Sign in with
Your question

Ivy Bridge or Haswell, which is better for gaming and general performance?

Tags:
  • Performance
  • Computers
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
  • Gaming
Last response: in CPUs

Which one would you recommend?

Total: 0 vote

• Ivy Bridge
  • 0 %
  • Haswell
  • 0 %
November 11, 2013 8:45:24 AM

I'm going to be upgrading my computer - Motherboard and CPU precisely. I've read quite a lot and I'm stuck whether to go with Haswell or Ivy Bridge. Everyone seems to have a different opinion! Haswell apparently overclocks worse (which I'm probably not going to do anyway) and is ever so slightly better in games. Also, it seems to be more future proof as it's newer. But hey, I have to pay more for it!

I'm not sure whether to go with Ivy Bridge or Haswell. Which is the most future-proof? Are there any Ivy Bridge chipsets that are 'dead'? Which gives the most value for money? Do you recommend any motherboard or processors? If I'd go with Ivy then it's probably B75A-G43 GAMING motherboard and Intel Core i5 3470. If it's Haswell then probably i5-4670k. Any help is appreciated!

More about : ivy bridge haswell gaming general performance

a b à CPUs
November 11, 2013 8:52:34 AM

If you aren't overclocking, do not get the K version of the CPU. I have Haswell, I'm happy with it.
a c 902 à CPUs
a c 127 V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
November 11, 2013 10:54:53 AM

I would go with an ivy Xeon 1230 v2. It is an i7 without the igp. Future games will be taking advantage of hyperthreading going forward. Since you are not overclocking, it is your best option for a "future proof" rig. What is your actual budget for motherboard and CPU?
Related resources
November 11, 2013 10:59:54 AM

logainofhades said:
I would go with an ivy Xeon 1230 v2. It is an i7 without the igp. Future games will be taking advantage of hyperthreading going forward. Since you are not overclocking, it is your best option for a "future proof" rig. What is your actual budget for motherboard and CPU?

For my motherboard it's as low as I can get it really ;)  I guess £70-£80. It depends. I don't want to spend too much as the mobo isn't really what is going to give me the performance. The CPU is about £150 (maybe more depending on the mobo) but if I can get a decent motherboard which support better models, I will slowly upgrade towers them.

PS. What's igp?
a c 902 à CPUs
a c 127 V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
November 11, 2013 11:17:35 AM

IGP is integrated graphics. So £230 for both CPU and motherboard?
November 11, 2013 11:27:45 AM

logainofhades said:
IGP is integrated graphics. So £230 for both CPU and motherboard?

Oh, ok. I don't need it then as I have a dedicated GTX 650 Ti BOOST. As for the budget, around £230, yeah.
!