I would personally suggest getting a single 780ti, but if you want raw frames and don't care about the other problems, the two 770s will be substantially faster.
November 10, 2013 10:35:03 PM

SLI does not have loads of issues , I've had 3 SLI set ups and never had an issue running them even in Quad SLI.
The 770 SLI option would be better than the 780ti , it will be much faster and you wouldn't have to upgrade anytime soon. It will play anything you throw at it.
Related resources
November 10, 2013 10:47:08 PM

Applepienation said:
The SLI 770s will run faster than a single 780ti, but will also generate substantially more heat, take more power, and SLI has loads of issues with it that make owning a single card powerful card better than two not as powerful ones.

2Gb RAM tends to be more than enough for 1080p, 3gb is more than enough for 1440p and even 4k.

I would personally suggest getting a single 780ti, but if you want raw frames and don't care about the other problems, the two 770s will be substantially faster.

My case has 9 fans total and windforce cards have 3 fans mounted with a special cooling method so I highly doubt heat will be an issue, and I have a 1200W PSU so power consumption won't be an issue either (I settled on a large PSU because I planned on running SLi at some point in the future, and figured I'd future proof my setup now instead of having to do everything over a few years from now). As for SLi, I have a some experience with 2-way SLi from helping friends set up their machines, so for the price/performance factor I guess I'll go with the 2 770's, and at the same time I'll be able to further my experience working with SLi. Thank for the info though, it's appreciated!
November 10, 2013 10:48:18 PM

monsta said:
SLI does not have loads of issues , I've had 3 SLI set ups and never had an issue running them even in Quad SLI.
The 770 SLI option would be better than the 780ti , it will be much faster and you wouldn't have to upgrade anytime soon. It will play anything you throw at it.

Alright, thanks, that's what I wanted to know, I have to further my experience working with SLi at one point anyways, so it might as well be now!
November 10, 2013 10:52:26 PM

Go for it man , 2 770 in SLI is cheaper and faster than a 780ti, you won't regret it
!