New PC not displaying anything on monitor

Solution
If you disconnected the video card you added, plugged into the IGP port with a working cable and monitor, then you should get the initial logo or BIOS (the text stuff immediate after you hit the POWER button to turn it on). If not then the Mobo has a failure as well. I would suggest then to look up the maker and see if you can locate the 'watch battery' on the mobo. Unplug the PC, unplug the watch battery, then wait like 10 minute. Plug back in the battery then the power, try starting up, does it power on? Does it show BIOS. If still no, then your last choice would be to simply got to Walmart.com and for as little as $249 you can get a brand new i3 Core computer (or better yet laptop) with new parts, monitor, keyboard and mouse all in...

HeroponLuigi

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

ok so your saying pull out the ram memories and stick em back in? Sorry I am extremely new to this but from my understanding RAM are the 2 thin blue things attached to my motherboard correct? Power connections are good all I did was use DBAN I didnt mess with anything inside and it was working fine prior to
DBAN not to mention PC turns on just fine the only problem is it doesn't display anything

DBAN ERASES THE HARD DRIVE. So there is NOTHING on the COMPUTER TO BOOT TO (i.e. No Windows). If your not even getting a error from the BIOS (the startup code that says, what is a keyboard? what is a monitor? etc. then passes it all to the OPERATING system (OS) to say 'if you get this code, it means the user is using a mouse, if you get this code, it means show the picture on the monitor', etc.), then your BIOS maybe jacked up. You should normally see either the BIOS tell you it is a X type of Computer with so much ram then try to 'boot the hard drive/CD'. Sometime you just see the computer maker's logo as the 'BIOS'.

In either case, as you seem lost (and probably I confused you more), take this computer to someone whom is computer savvy (literate) either Best Buy or a friend. They can straighten things out more in person.

HeroponLuigi

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

Yea all I need is to be able to see something. If I could get to the BIOS maybe I could install everything myself the thing is I dont get any image on my monitor. The monitor just says there is no signal similar to when you turn on the monitor and the computer is off.

Well as I have no clue what computer this is, what model it is, what plugs it has or anything else, I can't be much help 'over the Internet'. I can only suggest that you see if there is a onboard video and plug into that first and see if you can see BIOS. If you still can't see that then check the monitor and cable (swap with a different monitor cable, check that monitor cable against a GOOD working PC, etc.). Otherwise I would suggest (as you do not seem to know computers) to do as I said and have a third party IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER to look at it.

HeroponLuigi

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

yea already did all that stuff. The Mobo does have IGP but it isn't picking anything up. I am positive the cable and monitor work though as I a using them right now on another pc. Whatever it is it'll be an easy fix I'm sure but I give up gonna have to pay someone.

If you disconnected the video card you added, plugged into the IGP port with a working cable and monitor, then you should get the initial logo or BIOS (the text stuff immediate after you hit the POWER button to turn it on). If not then the Mobo has a failure as well. I would suggest then to look up the maker and see if you can locate the 'watch battery' on the mobo. Unplug the PC, unplug the watch battery, then wait like 10 minute. Plug back in the battery then the power, try starting up, does it power on? Does it show BIOS. If still no, then your last choice would be to simply got to Walmart.com and for as little as $249 you can get a brand new i3 Core computer (or better yet laptop) with new parts, monitor, keyboard and mouse all in one box.

Solution

HeroponLuigi

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

the computer has been disconnected form a power source for hours but if I try it the same problem still happens. Should I still pull out the watch battery (probably not)? As for connecting to the IGP I can only do it with the GPU still connected. I have already tried pulling out the GPU because I thought it was maybe interfering with the IGP but if I disconnect the GPU the computer wont turn on. It starts for like one second (the fans do a few rotations) but then it shuts down. This is why I don't want to pay to get it fixed, something tells me that starting the pc without the GPU will allow me to get a signal on the Mobo's vga or dvi output. I just don't know what connection I have to make to get this to happen.

sam80jr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
make sure the monitor is on the right input...it probably defaults to the DVI port since that is more common. Try switching to a DVI cable as well. Also, make sure you arent plugging the monitor into the onboard VGA port and are plugging it into the discreet graphics card port. Most modern gpus dont have VGA anymore so Im guessing thats what you are doing...you are plugging it into the motherboards onboard video port WHILE a discreet GPU is installed

HeroponLuigi

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

I have tried all ports. The GPU has 2 DVI ports and one of them gets a signal but it that comes out on the monitor is a bunch of random colored squares then it changes to a bunch of black and white lines. So out of all 4 ports which are 2 dvi on the GPU and 1 dvi and 1 vga on the Mobo only 1 gets any signal. I should also point out that when I power the PC on there is no beep. Also it was working fine, I used DBAN so I didnt mess with anything inside, now I'm here. Was I supposed to disconnect the GPU or the RAM when I used DBAN on it?

Okay lets summerize here. 1) DBAN is software it doesn't break 'hardware' (like your cell phone service has no way to cause your cell phone to catch fire suddenly). 2) DBAN is going to 'stress' parts of the system as it wipes the whole hard drive, so if your system is ancient (it is) you can (and did) find further hardware problems. 3) If you remove the GPU, and there still is a place to connect on the motherboard your video , that is IGP (your wording is a bit off that makes it sounds like ONLY the GPU has the ports). Having the GPU out AND the system won't start is a BIG SYSTEM ERROR. Further your indicating there is no 'BEEP', the BEEP is the BIOS part of the Mobo so it says 'that is a keyboard, that is a mouse, etc.' before it hands off to the Operating System (Windows) hey when you get this 'code' that means he is hitting the F key, or if you get this 'code' then he is right clicking, etc.

That it DOES NOT BEEP at all, is a indicator the BIOS / Mobo is toast. The ONLY check for this is MY INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW. The battery still provides a 'charge' to keep the 'time' and setting, hence why I said "REMOVE THE BATTERY" after unplugging the power supply. If plugging it back in and the power (AS I SAID) doesn't work then your MOBO is DEAD.

Personally at this point, you wipes the OS, the mobo is acting up, the system is ancient, it is VERY COST EFFECTIVE to just dump it at this point and get a new PC from Walmart (nice i3 Core simple desktop (or better yet get a lappy!) with 6-8GB of RAM, 500GB-1TB Storage (HDD), Windows built in, normally comes with NEW LCD, Mouse and keyboard) all for a whopping $249!!!! If you want nice midrange a i5 with a seperate video card is only $100 more.

Black Friday is around the corner and even bigger deals will be had then or Cyber Monday. Getting parts individually would be too expensive in comparison (you have to buy new Mobo, New Cpu, new Memory all to match, then probably the power supply wouldn't be strong enough/right sockets, so there is a new case and PSU, etc.).

HeroponLuigi

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

thanx a lot for all your help man. Had no idea it was ancient but I guess that's how things work in the tech world. I want a powerful pc though and I figure this ancient set up might still outperform a $350 pc that comes with a screen keyboard and mouse. I did pull out 1 memory stick(it has 2 in there) and it worked somewhat(i could see the asus screen then it asked me to press a key to enter BIOS I believe, but the screen looked fuzzy) so I figured that maybe it was the ram but now neither stick gets this result which leads me to believe its the Mobo that's the problem. I'll probably buy a bunch of parts from newegg on cybermonday and build a new system.

TRENDING THREADS