need page file advice

demarest

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I've started using Camtasia Studio for video editing. I'm creating multiple tracks, with lots of text effects and such. As I scale in and out of my timeline (and especially when I first load a saved project), I hear my platter drive crunching a lot.

I've decided to upgrade from 8 GB of RAM to 32 GB. I'm wondering if I can go ahead and disable my swap file, if I should run it in a ramdisk, or park it on my SSD. My video projects will be across a pair of platter drives and I'm reasonably certain that my CPU is the bottleneck when it comes time to render.

demarest

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I don't think programs can require a swap file, eh? They tell Windows they wish to have X bytes of (virtual) memory and Windows maps where that takes place, be it in physical memory or the page file.

My train of thought is that I played in Win7 with 4 GBs for awhile and have been doing swimmingly with 8 GB. I'm thinking stepping up to 32 GB and disabling page file would be my fastest option. Though I'm open to correction if I forget to dot an I somewhere.