I need help! Monitor, PSU, motherboard, something else?

Drummermean

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
Hey all.

I've had a real problem with my computer since I've tried to run it. Everything works fine, however, some component does not seem to be. I'll walk you through what's happened:

My build is below:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_RD 68.5 CFM
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card: MSI 2GB GTX 770
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Operating Sys: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)
Monitor: HP Pavilion w2228h

I have checked both a Radeon 7970 and a GTX 770, but neither work. When using the R7970, I'd be able to load a game, but then it'd crash in a few minutes. 'No signal input' was displayed.

The performance was good whilst it lasted. I sent the R7970 back as I thought it was the graphics card which was causing the problem.
I thought this because I installed a Geforce GT440 and everything worked amazingly fine.

So, I received my GTX 770 today, and when I connected via HDMI (after the appropriate drivers had been installed, HDMI both to motherboard and GPU separately), I loaded it up, but it crashed and 'No signal input' was displayed once more. I now have my GT440 back in again and it's working fine.

From this, I'm assuming it isn't the graphics card that is causing the problem.

There is no motherboard LED error code. Drivers are up to date. The HMDI cable works. Everything is connected.

Does anybody have any suggestions about what is going wrong here?

I think its one of the following -
/Overheating of GPU. Sometimes GPU gets overheated resulting in issues. High load causes it mostly. Did you overclock the GPUs , If yes , read below. Or reduce fan speeds ? You can verify this by checking whether PC shut downs after turning a game on. If anything overheats , it just abruptly shut downs. Note that the CPU , RAM , Motherboard or HDD can also overheat causing issues.
/Incompatible output settings. The GPU might be outputting in settings ( resolution , refresh rate , etc ) which are incompatible with the monitor. This is a pretty rare case , but can happen. Afterall GT 440 isn't going to output in same resolutions on same settings as the GTX 770. Did you just tweak settings up to a high level ?
/Wrong or bad GPU driver. This is possible. A bad driver can cause issues too like crashes , etc.
/Overclocking. Did you or a software overclock the GPU , CPU or RAM ? Wrong settings can cause a sudden shut down or BSOD. Mostly its a BSOD. Can be a shut down too. Again , verification is possible by checking if game shuts down.

Drummermean

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013

Hey, thanks for the response!
It's not the GPU overheating. The monitor doesn't even receive signal any more. As in, it doesn't even receive signal from the GTX770 at all. So, I can't access games.

Nothing has been tweaked.

Drivers were fine.

No overclocking.

'No signal input is displayed' when I try and connect it now.

Drummermean

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013

I'm using the exact same set up for both cards. The HMDI cable works, I've tried two, swapped them etc.

Thanks for the reply!

Drummermean

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
After looking around at similar threads, I believe it may be the power supply.
Although the power supply is rated 750W which is more than I need, random shut downs seem to be due to the PSU.

Now I need to find some software to test this...

If you think that the PSU fails on getting full load , it can be because ( If provide you PSU's series name , I could help you more. ) -
/Hybrid Function. High End PSU Series have a Hybrid Fan Control or Smart Fan Control or something like that which doesn't let the PSUs fan spin till it reaches a particular load ( mostly in the 30-50% range ). Or some drop down speeds. But if the Controller detecting loads or adjusting fan is defective , it wont work. This is sort of possible as the GT 440 isn't as power consuming as the other GPUs. This helps the enthusiasts who simply cry for noise less systems , trading in the PSU units life for it. Lower End series dont have this feature as the controller is tad bit expensive and it will cost comapnies a lot. Best way to solve this is to temporarily disable this feature. Most PSUs ( like the SeaSonic X ) have a fan control button on them which let you adjust while some work via software ( Corsair AXi ) Else you can RMA.
If indeed you have a higher end unit with fan control , what happening is the switch is set on Hybrid ,etc. But due to bad controller , fan isn't spinning up even though load level being crossed ( while your gaming ). The heat inside the unit goes up , and crosses a limit soon and just shut downs.
/Bad or improper fan. Equally dangerous is a bad fan which wont spin , or a fan which isn't spinning upto the mark for some reason. All you can do is either RMA or change the fan ( and thus void your warranty ) yourself.

Also did you connect the 6/8Pin PCIe power connectors properly ? Did you connect the 8 Pin power connectors on the 8Pin input , or 6pin only ?