Xbox One Unusable Without Day One Patch

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Xbox
Last response: in News comments
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
November 12, 2013 10:50:03 AM

Console launches rarely go off without a hitch, and it looks like the Xbox One will be no exception. In an interview with Engadget, Microsoft admitted that the Xbox One would be effectively useless without a patch coming on day one.

Xbox One Unusable Without Day One Patch : Read more

More about : xbox unusable day patch

November 12, 2013 11:06:14 AM

this makes no sense at all. So what does the O/S being shipped with the unit good for?
Score
a b 4 Gaming
November 12, 2013 11:07:33 AM

red ring, red ring haha
Score
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
November 12, 2013 11:08:49 AM

so.. people will be buying a piece of brick on day one? nice going microsoft :pt1cable: 
Score
November 12, 2013 11:12:24 AM

I think they've done this intentionally to troll on people who get their console early.
Score
November 12, 2013 11:13:10 AM

So much for offline play on Day 1.
Score
November 12, 2013 11:24:16 AM

That's just sad... From the looks of things, all I'll need is a 770 to keep up for the next few years... if not the entire generation.
Score
November 12, 2013 11:25:19 AM

I'm not really sure any new bad publicity can tank the new console's reputation any further. Have to give Microsoft credit where it is due though.
Score
November 12, 2013 11:26:04 AM

Didn't Wii U have the same, actually worse off, day one patch? Like requiring massive download taking several hours?
Score
November 12, 2013 11:30:26 AM

Although I'm still happy with my original fat PS3 whose 40GB HDD was replaced with 500GB, I know I'm not going to buy any console on its first batch any more, setting aside day one configuration. The same thing goes for AAA game series with history of day-one glitches like Batman and BF. I am not willing to pay for frustration just enjoy being an early adopter.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
November 12, 2013 11:34:45 AM

Why don't companies ever learn from the PR disasters that others experience. The press had a field day when Nintendo did the same thing with the Wii so Microsoft decides to do the same thing? Someone should be fired.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
November 12, 2013 11:41:18 AM

All the whining about a patch that might take 20 minutes. Nor is it unexpected for a console and it happens on PC's too.

It's not even proof that this was "rushed"; they had to build up inventory so there's been months to work on updates since the last OS build.
Score
November 12, 2013 11:45:34 AM

JD88 said:
Why don't companies ever learn from the PR disasters that others experience. The press had a field day when Nintendo did the same thing with the Wii so Microsoft decides to do the same thing? Someone should be fired.

Answer: Capitalism and Shareholder pressure for Profit Maximizing.

When they compare the negative PR and profit generation from going something like this, companies tend to focus on net gain. From this perspective, sitting with hardware already assembled until their software patch completion is definitely not an option. One can argue why they can't parallel HW and SW development so that all HW can be equipped with the latest SW when they are assembled. They may, but it will require lots of planning and implementing, if possible. Simply put, profit first. These days executives are evaluated by quarterly earning calls, and they have less incentives to look any further than a few future quarterly results. Why more retailers open earlier on Thanksgiving in spite of seemingly rages from consumers? The same reason: net profit maximization.
Score
November 12, 2013 11:53:07 AM

Umm the PS4 will have a day one patch look it up can't even play Blu rays movies with out it, it seems all consoles have this issues (Xbox one, and Wii U). The best thing about consoles in the "golden" years was just put a game in and play. Now you have to update the consoles then patch the games as well. I don't know why people just save the heache and invest in a PC.
Score
November 12, 2013 11:53:41 AM

You could get a 7870 and it would be superior to either console.
Score
November 12, 2013 11:54:05 AM

Keep in mind that PS4 is going the same route as well from what I've heard...
Score
November 12, 2013 11:54:52 AM

The same people who worked on xb1 must have worked on win 8 too.
Score
November 12, 2013 12:08:44 PM

Forcing consumers to join console to internet and the best way to force consumers to register console. Not a huge deal as long as it works well after and does not require XBox Live to patch.
Score
November 12, 2013 12:09:13 PM

ahhhhh the good ol days of having a gaming system where you could just pop in your favorite game cartridge and play to your hearts extent... no patches, no internet connection, no DLC, no big brother watching what you play, just you the game and the tv.
Score
November 12, 2013 12:24:49 PM

"I approve of this."

- NSA
Score
November 12, 2013 12:31:52 PM

mobrocket said:
this makes no sense at all. So what does the O/S being shipped with the unit good for?

To reduce the amount of data that needs to be downloaded in the day one patch.
Score
November 12, 2013 12:49:09 PM

"ahhhhh the good ol days of having a gaming system where you could just pop in your favorite game cartridge and play to your hearts extent... no patches, no internet connection, no DLC, no big brother watching what you play, just you the game and the tv"

I miss those days.... Im tried of being treated like a thief for buying a game.

The thieves don't have to deal with this crap. Their copies are drm stripped and just work.
Score
November 12, 2013 12:51:35 PM

Innocent_Bystander said:
That's just sad... From the looks of things, all I'll need is a 770 to keep up for the next few years... if not the entire generation.

If you have a GTX 770 and an eight thread processor (e.g. AMD FX 8350/Intel 4770K), you will outpace the new consoles for however long they last.
Score
November 12, 2013 12:56:18 PM

And the Nexus 5 was unusable without day one update...lets no quarrel over the little things here.
Score
November 12, 2013 1:01:19 PM

So it does require an internet connection.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
November 12, 2013 1:02:31 PM

720 p no longer interests me

Seriously if the trick is to force you to register anything I say forget this you don't need all my info without paying for it.

I paid you for your hardware you can pay me for my info
Score
November 12, 2013 1:02:49 PM

I get that this IS a PC focused tech site but the last paragraph of this article reads like it's from a PC-fanboy in the comments section. There is a very consoles-r-teh-suxxorz/PCrulz vibe to it that doesn't seem very professional to me and it adds nothing to the article other than the author's own opinion. It just comes off as very "sour grapes" to me.
Score
November 12, 2013 1:03:08 PM

Straight out of the box, it can't do anything. You have to agree to end user license agreement(s) to get it to do anything. This way, the consumer is officially not entitled to anything, and anything can be taken away at any time. A particular feature down the road opens up an exploit, so now that feature can be removed, because it was never part of the original purchase agreement. Ultimately, its lawyers who decide company policy. Ok enough of that nonsense.... =)

I'm sure they've looked at the figures, and decided, it's more important to be first out of the gate, than perfect.
Score
November 12, 2013 1:11:08 PM

spentshells said:
720 p no longer interests me

Seriously if the trick is to force you to register anything I say forget this you don't need all my info without paying for it.

I paid you for your hardware you can pay me for my info

Actually, to me 720P was not an issue at all. I played BF3 both on PS3 and PC, and the experience were the same, except that PC allows larger players. Actually I preferred PS3 for controller. Also I couldn't tell much difference from even those youtube videos comparing PC vs consoles for BF4, unless constantly focusing on them. Not a big deal, at least for some gamers.
Score
November 12, 2013 1:13:19 PM

Okay I have no interest in either console [PC gamer myself], but I don't understand the hate here. They had finalized hardware in place for months. Do you want them to just hit pause on working on the software between then and release so you can play games on day one without internet, or have them continue improving and have a day one patch?

On top of this, every single patch for the 360 was required, and wouldn't let you sign in until it was applied, I don't know why y'all expect this to be so different.

And seriously, after all the hardware reviews and then subsequently updating those reviews based on new drivers being released, and right after the AMD R9-290/X fiasco, you talk about this being rushed because it needs an update? Sounds a bit overboard with the PC bias if you ask me.
Score
November 12, 2013 1:20:28 PM

This is yet another reason I game on PC...
Score
November 12, 2013 1:20:33 PM

meh PS4 needs day one activation too.

He could of pointed out the ps4 also needs to be activated to play online, to play blu-rays, and a few other things too.
Score
November 12, 2013 1:21:40 PM

I don't get it, whats the problem here. AFAIK that patch is/has already been live for some time now.
Score
November 12, 2013 1:27:40 PM

Quote:
"I get that this IS a PC focused tech site but the last paragraph of this article reads like it's from a PC-fanboy in the comments section. There is a very consoles-r-teh-suxxorz/PCrulz vibe to it that doesn't seem very professional to me and it adds nothing to the article other than the author's own opinion. It just comes off as very "sour grapes" to me."

Well, consoles are teh suxxorz. Do you want him to lie to you?
Score
November 12, 2013 1:54:12 PM

that's awesome. that way people can't brag they had it a day early :D 
Score
November 12, 2013 2:06:52 PM

...and STILL NO REVIEW OF THE Surface 2 and Surface 2 Pro???
Score
November 12, 2013 2:14:25 PM

Isn't this illegal? Willingly selling a defective product? What if the buyer doesn't even have an internet connection? I refuse to believe that Microsoft is able to get away with this.
Score
November 12, 2013 2:42:09 PM

Earlier today, Sony announced that software update 1.50 will be released alongside the initial launch of the PS4. It’ll weigh in at a hefty 300MB, and will enable a number of vital aspects of the new console. Specifically, this update will include Vita Remote Play, second screen functionality with tablets, gameplay recording, game broadcast, play-as-you-download support, multi-account functionality, party chat, face recognition, voice commands, a background music player, online multiplayer, and the ability to play Blu-ray and DVD movies. If you can’t pull down the patch immediately, none of those core features will work at all on your shiny new $399 chunk of plastic and silicon.
Score
November 12, 2013 2:52:28 PM

Quote:
All the whining about a patch that might take 20 minutes. Nor is it unexpected for a console and it happens on PC's too.

What are you talking about? what version of any OS has shipped in a condition to where it could not be properly used offline before being updated online (and don't twist this into "you need to run updates" (which were released after the OS) or "you need to install drivers" (which is a completely different arguement)

So clarify for me, exactly when has there been a crippling bug in any retail OS upon release that would, without exception, cause it to be unusable offline without an online update?
Score
November 12, 2013 3:19:48 PM

Consoles have completely lost their edge against PC's. They used to be simple to use and hassle free. I think that was one of the main lures of a console vs a pc. you give up the ability to upgrade your system as time goes on for a cheaper system that just works out of the box.

Back in the days of PS1 and Xbox, you just turned it on, put in a disc and played your game. It ran flawlessly, any bugs were either embraced as funny glitches, or the game failed as it was a poorly designed game. PC's back in the day you used to have deal with getting directx installed, drivers up to date, game patches, work around compatibility issues, etc... PC's have gotten FAR better now days with most stuff just working after an installation and a couple patches to bring it up to speed so you can play online. Consoles have worked backwards to catch up to PC's and in the process have lost their advantage. Cost wise they don't really save you money vs a basic gaming pc anymore, and they require system updates, game installs, patches, etc... just like a pc does. Why should we give up the upgradability and open architecture of a pc for a console anymore? Where's the benefit? I just dont see it.
Score
November 12, 2013 3:49:35 PM

Patch on day one to use it??? That's pretty bad
Score
November 12, 2013 4:52:47 PM

Makes not playing CDs without an update seem insignificant.
Score
November 12, 2013 4:54:12 PM

MKBL said:
Although I'm still happy with my original fat PS3 whose 40GB HDD was replaced with 500GB, I know I'm not going to buy any console on its first batch any more, setting aside day one configuration. The same thing goes for AAA game series with history of day-one glitches like Batman and BF. I am not willing to pay for frustration just enjoy being an early adopter.

I learned this lesson with PS2. I got one of the first batches to reach the US. It was a complete POS. The console burned out after a year because the early models suffered from heat sink dust clogging. It wasn't even in a dust prone environment (elevated 6 feet up and hanging from metal platform). My next one was the PS2 slim, which was INFINITELY better than the first PS2s. It was half the price, had many features integrated that were pricey add-ons to the early models, and it still works till this day!
Score
November 12, 2013 5:58:14 PM

Interestingly enough this could work as a way to see how many sales they have made down to a exact number without the data from the retail stores that stock the units. Not that I believe this is the reason for it but certainly could be used as a advantage to Microsoft.
Score
November 12, 2013 8:47:42 PM

Why not update them at the factory, consider it additional QA and fewer RMA's as the consoles will have a pre shipment check.
Score
November 12, 2013 9:10:05 PM

Sorry kids. There is nothing illegal about this so it's their rules or you don't play.
Score
November 12, 2013 10:22:50 PM

What the... The monkeys at Microsoft aren't smart enough to release a freaking DVD disc with the update so people can use their console hassle free? I sometimes wonder what the hell goes on in Microsoft that made them lack so much common sense.
Score
November 12, 2013 11:00:52 PM

Well, if you set the bar low then the only way to go is up...
Score
November 13, 2013 5:05:56 AM

I doubt the patch is for updating the console. I bet my money it's an activation patch so people with stolen consoles or black market units can't use them before launch day.
Score
November 13, 2013 6:24:30 AM

photonboy said:

It's not even proof that this was "rushed"; they had to build up inventory so there's been months to work on updates since the last OS build.

It's completely unexpected to ever have to patch a console.

I never had to do so with my Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, TurboGrafx 16, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Sega 32x, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation, Playstation 2, Gameboy or Game Gear.

The internet has made developers lazy. No they can just let early adopters be beta testers and release patches later. They didn't release such crummy products when they had no second chance. If they did the product would be a failure.

What will people do whom only have dial up or no connection to get the patch? There's plenty of reason to complain. There's no need to be an apologist. Microsoft screwed up many times on the XBox One. It speaks of laziness and incompetence behind the scenes.
Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!