newly put together pc wont start up | pc building noob stuck

Mark Benitez

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Ok, recently I tried to put together a new rig. So I did. As far as I see everything is plugged in.

All I got left over is a perif cable which I don't know what to do with

I first tested the motherboard on the box and listening to a new egg video on how to boot it without a case I put my keys in random holes where it looked like things can be plugged in on the mb.

So iginoring it, I put the build in the case and tried turning it on by the cases button, still didn't work. What could I have done wrong? Could I have broke something by ESD? I handled everything with care, the motherboard was the only part that I touched where there wasn't plastic etc so everything else such as the CPU or video card I touched by edges or fin/ edges

Could I have been shipped a dead motherboard? If so what do I do to get a new one, I have all boxes and etc still in perfect condition .

My build goes as follows:
I7 4770k
x2 8gb 1866 ram
MSI z87-g45 motherboard
4 GB gigabyte 770 oc edition
Corsair 200r
Toshiba 256 GB ssd

I was standing on a rug the whole time with socks, is that bad?

I feel this would be easier for me unless its simple to explain, to have a call on Skype so visually you can see what's going on

My Skype is: nightmaregames.13
I'll be on from 2:30 pm to 9 pm east coast united states time

Thanks for any feedback, I need it

Solution

well that won't work if you have a video card in. No wonder you get no picture. lol. If you have the video card, the onboard is disabled and you have to plug into the video card, or remove the video card and plug into the motherboard. can't be both.

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Standing on a rug with socks is bad yeah lol.

When you try and power it on. Does nothing happen at all? do you see fans spinning or is it just completely dead as if you didnt even press a power button?

Mark Benitez

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

Absolutely nothing happens

Mark Benitez

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

I tried flipping the switch but it didn't make a difference, I have no idea whether "O" is on or "l" is so I tried both

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Could you take a photo of the motherboard in the case showing the connected cables etc?

Basic things I always check when this happens.

Is the power cable of the case connected to the right pins.
Is the PSU power button at the back on.
Is the PSU power cable connected properly and has power.

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

the I should be down. As in the O should be on the side thats lifted

Make sure all necessary power cables are plugged in. I had a buddy of mine forget to plug in the 4/8 pin connector for the CPU power, and he called me up to look at it for him. At first I thought it was a grounding issue because he only had a few motherboard standoffs installed, so we fixed that but the issue persisted. Then upon further inspection I noticed that the 4/8 pin power cable coming from the power supply was not plugged in. We plugged it in and the computer fired right up. lol.

Your motherboard manual has step by step instructions in it. Just use that guide and go back through step by step. Pay particular attention to the front panel connector jumpers. These are used for your power/reset button on your case and are plugged into the motherboard in order to trigger power on/reset when pressed. Hope this helps.

Mark Benitez

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

Heres on I'm taking more:
http://gyazo.com/8e343e318bf953c238f091cb33dd67f4

Mark Benitez

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

I plugged in the cpu1 cable and everything else as I saw on the manual I can take pics of sections up close

http://gyazo.com/5c2c2ba7ccea65bc1946184ce4537b2d

http://gyazo.com/ca0b0c5a2f636c2ad8816a1890db9ae3

http://gyazo.com/80c640e12a3bcac05903da5db823132d

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Ok. It would seem that from your photos that you didnt connect the JFP1 cables. The case cables as in the HD led, Power sw, Reset sw.. Can you take a closer photo of the part above the PSU to the right/under of the cmos battery

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
if you look at this

http://content.hwigroup.net/images/products/xl/186948/msi_z87g45_gaming.jpg

On the left of the photo at the bottom of the first PCI slot to the left. Theres a jfp1 and jfp2 connector. It has text there saying Power, HD led, reset etc.

Those don't seem to have any cables connected to it in your photo :) If thats not connected then the power button on the case isn't connected to the motherboard. So nothing will happen.

Mark Benitez

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

no, i havent been able to do anything since i posted, im thinking about taking everything apart and rebuilding it in 30 min when i get home

Mark Benitez

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

I remember plugging something into something with jfp but i think it was only jfp1

ZionZA

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

On your photos it shows nothing connected to it

Mark Benitez

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

Ok now I got it to start up but I can't get anything on screen I plugged a blue cable into a vga
Port assuming it goes there since its the only one where it fits, I'll get a HDMI cable later today hopefully but what do I check to solve this

well that won't work if you have a video card in. No wonder you get no picture. lol. If you have the video card, the onboard is disabled and you have to plug into the video card, or remove the video card and plug into the motherboard. can't be both.

Solution

Mark Benitez

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

Ok, thanks

Mark Benitez

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
OK it works now perfectly im posting this from my PC!
Thanks everybody for your help!

Just one question is 90 degrees farinhiet exceptable for cpu? Its usually around 80 but the highest ive seen was 90 while multitasking