First gaming rig build, suggestions/tips

physiqz

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
I am building my first gaming rig. I used to be a hardcore pc gamer, unfortunately I could not afford the components for a gaming rig and became a hardcore sony consoler. Now that I can afford to get back into PC gaming after 8 years alot has changed. I am opting to build my own pc to get the best bang for the buck and need some suggestions.

Here is what I have so far. Below the items I will list what i need help on.

Its going to be an AMD am3+ build.

PSU - Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W Continuous@40°C
Mobo- ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
CPU - AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz
GPU - ASUS radeon r9 280x
Mem - G.SKILL Sniper Series 16gb (1866)
Liquid Cooling - Cooler Master Seidon 120V
SDD - Kingston SSDNow V300 120gb
HDD - Seagate Barrucuda 2tb
Optical - Asus or LG black BD-R (wifey wants a bluray burner lol)

Things I need help with -
PSU - the one listed is 129$ bronze and dont know how good it actually is, I want a 1000w gold mod, but dont want to spend 200 for one, I will be eventually crossfiring the GPU

CPU - I like the 8350, but 8350+ liquid cooling i could buy an 9370 that comes with an aztec liquid cooling system, but the 9370 is pretty much at its max and not alot of room for OC, suggestions?

Chassis - I have liked these two, other suggestions would be good, i like the blue/black scheme, and the cheaper the better
Thermaltake Overseer RX-I VN700M1W2N (full tower)
Corsair Carbide Series 500R (mid tower)

If i can find a crosshair v2 for the same price or cheaper than the sabertooth i may go with the crosshair as well...

If i get the 8350, i will be overclocking, if i get the 9370, then probably not, because i will need to invest in a much better liqcool.

Any suggestions and tips would be great.

1000w is stupid here. 650w is plenty.

I personally DO NOT like closed loop water cooling at all. It is a fad and isn't any better than good air coolers and is ALOT louder.

16gb RAM is pointless for gaming. It will offer NO performance over 8gb.

physiqz

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
650w will not allow me to get the oc and crossfire in the future, I want to have plenty of header for future upgrades.

I will not only be using it for gaming, i will be recording music, 3d rendering and animation.

Mainly gaming and recording.

But if 16gb is 20$ more than 8 gb, using a 2x8 instead of a 4x4, then why not?

750w will get you OC'ed and crossfire without issue. Most people VASTLY overestimate the wattage needed. I can break every component down for you to prove 750w is plenty if you like.

The RAM may be useful in animation, so if it really is only $20 more then I guess go for it. It won't do anything at all in gaming or recording music.

physiqz

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
my budget is 1k-1.3k , the wifey prefers it to be less, only reason she is letting me is because I am deployed right now and we are getting benifits i usually have to pay for and i buttered her up with a Kindle HDX, lol.

It would be helpful to list prices of each component, where you are buying from, and your total budget.
Even if you overclock and crossfire in the future, you will only need 850w. 1000w is overkill. Also take in consideration that rosewill psus aren't the best, so its a better idea to go with a higher quality 850w psu.

I would say change the cpu cooler to a higher end heatsink to get better cooling performance.

For the motherboard, you'll be fine with a cheaper board (Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 or Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0).

Lastly for the case, the 500r is the superior case.

physiqz

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
750w may be the answer. Im just looking into the future to much i guess, may want to get into custom looping. I just get very excited with technology and go overboard sometimes.

physiqz

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013

I was really nervouse about a 1kw psu for 129, I know why now. Thanks

I do not know a whole lot about psu brands besides corsair, and thermaltek. I just know to add up the watts of each component for the end game at peek loads and to leave room for header and future upgrades.

850w will most likely be more than enough.

Between tigerdirect, ebay, amazon and newegg I was able to get the price down to $991, on new egg alone it is 1347. Newegg is where i built the rig so i could save in my wishlist.

I am in no rush to buy all the components together, I will be shopping around for the next 3 months and shipping the products home so when I come off the deployment I can build it. I want to futureproof as much as possible, get the best rig possible for my budget as well.

Thermaltake DOES NOT make good PSUs.

You need to think about the REAL usages of each component. Not the SATED usages. I bet you would be surprised to learn that an r9 280x only uses 239w under MAX load. Add that to the 150w MAX including OC of the CPU and you have only 389w. Add some HDDs, fans, lights, etc. for about 50w-60w total (VERY overestimated), and you barely get to 450w MAX load.

Marcopolo123

Honorable
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($197.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme 81.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($98.99 @ Mac Mall)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card ($405.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $1275.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-11 14:24 EST-0500)

thermaltake cooler only cost ~ 60$, good oc
r9 290 very good performance would wait for non reference cooler.
xfx 850w gold, fully modular,sleeved only ~100$
gigabyte 990 very good motherboard only ~100$

you can downgrade to r9 280x if you wish
or take the cheaper cm evo cooler

physiqz

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
good build. But I cannot sacrifice the blu-ray burner, only thing my wife says she wants on it.

i like the psu
i like the upgraded SDD
the mobo would be plenty for my setup, im a huge fan of asus, never tried gigabyte before, may give em a shot. That board has decent room for expandability as well

chassis has no support for future custom looping.

i love the upgrade to the 290, which i may end up doing anyways, waiting to buy the gpu and cpu last to see if they go on sale.

mem, i really like gskill, but corsair is really good, i would prefer 1866, but i cant be picky on a budget build

True, if you can afford the RAM you might as well purchase it!