ASUS Xonar Essence STX + Klipsch Promedia 2.1 best way to go?

hazy7687

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
Hey guys doing some comp upgrades and its been too long since I had sound that could really put a smile on my face. Last decent set of speakers I had were some Creative 5.1s back when Creative still made good speakers (long ago).

I'm really more into 2.1 and the Klipsch Promedia's seem to be the best 2.1's out there (if I'm wrong please tell which are better). Just want to know if this combo will provide me the kick ass audio I want for listening to music primarily and also gaming/watching movie. If there's a better route to go please let me know.

My current setup is onboard audio on my Asus P8P67 Pro and some Logitech Z-2300s, not horrible by any means but these speakers just don't cut it.

Actually if you guys think I can make do with just my on board and upgrade only the speakers I'm willing to consider it.

All feedback is welcome I really need some help in the audio department I just don't know enough about audio stuff.

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
I have both sets, the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and the Logitech Z-2300, you will be disapointed if you order the Klipsch. I have been looking at Audioengine A5+, and the S8 subwoofer to go along with them, maybe for Christmas! I thought the Klipsch would be a step up from Logitech but I was wrong, using a ASUS Xonar D-1 sound card on each unit, but the speakers sound pretty much the same. The sound card you mentioned would be a big improvement over onboard sound, just start with that

hazy7687

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
Wow thats really unexpected but thanks for telling me that, maybe I will try the sound card first then. Thanks knightdog.

Now I have to find some way to try out the Klipsch's first :/

jamxpr1

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

I respectfully disagree. I have the Klipsch Promedia and have had them since 2005 There is a reason for that. over the years I have always fought the temptation of looking for ways to improve something. I just love technology, and when something new hits the streets I am right there evaluating, and comparing to suit my needs. I have yet to hear anything for the price beat out the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. I use the Asus Essence STX sound card and the Klipsch, this combo is a killer! Really, much of your choice will come down to the quality of your music,or source. There is a high varying degree of sound quality from MP3's to CD's or even sound coded for bluray.(movie soundtracks. Every one will have their favorite and likings ,and thats the way it is,but IMO,so far I have yet to find anything better than that combo without over spending. JAMXPR1